Loot Boxes

Rekka_No_Ryo

Hate how are being sold at the moment.

So long as IRL money isn't a viable way to purchase loot boxes, I'm fine with them.

If the only way of purchasing them is with in-game currency (without the "pay real money for in-game currency" bollocks) then go for it.

*Censored* pay to win shit

If they have to have them they should be cosmetic only

Either way they should be registered as gambling. Belgium have it like that meaning games like FIFA are 18+ there lol.

*Censored* pay to win shit

If they have to have them they should be cosmetic only

Either way they should be registered as gambling. Belgium have it like that meaning games like FIFA are 18+ there lol.

I second this. At the end of the day loot boxes are gambling and we should not be allowing it in kid's games.

Only reason they're not is because "you get something in return". Apparently it's only gambling if there's a chance to win nothing.

Which is clearly an outdated law.

I have absolutely no issue with loot boxes when they are free.

And I have minimal issues with them when they cost money.

Honestly, the only serious issue that I have with them, is when the core game is essentially crippled without them. If it's merely a case of "you can pay $0.99 to unlock something without playing to earn it"...I'm fine with that, because I'll just play to unlock it. But when that becomes "you can't unlock this thing without paying $0.99 to unlock it"...that's when I call shenanigans. I mean...I feel like loot boxes essentially train children to be addicted to gambling, which is proper shit, tbh.

But, as an adult...loot boxes don't bother me. Because, I have self control.

Also, what bothers me more than loot boxes, is unreasonably expensive DLC. Like...Smash Bros with characters that cost $4.99 a piece. That shit is out of control. $4.99 should be the price for around 3 characters (two at the bare minimum)...not one.

I didn't read all that cause, O_O, but I did like the part where the chick asked the devs,to disable her purchase ability and they quickly followed through

Loot boxes don't bother me much cause I tend to stay out of the online environment. The only time it bothered me was in WWE2k18 in Career Mode and I'm not sure if VC could be purchased or not there. I get why people hate them and I get why they do those and other microtransactions. Seeing the numbers Take Two and Activision Blizzard can rake in, why would they ever stop it, you know? Those corporate blood suckers need to feed.

The biggest thing that peeves me in the MT environment beside pay to win is pay to cheat. Long gone are the glory days of unlocking cheat codes with hard work, you know, sheeit you get for actually playing and progressing. And I still don't condone the accelerator in WWE games, the part where you pay to manipulate in game stats. They can kiss my whole ass for that one

If it's merely a case of "you can pay $0.99 to unlock something without playing to earn it"

isnt that just dlc?

loot box is the random chance, but if you pay 0.99 to get, IDK, a skin you want, that's DLC. if you pay for a random chance to get it, that's a loot box

. And I still don't condone the accelerator in WWE games, the part where you pay to manipulate in game stats. They can kiss my whole ass for that one

that's dlc. itd be a loot box if you paid and then got a random chance to get the accelerator, and you could instead get idk, an attire for john cena, and had to keep paying till you finally get the accelerator

Also, what bothers me more than loot boxes, is unreasonably expensive DLC. Like...Smash Bros with characters that cost $4.99 a piece. That shit is out of control. $4.99 should be the price for around 3 characters (two at the bare minimum)...not one.

would you rather those 3 characters be loot boxes where you pay 1 dollar for a random chance to get one of three, and you might get 5 Joker's in a row, and you might pay £47 before you get all three

also I heard new characters in Smash Bros comes with a new stage and new music tracks

If it's merely a case of "you can pay $0.99 to unlock something without playing to earn it"

isnt that just dlc?

loot box is the random chance, but if you pay 0.99 to get, IDK, a skin you want, that's DLC. if you pay for a random chance to get it, that's a loot box

No, that is not DLC. I said nothing about paying to "unlock a skin you want". I said you pay to unlock something instead of earning it. It could still be entirely random. Plenty of games do it.

Most of the time, there is a mini game that requires gold coins or gems...and you get them naturally while playing the game. But, you can also pay for coins or gems...and then use those to play the mini game. It's still a variant of loot boxes. I'm playing a game right now that does it (Alvastia Chronicles on Switch). And like I said...I don't mind it. Because, earning coins and gems via normal gameplay is still an option (albeit a much slower one).

And I still don't condone the accelerator in WWE games, the part where you pay to manipulate in game stats. They can kiss my whole ass for that one

that's dlc. itd be a loot box if you paid and then got a random chance to get the accelerator, and you could instead get idk, an attire for john cena, and had to keep paying till you finally get the accelerator

OF course, that's why I started with my issue with loot boxes and separated that from the entire MT environment as a whole (although yes,that portion was irrelevant to this particular convo but that was mainly in response to another comment). I get that loot boxes comes down to a randomization based on various tierz of potential rewards and I don't mind them, outside of that career mode example and p2w models

Because, earning coins and gems via normal gameplay is still an option (albeit a much slower one).

That's the sticking point, though. The loot box model just turns every game into a grind, so even if you never spend a dime, they still have a negative impact on progression systems.

Personally, I've never played a game with loot boxes that actually struck a reasonable balance. Maybe they're out there, but the ones I've played have always strongly incentivized spending money, by gutting the progress you make through playing.

Archived