Guest Fight Me.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valued or not is different from being taken serious or not. I don't care if someone values an opinion or not. I just want to know why an opinion is apparently not to be taken serious or not. Because for some reason people in recent years have been more adamant about wrestling fans not being allowed to be critical unless they've been in the ring themselves. And for even more baffling reasons that goes double for wrestling journalists, especially Dave Meltzer

Valued or not is different from being taken serious or not. I don't care if someone values an opinion or not. I just want to know why an opinion is apparently not to be taken serious or not. Because for some reason people in recent years have been more adamant about wrestling fans not being allowed to be critical unless they've been in the ring themselves. And for even more baffling reasons that goes double for wrestling journalists, especially Dave Meltzer

Don't bother mate. Some people will say something nonsensically, but aren't smart enough to justify why they said it when they're called out on it.

Yes opinions should be taken seriously and valued, we are *censored*ing human after all. It's literally part of humanity.

Because it's all opinions. Nobody's opinions is inferior or superior over others.

Meltzer may be an insider and knows what he's talking about but what he thinks about matches doesn't mean anything.

He finds something 3 or 5 stars, that's fine. We all may agree or not. To each his/her own

That's actually not true about opinions but when it comes to Metzler he is kind of bias

Until Tiger Mask vs Dynamite Kid the highest he ever gave was 4 Stars. He never set a limit. The "5 Star" System established itself in the minds of some people over time. It never had a set maximum or minimum. And if he thinks one match is better than anything else he has ever seen... What is he supposed to do?

Just because it took that long for him to give a perfect 5, doesn't mean that the scale was not maxed at 5. When you're giving star ratings, there are 5 stars. That's just the way that shit works. It's common sense. What other number would the scale be topped at? You need to have a top number, or none of it means shit. 5 stars. That's how things work. Nobody ever needed him to say "my personal scale is a 5 star scale"...people have common sense and understand that things are rated out of 5 stars. It's why you have 5 star restaurants, the 5 star frog splash, etc. 5 stars is synonymous with perfection. Nobody needs to be told as much...and if the highest rating he gave before dropping a 5 was a 4, then that confirms it even more. That means he considered 4 stars to be pretty damn good. Seriously, just think about it...it's not hard to grasp why a scale needs a top number. You can't have an open-ended scale. A scale needs to go from garbage to perfection, with ratings falling everywhere between. You can't rate something as less than garbage, or better than perfection.

Yes. Yes you can.

As soon as you find something better than the best thing ever you have to somehown signal that.

Seriously. You're using your own rating system to criticize the one from someone else.

None of the other ratings that Meltzer gave were invalidated by going beyond the 4 and then the 5 Star point. Contrary to many other match ratings when Dave Meltzer gives a match 4 Stars it's still a fantastic match and anything above is usually one of the best matches he has ever seen.

The only reason why he ever went to 6 and then to 7 stars was to accurately express his feelings towards the match. He talked about it. Alot. He initially didn't know what to rate it, because he considered it the very best match he has ever reviewed, with only Misawa vs. Kawada coming close. Ergo he went beyond the 5 Star range. The Star rating is nothing official. Nothing sacred. Just his way to express his opinion on the match with a bunch of numbers. If you want his actual opinion on the match just listen to him reviewing it and you will never hear how many stars he gave the match, if that makes you sleep better at night.

There has been a trend recently to hate on Meltzer and I dont know why. So what hes bias? The dudes a wrestling FAN, we are all fans and bias one way or another.

Meltzer is fine. The problem is your problem with him, not him.

Meltzer is a dude who knows a lot about pro wrestling. He knows a lot of history. This is what he's spent his entire life researching. I definitely give him props for the insane level of knowledge he's gathered on such a broad subject over the years. He knows his shit.

You can tell that he knows his shit when you listen to him talk on a show like Talk is Jericho...because Chris will be asking him shit about matches that even he can't remember, and Dave will be like "Yeah, the year was 1987, and it was a Tuesday, the show was in Concord Mass, and Randy Savage had diarrhea." I mean...the dude undoubtedly knows things that most people have either long forgotten, or never knew to begin with.

But, yeah...his rating system is still meaningless at this point. Regardless of what Legion keeps trying to argue, that's some bullshit...a scale needs to be a definitive scale. I don't know why or how you're failing to grasp the concept of a ratings scale. He went to 6 and 7 stars because he realized that he already topped out his scaled too early and wanted to acknowledge that these new matches were better than what he previously thought was the best...so he broke his scale. Period. It's a broken scale now. It had a definitive top, and now it doesn't, so it's broken. It doesn't mean that his opinions are bad or not worth anything...it just means that you can't say "Meltzer gave it 7 stars" and have anyone take you seriously.

Yeah, their partner was originally PAC lol

Why you gotta remind me of such depressing things?

???

Who's the guy that Cody is facing?

Darby Allin

Missed a big chance to book him last year and be able to say Allin is #AllIn. :lol:

Im not familiar with Allin at all. Was he at evolve? I feel like Ive watched him on an evolve show one mania weekend.

Check out that new show 'The Wrestlers' from Viceland, if you can. He was featured pretty prominently on the first episode. I mean, you can look up his matches on youtube and stuff...but, I thought 'The Wrestlers' did the best possible job of introducing him as a performer. That's actually the first time I heard about him...just the other week. Seems a generic deathmatch guy to me. Type who says "pain reminds you that you're alive", etc. Not really my cup of tea...but, we'll see.

Im not familiar with Allin at all. Was he at evolve? I feel like Ive watched him on an evolve show one mania weekend.

Check out that new show 'The Wrestlers' from Viceland, if you can. He was featured pretty prominently on the first episode. I mean, you can look up his matches on youtube and stuff...but, I thought 'The Wrestlers' did the best possible job of introducing him as a performer. That's actually the first time I heard about him...just the other week. Seems a generic deathmatch guy to me. Type who says "pain reminds you that you're alive", etc. Not really my cup of tea...but, we'll see.

He's not a deathmatch guy actually. He's just a weird guy tbh. Almost like a Marilyn Manson type of guy adapted for wrestling. He's good but he's more known for the cool/crazy stuff he does than his technical ability. He's something different though and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with him.

• Jeb ★ locked and unpinned this topic

Archived