WWE 2K All-Stars 2

do it. i freaking loved that game. It had sneaky amount of depth

#22 Dr. Fumbles

Dr. Fumbles

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

There's definitely improvements to be made but in my opinion the games are still FAR and above the THQ era.

This.

There was only so much I could take with The Stooges running the circus. "We took it out this year, but don't panic.. we'll add it back 4 years later and hype it as brand spanking new!!"

What they said, THQ stuff got exceedingly stale by the tail end of it.

#23 Shiftygism

Shiftygism

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

There's definitely improvements to be made but in my opinion the games are still FAR and above the THQ era.

This.

There was only so much I could take with The Stooges running the circus. "We took it out this year, but don't panic.. we'll add it back 4 years later and hype it as brand spanking new!!"

I dunno, WWE'13 and 2K14 were really good entries in the series.

And even as a whole, 2K hasn't came close to the things THQ would bring to the table each year.

The last two games have been piss-poor overall packages, even more so when you consider how bug ridden, poorly designed, and terribly written MyCareer and Universe mode are.

The creation suite, server performance, and core IN RING gameplay are top notch, but the rest?

Dog poop.

Straight up, dog poop.

#24 LEGION

LEGION

• Members
  • 40,875 posts
  • Steam ID: Ectrasyl
  • Twitter: @SennaAsad

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

What the hell did THQ bring to the table?

#25 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,702 posts
  • SEN (PS3): ask in PM
  • Twitter: ask in PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

Shit. NBA2K's MyCAREER is for the most part trash, so this does not bode well

#26 A.O.L.

A.O.L.

Legend

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

I mean what else can you really expect from a Career for an NBA game? WWE you can do a lot more with Career mode wise. Hell at least their commentary is top notch.

Some of the greatest wrestling games of all time. HCTP, SYM, SVR, SVR06, SVR 07. I get in their later years they *censored*ed up a lot. But they had gems. Im not going to completely act like THQ didnt give me fun games.

#27 eastcoastkody

eastcoastkody

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 4,703 posts
  • Gamertag: strongBADGUY
  • SEN (PS3): strongBADGUY or EastCoastKody

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

before THQ....we had pretty crappy wrestling games made by American videogame companies.

they at least had the forsight to steal some good japanese wrestling games slap an American skin on it...and repurpose them for WCW & WWF fans.

#28 LEGION

LEGION

• Members
  • 40,875 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:19 PM

I mean what else can you really expect from a Career for an NBA game? WWE you can do a lot more with Career mode wise. Hell at least their commentary is top notch.

Some of the greatest wrestling games of all time. HCTP, SYM, SVR, SVR06, SVR 07. I get in their later years they *censored*ed up a lot. But they had gems. Im not going to completely act like THQ didnt give me fun games.
Conveniently leaving out all the duds is not an argument. And considering they straight up, no mistake, lied to us AND the people they were employing... I don't really see where they earned themselves the benefit of the doubt.

#29 Shiftygism

Shiftygism

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:59 PM

A reasonably entertaining story mode every year (sometimes multiple), some better than others. Some super creative in taking things outside the norm, all better written than the drivel between matches we currently get.

Hell, the cutscenes in Smackdown 2 were more entertaining than what we're currently getting.

There was Create-a-Story and Create-a-Finisher, which 2K understandably cut as most of the things people uploaded were trash, and Create-a-Story was probably a moderation nightmare, not to mention the problem they'd have now with all of the created content that would need to come along with each downloaded, but still they haven't bothered to replace either with anything.

There's the much beloved GM Mode.

That cool decorate your crib thing they did for a few years, which they actually lifted from 2K and featured those neat little challenge matches which now get lost in the background as trophies or achievements, but could be more. 

The Undertaker Beat the Streak mode their final year was great, cheap as hell, but a really great addition to the series which could've spun off into something else.

Showcases, something 2K has unfortunately moved away from as the main anchor for the series after two installments and treated as an afterthought with their dlc inclusion in 2K17. If you can't be bothered to come up with a genuine story mode, this is essential, because My Career and Universe don't cut it...in their current form.

That's just stuff of the top of my head...but then there's things like Slobber Knocker, and Guest Referee sorely missing. Sure the moves removal phases sucked and some of the guys in charge were dingbats, but even with their off years there was still a level of excitement for each release. Now it's just "I guess I'll get it for the updated roster..."

There's no hook or draw anymore. It's now literally the same 'ol shit some feared EA would turn it into. It's frickin' Madden....and the sad thing is, Madden now actually has a somewhat compelling story mode as one of their main features. 2K can do better, hopefully they will with this news, but I'd be lying if I wasn't fearing the worst with this year's game.

Edited by Shiftygism, 27 July 2018 - 12:20 AM.

#30 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,702 posts
  • SEN (PS3): ask in PM
  • Twitter: ask in PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:25 AM

I've had more fun with a THQ WWE game than I have with 2K, so far. 

#31 Brandon-X

Brandon-X

The Most Quotable Man Alive

• Members
  • 22,567 posts
  • Gamertag: ExtremistJaitsu
  • SEN (PS3): Jaitsu
  • Steam ID: JaitsuPatrol
  • Twitter: @Jaitsu

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:40 AM

I cannot believe people are still bringing up games like HCTP as if it acts as some kind of valid argument. THQ themselves never lived up to HCTP, claiming 2K hasn't is just a silly distraction of an argument.

I enjoy the 2K games. Are they perfect? *Censored* no. But they at least started moving forward instead of the constant stagnation THQ found themselves in for almost 3 quarters of a decades worth of releases, and at least 2K, as annoying as their "don't show don't tell" approach to marketing is, didn't have an idiot claiming "YOU'RE JUST PLAYING THE GAME WRONG" when bugs were pointed out, or another idiot who ended up with the fan catch phrase of "maybe next year" or hell, a third guy (admittedly nowhere near as much an idiot as the other two) with an almost perverse obsession with overselling.

THQ had the same amount of bugs as 2K but without the forward momentum. I still remember waiting for years for a goddamn chokeslam that didn't have a ridiculous flip-over sell. I still remember their horrible excuse for not including entrance attires, or their excuse for the crotch blur (good job guys, 2K almost immediately proved that shit false), or the stupid "slots" argument that to this day is still stuck in some peoples minds despite being complete bullshit.

I still remember the lead-up to SvR 2011, where someone pointed out that the demo they were showing to Bryan Williams seemed to be missing a shit-ton of moves and he simply said (paraphrased) "Oh they just haven't been converted yet, they'll be in the full game". So what big thing is 2011 remembered for again? or right, the cumulative removal of over 400 moves, some of which we still haven't been able to get back yet. Or how about the build-up to WWE '12 with the black square bug that was clearly visible in pre-release builds, and Corey Ledesma claimed that the bug had already been fixed and would not be present in the release build. Guess what bug was still in the release build? At least 2K has never straight up lied to our faces in promotional content.

And gameplay wise, I understand a lot of people prefer the arcade style that was once head of the table, and for those people I sincerely do hope that 2K gets a second team working on a more arcade-like game (perhaps bring back All Stars since it was *censored*ing fantastic), but I've had more than enough of arcade personally, and I truly enjoy the simulation direction of the series, especially as we're moving into a new era where despite their MAAAAANY failings, WWE is taking a few directions and pointers form the indy and puroresu wrestling markets.

Now, what do I hope is obtained from this higher focus on 2K managements part? Well first off, Yukes has got to go. I truly believe they are a major part of the past stagnation and I just can't imagine its easy on VC having to constantly deal with the language barrier there. Secondly, a higher budget means more money for more talented programmers to be put into more systems, and hopefully a LOT more money for bug testing. 

Unfortunately I doubt even now think that WWE will allow the end of the yearly release schedule, that greed train just shows no sign whatsoever of slowing down.

#32 Shiftygism

Shiftygism

Midcard

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:43 AM

It absolutely kills me that 2K hasn't taken the efforts in improving the sound of the series. We all know how good the sound and commentary has been in the NBA games for nearly two decades, but here we are four games in and the crowd is annoying as hell (why not actually use real arena clips?) and the commentary still sounds way too canned. I'll admit I don't know if they have any pull at all with the WWE on dictating what Cole and company say or how they say it without them having their ego's bruised and how much the WWE's writing staff may be involved, but it just doesn't sound anywhere close to being natural. Either WWE is hindering them in those respects, or 2K's sound director overseeing the project doesn't know what he/she's doing. And after this made it into 2K17's dlc, I'll assume the latter...

#33 romanticking

romanticking

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:38 AM

A ton of match types, amazing match creator, many creation features and more importantly modes like RTWM or attitude era etc for casual fans. If we compare early years of THQ games and 2K games, THQ WWE games will put 2K WWE2K in Asuka lock.

#34 EJ!

EJ!

Official CAWs.ws Addict

• Members
  • 23,329 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:58 AM

I cannot believe people are still bringing up games like HCTP as if it acts as some kind of valid argument. THQ themselves never lived up to HCTP, claiming 2K hasn't is just a silly distraction of an argument.

I enjoy the 2K games. Are they perfect? *Censored* no. But they at least started moving forward instead of the constant stagnation THQ found themselves in for almost 3 quarters of a decades worth of releases, and at least 2K, as annoying as their "don't show don't tell" approach to marketing is, didn't have an idiot claiming "YOU'RE JUST PLAYING THE GAME WRONG" when bugs were pointed out, or another idiot who ended up with the fan catch phrase of "maybe next year" or hell, a third guy (admittedly nowhere near as much an idiot as the other two) with an almost perverse obsession with overselling.
THQ had the same amount of bugs as 2K but without the forward momentum. I still remember waiting for years for a goddamn chokeslam that didn't have a ridiculous flip-over sell. I still remember their horrible excuse for not including entrance attires, or their excuse for the crotch blur (good job guys, 2K almost immediately proved that shit false), or the stupid "slots" argument that to this day is still stuck in some peoples minds despite being complete bullshit.

I still remember the lead-up to SvR 2011, where someone pointed out that the demo they were showing to Bryan Williams seemed to be missing a shit-ton of moves and he simply said (paraphrased) "Oh they just haven't been converted yet, they'll be in the full game". So what big thing is 2011 remembered for again? or right, the cumulative removal of over 400 moves, some of which we still haven't been able to get back yet. Or how about the build-up to WWE '12 with the black square bug that was clearly visible in pre-release builds, and Corey Ledesma claimed that the bug had already been fixed and would not be present in the release build. Guess what bug was still in the release build? At least 2K has never straight up lied to our faces in promotional content.

And gameplay wise, I understand a lot of people prefer the arcade style that was once head of the table, and for those people I sincerely do hope that 2K gets a second team working on a more arcade-like game (perhaps bring back All Stars since it was *censored*ing fantastic), but I've had more than enough of arcade personally, and I truly enjoy the simulation direction of the series, especially as we're moving into a new era where despite their MAAAAANY failings, WWE is taking a few directions and pointers form the indy and puroresu wrestling markets.

Now, what do I hope is obtained from this higher focus on 2K managements part? Well first off, Yukes has got to go. I truly believe they are a major part of the past stagnation and I just can't imagine its easy on VC having to constantly deal with the language barrier there. Secondly, a higher budget means more money for more talented programmers to be put into more systems, and hopefully a LOT more money for bug testing. 

Unfortunately I doubt even now think that WWE will allow the end of the yearly release schedule, that greed train just shows no sign whatsoever of slowing down.

Spot on sir. I actually bought HCTP again recently and unfortunately it could not hold me for too long, I need my sim. Of course I 100% agree with Yukes needing to go and I understand people who have concerns for what that might mean for the series but I can bet the house that a game more bare than 2K15 would ever be released and for what its worth, I actually liked 2K15 for what it is and in many ways think that gameplay-wise, the games slowly started to go backward on the sim style after that. It felt like they spread the simulation thin rather than built on it from 2K15.

Peoples complaints with 2K are mostly cosmetic I have noticed, and thats a different conversation than I am usually ever trying to have about this game because I am always gameplay-first so I still believe a sim wrestling game is in the right hands with these guys and I really want to see Visual Concepts vision for this game without the difficulty of Yukes and their dusty old duct taped engine.
I know they are different sports, but playing NBA 2K almost my whole life, I can say that it is the pinnacle of simulation and with the increase in resources and money, I would love to see the same love and effort be put towards WWE because I am confident they can knock it out of the park.

#35 romanticking

romanticking

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:11 AM

As they knocked it out of the park for past 4 games.

We also have same opinion on the people who complain on THQ games and praise these utter garbage 2K games. Ratings talk a lot which is a better game and which won universal applause.

#36 EJ!

EJ!

Official CAWs.ws Addict

• Members
  • 23,329 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:34 AM

We also have same opinion on the people who complain on THQ games and praise these utter garbage 2K games. Ratings talk a lot which is a better game and which won universal applause.

Utter garbage in terms of what? I only care about gameplay and CAW so if youre talking about Showcase mode or myCareer or whatever else then we arent having the same discussion.

#37 romanticking

romanticking

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:48 AM

Utter garbage in terms of what? I only care about gameplay and CAW so if youre talking about Showcase mode or myCareer or whatever else then we arent having the same discussion.

Apart from gameplay and roster these games dint brought anything and removed ton of things which were in previous games and they bring them back as new and even then they bring those things slowly. Its the 6th year and 5th game since 2K took over the franchise and we havent even seen all the removed match types yet, forget about new match types. They dint bring back create a story mode or caf.

Coming to utter garbage they are best at having bugs, horrible career mode, removing things and giving the illusion to customers as they are working on other modes, in reality the game modes are becoming utter garbage every year. The only thing I enjoyed last year is RTG and as I got the game on PC, I enjoyed modding the game.

#38 OPC

OPC

WCW/nWo 4 life.

• Members
  • 12,164 posts
  • SEN (PS3): DaArtist1239 (PS4)

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

This is all most likely just hyping up the changes they'll make for the next Gen consoles around 2020-21 (so I hear), but either way I hope they don't do to much changes with stuff thats already pretty solid as is like CAW mode. 

The gameplay doesn't really need to much of change either other than the submission options and some things. I've seen matches in real life where one tries to pull the other out of the ring and a struggle war takes place, but in the game you can just pull a wrestler right out of the ring or toss them over the barricade effortlessly.

The more counter options the better. 

#39 Dr. Fumbles

Dr. Fumbles

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

This.

I dunno, WWE'13 and 2K14 were really good entries in the series.

And even as a whole, 2K hasn't came close to the things THQ would bring to the table each year.

The last two games have been piss-poor overall packages, even more so when you consider how bug ridden, poorly designed, and terribly written MyCareer and Universe mode are.

The creation suite, server performance, and core IN RING gameplay are top notch, but the rest?

Dog poop.

Straight up, dog poop.

So much wrong here, but to each their own I guess...

#40 LEGION

LEGION

• Members
  • 40,875 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

It's funny how all the positive THQ stuff is from 2006 and earlier, which mostly doesn't even hold up today. That commentary botch for example...? Have you ever listened to the SvR commentary? Or how empty every crowd sounded in the past, where you could basically hear someone play "Announcer Track Wrestler X" and mute "Everything else" on a keyboard. Or how about unplayable weightclasses? There is so much stuff in the Old THQ games that simply get a pass because it was "back then". Yet most of the issues can still be applied to the modern games of them. Remember in SvR'11 where Universe = Exhibition? You couldn't vacate titles, you needed to have the Unified Tag-team titles on someone, while the game only had two or three wrestlers with two titles entrances. Or all the flat out lies told during the PR work from SvR'07 onwards. 

There is so much stuff I remember people being furious about. On this site and on YouTube. I remember being called a THQ fanboy for defending some of the stuff. Yet here we are. "The previous games were always better." is an awful diease in the sport-games franchises, one, which is always results in criticism being taking less and less seriously. 

As GMP said. There is alot of stuff that needs fixing and alot of room for improvement, but unlike with 2k, we are actually getting that. Remember the graphic upgrade from 2k14 to 2k15? The game itself didn't even come close to looking complete, but the graphics alone were such a leap from the THQ stagnation, that the first John Cena screenshot they released was mind blowing. And since then, while not improving the general graphics of the game, they still put a big focus on presentation. The lightning makes entrances really come to life. Something the THQ games NEVER did. And who can forget the years, almost a whole decade, of having the exact same entrances for the majority of the roster?