Official WWE Hell In A Cell Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else really salivating at the idea of AJ and Joe in HIAC?

Pretty sure everyone is. Which is why we're all hoping that WWE doesn't book some stupid shit like Miz and Maryse vs Bryan and Brie in the cell. Like I said before...I think we should realistically only have two cell matches. I'd love for them to be Charlotte vs Becky and AJ vs Joe, but that's double duty for SD. So, that makes me nervous...because you know they're having at least one female match. And that puts Joe vs AJ in jeopardy of being a standard singles match, IMO.

Anyone else really salivating at the idea of AJ and Joe in HIAC?

Pretty sure everyone is. Which is why we're all hoping that WWE doesn't book some stupid shit like Miz and Maryse vs Bryan and Brie in the cell. Like I said before...I think we should realistically only have two cell matches. I'd love for them to be Charlotte vs Becky and AJ vs Joe, but that's double duty for SD. So, that makes me nervous...because you know they're having at least one female match. And that puts Joe vs AJ in jeopardy of being a standard singles match, IMO.

No way they're not having a Raw match in the cell, so yeah. I'd also Brie and her sister just stayed retired. Most overrated women in WWE history.

I'm really not a fan of the Cell being a yearly gimmick, nor multiple Cell matches on the same night, but if having three of them means we definitely get AJ/Joe in it, then so be it.

No I'm not a fan of gimmick PPV's either. I still think MITB should be part of Wrestlemania, and HIAC and Elimination Chambers kept for the rare occasions they make sense.

Gimmick PPV's are lame and my excitement for Hell in a Cell is automatically cut short every year because of the feeling that it was 'supposed to happen around this time'.

I will say though, with AJ and Joe, at least it will feel natural. I'm actually looking forward to that. But I honestly don't think any other match is justified to take place inside the cell. Maybe Hardy vs. Orton? but realistically speaking, I imagine the match won't be anything great. I love what Jeff goes through to make his performances stand out, but still.

Also, the sudden shift in the Bryan/Miz rivalry with the addition of Maryse and Brie is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the feud. All of a sudden I'm not interested in their story at all.

I get why people say that^, but surely I can't be the only one who feels like having it annually hasn't lessened it's appeal much, if at all?

50/50 i would say.

If the HIAC matches or any special matches for those match type ppvs are good, then its fine i think.

But im in the boat of people who are not too fond with PPVs that are Match Type focused.

Its a nice idea but more often then not i find it hinders the match.

It comes down to the PPV, a MITB ppv works better than a HIAC ppv imo.

I dont like the idea that something like a HIAC match is mainly on a card so that the name of the whole PPV makes sense.

It all comes down to how they execute the ppv and how the utilize the match types.

I never thought having a yearly Rumble lessened it's impact, so I never really thought having a yearly HIAC or TLC or Chamber match was problematic either. People watch WWE for that shit, in this day and age people would not watch anymore if they didn't have one or two a year.

Royal Rumble has been an annual thing since its inception, hasn't it? If so, I don't understand how anyone could even think the impact of the match would be lessened by having it yearly if it's always been that way.

And to me, having yearly Cell matches isn't too much of a problem at all to me if the story going in to said match actually warrants the stipulation - but having a legit PPV titled 'Hell in a Cell' is something I absolutely hate. Because at this time of the year, we all know that there's a Hell in a Cell match looming simply because of the PPV name alone, so when it's announced it doesn't come off as a big deal to me. Like when Strowman proclaimed he wanted to face Reigns in HIAC, I had no reaction to that because it seemed quite obvious that it was one of the few match-ups that had a high chance of being contested in that match type. In the earlier days, it seemed like Cell matches came about a bit more naturally. You may forsee a Cell match happening between two guys because of how deep-rooted and personal it gets, but you never know for sure unless one of the stars or the GM makes it happen. Whereas nowadays, you mainly forsee rivalries heading toward that direction simply because the show is coming up; and feuds are usually built-up strictly to culminate at that PPV because of its name.

The Money in the Bank PPV gets a pass for me since it's always been yearly, although I would prefer if MITB matches went back to being at WrestleMania.

When I mean gimmick PPVs like HIAC or TLC cheapen the match types, I mean look at how they were used before the shitty PPVs came about. Something like Hell in a Cell was used as the true finish to a feud. Just look at this list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_in_a_Cell

How many of the pre-PPV Cell feuds continued on after being in the Cell? Also note that pretty much all of them had been going on for months beforehand. It was something we saw pretty much anually anyway, but only much more naturally within the storylines, not because it was October. Nowadays, most feuds just have a lovely stop off point in the Cell before continuing on next Monday or Tuesday night. Looking through the list I can see dozens of matches that would not and should not have been in the Cell had it not been for it happening in the tenth month of the year. And for all of those people comparing it to the Rumble, how many long running feuds over several months have been ended in a Royal Rumble match? Not to mention the Rumble was always designed to be an annual thing unlike Hell in a Cell.

The appeal isn't COMPLETELY gone for me, but it has been drained away a bit. Hell in a Cell used to be touted as this end-all-be-all type match. When it was announced, you knew shit was going down and they feud had reached a really nasty point.

Now that we're expecting a HiaC match at a particular point every year (not to mention, several in one night), the excitement of the match happening isn't really there, and some of the feuds really just get shoe-horned in.

I don't think you can compare them to something like Money in the Bank or Royal Rumble as was mentioned above, because those aren't matches that warrant a story or signify an ending, rather they are a beginning.

Royal Rumble has been an annual thing since its inception, hasn't it? If so, I don't understand how anyone could even think the impact of the match would be lessened by having it yearly if it's always been that way.

And to me, having yearly Cell matches isn't too much of a problem at all to me if the story going in to said match actually warrants the stipulation - but having a legit PPV titled 'Hell in a Cell' is something I absolutely hate. Because at this time of the year, we all know that there's a Hell in a Cell match looming simply because of the PPV name alone, so when it's announced it doesn't come off as a big deal to me. Like when Strowman proclaimed he wanted to face Reigns in HIAC, I had no reaction to that because it seemed quite obvious that it was one of the few match-ups that had a high chance of being contested in that match type. In the earlier days, it seemed like Cell matches came about a bit more naturally. You may forsee a Cell match happening between two guys because of how deep-rooted and personal it gets, but you never know for sure unless one of the stars or the GM makes it happen. Whereas nowadays, you mainly forsee rivalries heading toward that direction simply because the show is coming up; and feuds are usually built-up strictly to culminate at that PPV because of its name.

The Money in the Bank PPV gets a pass for me since it's always been yearly, although I would prefer if MITB matches went back to being at WrestleMania.

Couldnt have said it better myself, about HIAC or MITB.

I still enjoy HIAC matches, but as has been stated, they have been devalued a bit (to me) because you know its going to happen.

I miss the generic PPVs, like Armageddon, New Years Revolution, etc. where any match could theoretically be a specialty match, so there was a bit more surprise/shock factor.

I think in the case with HIAC is all about the booking. As long as the feuds at the time warrant the cell then I am good with it being a yearly show. So far Braun/Reigns and Orton/Hardy arent bad builds for HIAC. The problem is that should be the end of a feud but its just treated as just another part of most feuds. So it isnt necessarily a problem that HIAC is its own yearly PPV but really how the writer utilize it.

Archived