Will WWE and AEW actually be competition?

The Nerd

Ok didnt know where to post this. But figured I'd do it here.

Let me start by saying this, AEW won't fail. It can't. Especially with financial and smart minds behind creative and talent. AEW will prosper for sure. They just won't eclipse WWE in ultimate notoriety and power. Now at first they'll get more ratings. Because it's popular and fresh. Hell, why do you think they didn't a Monday slot? AEW isn't foolish. But I will ALSO say this, if Vince doesn't get his head out his ass quick, fast and in a hurry anything and I mean anything can happen. Because what Vince doesn't realize is this, demand and popularity may go hand in hand but they are not exclusive by any means necessary. One is more loyal than the other. Separation is not anxiety and failure is not for the weak but when it comes to competition anything goes. So whether this started as a rivalry or not, ultimately it already became one the minute Cody left the company. Vince didn't see enough value you in Cody leaving so he granted his release. And now we come full circle to him part owning a company that is now the alternative. NJPW doesn't have a TV deal in the US to my knowledge. Impact or whatever it's called now, does but, meh. ROH? I'm not sure. Point being, this is a big deal. Cody is a star, Kenny is a star, The Bucks are stars, but more than all that, Jericho is a star, a legit star. He has notoriety, fame and huge musical presence(regardless of how much Fozzy sales) but he's on different shows here and there or award shows and shit. So Jericho dead ass, will bring in ratings alone and for sure. And imagine how many more free agents or jump ships could occur in the coming months. This is a long post but I'm passionate about wrestling and it just brings excitement for me when I know WWE is going to fuel off this shit. Somehow, someway, WWE will get it's shit together creatively. They already have some gems in there but just wait. Both companies are going to prosper and benefit from this. I know this is all over the place but what do you guys think? Do you care if they compete, directly or indirectly? Do you believe this is good for both sides? Etc..

WWEs ratings arent even good anyway. Not in the grand scheme of things. AEW dont have that much of a steep hill to climb to at least match them. After some time anyway.

Won't even matter considering they are not on the same night.

If they will be competition isn't really the question. They are two opposing brands, so they will be competition by default. Whether they will be strong competition is the real question. Only time will tell. In the meantime, yeah...they're an alternative to WWE...they are competition.

I think they can be. I don't know that they will be to start off (at least, not in a very big way) but I think they have all the potential to build their stock up to being a serious contender. They're starting up at a perfect time too, because WWE's booking and storylines are at a major low, and it seems their ratings are tanking as a result.

It's not like they will threaten WWE or eclipse WWE, but if they're smart about it, they could do better than WWE at certain areas where the WWE wants to have a bigger presence. WWE wants to be culturally relevant and never is because people look at them like carny idiots at the end of the day, but because of how AEW presents themselves, they might present something more easily accepted by mainstream outfits and such.

In an actual real general sense? no. Some jobbers and mid carders will jump ship, but they aint gonna get any main eventers.

Also, cut out the "it wont fail because it has a rich guy and "smart people in creative". TNA also had rich owners, who were worth 5 billion, also more than Vince and you're judging way too soon to see how Cody and his friends book this to say theyre smart in creative...

WWE have the Network, shows all over the world, and TV deals in basically every country in existence. Your "who knows what will happen" is way too over doing it lol.

TNA had Hulk Hogan. That's a bigger draw than anything AEW have.

In an actual real general sense? no. Some jobbers and mid carders will jump ship, but they aint gonna get any main eventers.

Also, cut out the "it wont fail because it has a rich guy and "smart people in creative". TNA also had rich owners, who were worth 5 billion, also more than Vince and you're judging way too soon to see how Cody and his friends book this to say theyre smart in creative...

WWE have the Network, shows all over the world, and TV deals in basically every country in existence. Your "who knows what will happen" is way too over doing it lol.

Dean Ambrose and Chris Jericho (and Omega for NJPW) are not midcarders. And Hulk Hogan was not a draw in the late 00's.

Dean Ambrose and Chris Jericho (and Omega for NJPW) are not midcarders. And Hulk Hogan was not a draw in the late 00's.

I wouldn't go that far. There are certain names, (ie. Hogan, Rock, Stone Cold, maybe Taker) who will always be draws to non-wrestling fans.

Not sure I follow by "Draw for non-wrestling fans". I mean, I do for The Rock, because he's a legitimate movie star and I've legit met people who had no idea he used to wrestle, but not sure I'd say the same for Hogan, Cena, etc. They will always be wrestlers, and I doubt Hulk Hogan ever got people who don't care about wrestling to watch TNA. Maybe a few nostalgia channel flips for an episode from old fans who don't watch anymore, but nothing more than that.

The problem with TNA and even WCW was that they would get any past WWE guy and push them to the top and in the process hold their own talent down. AEW seems different, they seem like they actually want to use star power to build new stars. They arent just going to take anybody from WWE and make them World champ for quick buzz. I believe AEW when they say they arent trying to compete with WWE but just chip at some of the market. To continue the comparison, WCW and to a lesser extent TNA were trying to directly compete with WWE and get to their level. AEW is going to be successful because they are going to focus on themselves instead of what WWE is doing.

WM 18 was basically sold on Hogan's first WWE match since his return. He then won the WWE Undisputed belt the next month. To say he wasn't a draw in the 2000's is laughable. He was main eventing Smackdown almost every week in 2002 and 2003 when he was there.

WM 18 was basically sold on Hogan's first WWE match since his return. He then won the WWE Undisputed belt the next month. To say he wasn't a draw in the 2000's is laughable. He was main eventing Smackdown almost every week in 2002 and 2003 when he was there.

Dude, he said LATE 2000's, and you tried to disprove him with early 2000's examples lol.

Dude, he said LATE 2000's, and you tried to disprove him with early 2000's examples lol.

My bad then. Multi-tasking right now with two kids. Him and Orton had a good feud in 2006 that culminated in a Summerslam match. That was pretty much his only time in WWE but it was over. He then went to TNA. But who knows how his late 00 run would have went if he would've stayed with WWE. TNA is like the Cleveland Browns. No matter how good you are, being on that team will drag you down. Ask AJ Styles.

It's not like they will threaten WWE or eclipse WWE, but if they're smart about it, they could do better than WWE at certain areas where the WWE wants to have a bigger presence. WWE wants to be culturally relevant and never is because people look at them like carny idiots at the end of the day, but because of how AEW presents themselves, they might present something more easily accepted by mainstream outfits and such.

They won't be a threat market-wise...but they will be a threat when it comes to talent...(so long as they can uphold their promises). Talent jumping from WWE to AEW for better pay and better opportunities is sure to be a thing...as well as young talents signing with AEW instead of WWE. So, yeah...I think there's specific level in which they are a threat to WWE...and I think talent scouting is going to be it. Also...possibly competing for venues when they get a bit bigger. It will be a competition for resources, rather than a competition head to head.

Then you won't like hearing what Vince did in the 80s with Wrestlemania and during the Attitude Era. Or probably what WCW did with Hogan, Nash, and Hall, from their hiring to nWo. Though, AEW should build a solid audience first, I guess.

I actually think AEW could be a competitor to WWE in all senses.. as long as they don't rush things. Years of consistent good work and providing a better product than WWE while simultaneously giving talent more incentive to sign with them rather than with WWE could eventually build up to that IMO.

Archived