Why the brand split is hurting the company

abhunter

The brand split is something personally I really enjoy. I think it is necessary because of the large amount of talent that the WWE currently has, and I feel like fans have been conditioned to believe there should be 2 world champions, and 2 tag champs, etc etc.

On paper, this seems all well and good; but I think we are starting to see how the brand split is hurting the company. Wrestlemania was the longestnit has ever been? Why? Because we feel the need to have every champion represented?

If you merge the brands, you can solve this issue IMO. Have 1 world champ, 1 tag title, 1 US title, the IC title, and The CW title for the men

And have the womens tag and womens main belts for females.

You might say oh but then people wont get used! I say bullshit. They can start treating it more like a sport, guys going after number one contenderships; main events that are for the IC, TAG, and US titles; and it can give a lot more freedom to everyone on who they can work and develop with.

This will make there be more personal feuds rather than EVERYONE getting a turn with a belt.

Half of the matches of Wrestlemania were none title matches. And two title matches were put onto the pre-show. And there was only one Women's title match. Wrestlemania would be just as long without the brand split.

AJ Styles vs Randy Orton

Shane McMahon vs The Miz

Trah vs Drax

Baron Corbin vs Kurt Angle

The Elias segment

Hulk Hogan & Wrestlemania Hosts all lasted for ages

Meanwhile

The US, IC and Universal title match lasted about 30 minutes in total. The Raw Tag Title match wasn't even booked until shortly before Wrestlemania

"We feel the need to have every Champion represented?"

Well... Yes?

Look at the fallout from the Brock Lesnar scenario, its viewed as one of the worst title runs in history because it wasn't represented as much. God forbid that the Champions are showcased on their biggest show of the year too.

The split isn't what is hurting the company. It is their mishandling of talent, poor and inconsistent booking. If you want to look at Wrestlemania for the reason then Legion hit the nail on the head. Most of the time they will put their attraction matches over things like Championships or a quality match.

Strongly disagree OP. Every title should be represented at Mania, and tbh the issue of length lies more in the overwhelming amount of championships than in a brand split. If they opted to unify the world titles and the tag belts (and maybe the Womens too) and just had the brands switch off per PPV as to who gets to challenge, I think that would solve a lot of issues. But even then, it'd mean missing some good stuff. One World title almost certainly would've meant Kofi-Mania never would have happened.

But even so, there'd still be long WrestleMania's with the sheer amount of talent that the company has. They'd still be cramming as many matches on there as they can.

Plus PPV length is honestly the least of their concerns. Poor talent management, poor writing, and poor booking is top priority right now. I don't care how long a show is, as long as it's well booked and I'm invested. This past WrestleMania? Long as shit, but the show itself well booked, so I was enjoying myself all the way through.

You call bullshit on less people being used when not on a brand split, but it's true. The last time the split ended? SmackDown became meaningless. The stories told on it barely mattered and often were nothing more than TV feuds, or just rehashed segments from RAW. Plus half the guys on it were just on TV the night before on RAW. I specifically remember getting sick of nonstop Sheamus, Big Show & del Rio appearances as they were always double booked. There's already a scramble for TV time, with people like Gallows/Anderson, Breezango or Sanity going months without seeing the light of anything but Main Event, but without the split? That list would grow substantially.

The Split isnt the problem, the problem is the people booking things and the man in charge of the final say of all of it.

If WWE ends the split it would only add even more issue to talent getting opportunity to be built up.

I dont even take this brand split moaning seriously, because it comes mostly from people who dont think far ahead.

Do the people think Corbin wont suck once the brand split is gone? That the tag division magicaly will be better? That they will stop write awful storylines and book stupid?

Do people think they will stop having the same 4-5 people on every show every week?

They have split the brand and still do crap, they have a restriction of what? 20 people they could use but only use half of that? What do people think will happen with 40 people they could use? That they WILL use them?

The brand split is the least of all problems.

Everything about the way WWE operates is hurting the WWE. Booking, storylines, the way the rosters are divided, continuity problems, repetition, lackluster commentary, sabotaging debuts and returns before they have the chance to get off the ground, being publicly traded and having sponsors to bow to...it all adds up. And at least half of those problems are Vince related (as usual).

Nah the brand split helps... I mean, no one gave two shits about Smackdown when they were merged a few years ago, and then SD went to beating RAW pretty often.

Ratings don't mean shit in 2019 before anyone brings that up.

Also no one said you have to watch all of the mania matches and whatever. Skip the parts you don't care about, or maybe watch it in parts over a few days?

Remember the RAW Supershow? Yeah,that sucked. Personally, I was extremely relieved and excited when they brought back the brand split. The problem is the man in charge has his head so far up his rear end, that he has all these crap ideas and and stupid decisions. Vince is a detriment to his own company.

Nah the brand split helps... I mean, no one gave two shits about Smackdown when they were merged a few years ago, and then SD went to beating RAW pretty often.

Also no one said you have to watch all of the mania matches and whatever. Skip the parts you don't care about, or maybe watch it in parts over a few days?

Yeah they do when they're declining this rapidly.

Then why are WWE making "adjustments" due to the decline of ratings? They're not telling the fans that they're going to start listening to them for the sake of it now, are they?

The only people who say that are people who don't understand what they are or what they mean.

You've only seen or heard people say that about television in general so you've decided to repeat it here for some reason.

The only people who say that are people who don't understand what they are or what they mean.

You've only seen or heard people say that about television in general so you've decided to repeat it here for some reason.

didnt you leave?

ratings are down everywhere. even the super bowl broke records for the lowest viewed ever.

Thats because TV product consumption is going down in general... but its not down completely yet is it? So that doesnt mean that ratings dont matter. They matter very much, now more than ever. If the ratings get too low the show gets cancelled and WWE lose a lot of money. Who knows what the future is for the sports entertainment on streaming services? Its relatively untested, even their own network. They even have to worry about the ratings for that, especially because they are competing against other streaming services.

And yes I did leave. For a little while anyway, why do you ask? Not have anything worthwhile to say so youre trying to pick on anything you can? Thought so. You know Im exactly right. You have just heard people talking about how TV consumption is changing so you thought saying that ratings not mattering in 2019 would make you look smart, but you dont really know what youre talking about.

Ratings might not be important as they used to be but they are still just as important.

I don't see how the brand split in general is hurting the company when they don't know how to use their talent. If the brand split is neglected, I think that it will be worse as rarely anyone would get opportunities because they would showcase the same people all the time. I think if they used their talent correctly then they wouldn't have a problem.

The ratings are going down everywhere, yes. The problem with the WWE right now is that viewers are leaving faster than the average decline. That's not good. And that's why we got them hotshoting things last week. So clearly they are concerned, too. The thing is, though, they don't seem to understand what's fundamentally wrong with their product which includes treating the brand split like they've had. So if they think they've successfully shoveled themselves out of shit, they're dead wrong.

Archived