Is Ronda Rousey's rookie year the best of all time?

JGPLX.

Brock Lesnar definitely up there with the top rookie year wrestlers. King of the Ring, WWE title win over the Rock, victory over Big Show, Undertaker, Hardyz, etc. He did just about everything and it only continued over into the year after with the Rumble win, etc.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think have a great rookie year is just to do with how many titles a wrestler wins, nor how quickly. Someone suggested earlier that Sheamus' was better cos he won the title quicker than Rousey; I think this is pretty dumb. As I said earlier, Sheamus' rookie year as a whole was more uneventful and of a lesser quality than Ronda's (also Gail Kim lol).

Sheamus's rookie kinda screwed him anyway. People were getting over him like a year or two into his run. I don't even think he really hit his stride until maybe 2012 as far as having some really good matches, and at that point people were groaning whenever he was on screen. Dude was a good choice for the main event, but a really bad choice to be hotshotted to it.

Not really? AJ Styles has had a more impressive one if you want someone recent. AJ won the WWE Championship 9 months after debuting and had spent half of that feuding for it, with multiple matches against Vince's golden boy Roman. he also beat John Cena, the other Vince Golden boy at Summerslam, and got multiple back to back wins over him

It's hard to look at AJ as a rookie when he was in TNA for like a whole decade.

Rookie year in WWE. They could easily have just continued to keep him in the mid card or word, but the dude managed to turn it around and get the WWE title

if we wanna talk women, Gail Kim won the title waaaaaaaay faster than Ronda did lol

Who cares how fast she won the title. Her run was no way near as comparable. Come on.

yes. every big match she has had including vs Nia and vs Nikki has been good to fantastic even though there is no reason she should already be this good. also everyone knew she would win the title and pretty much nobody complained because we wanted to see it, and her reign has been great so far.

Angle's>>>>AJ's>>>>>>>>

Depends if you're saying "rookie" as in the business of Pro Wrestling as a whole, or simply WWE. To me, AJ is a thirteen year veteran and a legend - prior to his WWE appearance.

Kurt Angle and Ronda are legitimate rookies because they are transitioning to the sport itself. It would be like awarding Fernando Alonso the "Rookie of the year" in Indy Cars in 2019.

He was a WWE rookie.

It totally does, since you have to change to WWE style. Plus there legit a document out saying people were worried that noone knew who AJ was gonna be. Its a whole different world.

On the topic of Ronda is her slowly losing the fan support put a stain on her rookie year?

It totally does, since you have to change to WWE style. Plus there legit a document out saying people were worried that noone knew who AJ was gonna be. Its a whole different world.

On the topic of Ronda is her slowly losing the fan support put a stain on her rookie year?

That doesn't make him a rookie. The WWE was also wrong with worrying about AJ being an unknown. AJ Styles was one of the biggest names in wreslting at the time. Ronda was one of the biggest names of MMA at the time.

The WWE living in their self-created bubble, doesn't make them a entire different universe. Learning to wrestle for the camera =/= learning to wrestle.

I don't think so. I think the only reason why it seems like she is losing support is because the fans are so pro-Becky right now.

I don't think so. I think the only reason why it seems like she is losing support is because the fans are so pro-Becky right now.

Isn't that the same as "losing her support'? You said it yourself. Regardless of the reason, that support is still being lost. Lunchbox didn't say it was of her own doing.

But the first sign of boos came from a match against Charlotte. Her support is wavering because she is awful at promos, shes trying to be John Cena with this whole never quit attitude but she did actually quit on her last career which doesn't make her look good. Shes also awful at twitter and WWE should tell her to stop because all the women she trys to go at she eat her alive on that platform.

Not really? AJ Styles has had a more impressive one if you want someone recent. AJ won the WWE Championship 9 months after debuting and had spent half of that feuding for it, with multiple matches against Vince's golden boy Roman. he also beat John Cena, the other Vince Golden boy at Summerslam, and got multiple back to back wins over him

But he pretty much had the same matches same Feud over and over with the same guy the same outcome that really killed his momentum in a way

AJ was a rookie, WWE is the big leagues. There are people who play baseball in Japan, AAA, Mexico for year and when they get called up to the MLB they are indeed rookies. Same shit applys here.

Except Mexico regulary draws bigger crowds than the WWE and in Japan wrestling is and used to be a national phenomenon.

And there is a world outside of the United States.

There is, but AAA aint touring America or Japan. NJPW isn't touring Mexico or Britian. Impact isn't getting coverage on ESPN. WWE is, its the big leagues.

NJPW is touring Britain, Mexico and the US though. They do it through their alliances with other companies.

Seriously. Wrestling is bigger than the WWE

AJ already experienced a rookie year in a major US promotion called WCW. So I wouldn't call him a rookie but just one of the new big signings in WWE at the time he came in. You could even say his match with the Hurricane back in the day counts as more of a rookie experience with the WWE than his arrival at the Rumble.

Archived