Official SummerSlam Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know...that swanton looked really bad on the show when it happened live. But it was actually executed pretty carefully. He catches the top rope with his arm to slow his momentum, and he turns when he's falling so he hits with his shoulder/hip instead of his back. I still don't think it was a necessary risk...but Jeff has taken worse. He knew what he was doing there, and it shows. I don't think that was even top 10 for the abuse Jeff has taken in his career.

So what are everyone's thoughts on the show? I just now finished it with a friend.

Almas/Vega vs Rusev/Lana was...ok. Nothing special.

Gulak vs Alexander was really good. Didn't like the finish though, and really wanted Drew to win.

B-Team vs Revival was nice too. Revival got to show what they can do, B-Team won in a very B-Team way. I hope Revival win the belts soon though.

Skipped Seth vs Dolph. I'm sure it was good, but I'm really bored of these guys feuding.

New Day vs 2B was really good! Until the finish. Screw DQ finishes on PPV's. Especially when Rowan could have very easily just shoved Woods off the turnbuckle, no mallet needed.

Friend and I were making a bunch of jokes during Strowman vs KO so I didn't really pay attention to the match.

Charlotte/Becky/Carmella dragged like crazy. Dull match. But the Becky attack post-match was so sweet. Not because I want her to be a heel, but because the crowd didn't see it as a turn. Them refusing to turn their back on Becky and booing Charlotte was a thing of beauty.

AJ vs Joe started slow, but got so good by the end! And then...DQ. SCREW. THAT.

Was the Elias thing a botch? I'm guessing the guitar was meant to break later with a Bobby Lashley attack or something, but that was hilarious.

Bryan vs Miz was good, but not great. Looks like we'll get a rematch? I'm open to it, I think they could do a lot better than this match.

Balor vs Corbin was what it was. I wasn't excited for the match even though I like both guys, so kinda happy it was short.

Skipped Shinsuke vs Hardy since friend had to leave soon.

Rousey vs Bliss was meh. I liked Ronda's presentation, but I can't say I was to entranced with what was happening. Very interested in how Ronda does as champion though.

Roman vs Brock was a bite size version of their other matches, so it's nice they made it tolerable this time! Was so hyped when Braun came out, and then all the hype was gone when they took him out. At least Brock isn't champ anymore. Gotta be the worst champion of any kind in WWE history.

Overall...I guess the show was ok? Two of the best matches having DQ finishes really sours me on it. If they were better, I'd probably give it a 7/10. As it stands, maybe a 5.5-6? It's not the worst PPV we've had recently, but nothing that I'll be remembering fondly for years to come. Except Becky's attack, and the Elias guitar thing, maybe.

This PPV was decent but I don't think it was as good as most people think. I've seen a few people out there say this is one of the best Summerslams ever which I really don't think is true. Not even the best of the last decade (2013 I see you bruh). I think this show being seen as that good is indicative of how low the bar is for WWE shows nowadays. I don't think a show with that many squashes (four in one night!) could ever be that good, and none of the other matches were top quality either. Joe/AJ was my MOTN, but that wasn't MOTYC by any means. Speaking of that match, the DQ fit perfectly, it's just a shame that an identical DQ happened less than an hour before it.

Also, Braun looked like a straight bitch in the main event. Says he's not gonna do things the cowardly way, then announces he's gonna do the other cowardly way, and then gets battered and can't get up before he even gets the chance.

Thing is, older PPVs had a lot of low-tier filler. It was all about marquee matches in the past. This Summerslam was solid, because it was full of top talents on paper. And it's funny you mention 2013 of all years, because that had random ass matches like Cody vs Sandow, Del Rio vs Christian, that abomination known as the "ring of fire" match, etc.

Summerslam 2018 was just a solid show with matches that made sense, and outcomes that made sense (for the most part - aside from the shenanigans at the very end).

Fair enough, but solid matches with solid results doesn't bump a show up there for me. The matches themselves need to be better, which is why I hold 2013 in such high regard - it had some random filler (Ithose matches still made sense though), it also had three genuinely amazing matches, which is more important to me (Christian/ADR is actually the other one if you were wondering). Essentially, I'd prefer a card with some great and some average matches over one that is consistently decent, especially when the cards are so long now.

On another note, I watched a review online where the people noted that all the RAW matches were essentially squashes (minus the IC match), whereas it was the SD matches that were actually lengthy. Makes you wonder what it would have been like if these matches happened at brand-exclusive PPVs instead.

Thing is, older PPVs had a lot of low-tier filler. It was all about marquee matches in the past. This Summerslam was solid, because it was full of top talents on paper. And it's funny you mention 2013 of all years, because that had random ass matches like Cody vs Sandow, Del Rio vs Christian, that abomination known as the "ring of fire" match, etc.

Summerslam 2018 was just a solid show with matches that made sense, and outcomes that made sense (for the most part - aside from the shenanigans at the very end).

Cody vs Sandow definitely wasn't random. It had really good build. They had been a team until Sandow screwed Cody in the MitB match, then Cody turned face and this was his match to get revenge.

Christian vs Rio I remember being weird because RVD was the clear next challenger but then just...wasn't.

I would definitely say that 2013 and 2011 are two that I remember liking a lot more than this.

Cody vs Sandow definitely wasn't random. It had really good build. They had been a team until Sandow screwed Cody in the MitB match, then Cody turned face and this was his match to get revenge.

Christian vs Rio I remember being weird because RVD was the clear next challenger but then just...wasn't.

I would definitely say that 2013 and 2011 are two that I remember liking a lot more than this.

I meant "random" on paper, not in the context of the SummerSlam 2013 build as it happened.

I guess the best way to explain what I mean, is something like...you walk into an electronics/entertainment store, and you grab a DVD off the shelf. It's Summerlslam 2013, and you know nothing about the build for those matches. A match like Cody vs Sandow looks like random filler. Same with Christian vs Del Rio.

I'd think that's only the case for someone who didn't follow WWE around that time enough to know that Cody and Sandow were a team at one point, or even not know who they are at all.

Archived