Official SummerSlam Discussion Thread

Jmerc

I think Almas would be great for the PPV after Summerslam, or even the one after that. The dude just showed he could hang with AJ on SmackDown, use the next month or two for him to string together some strong wins against guys like Hardy or New Day to keep feeding the fire. If anything comes of the Rey Mysterio rumors, I would even say have them feud with Almas winning, and that catapulting him to a title shot.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to say that he doesn't have time to do notable things between now and SummerSlam, but by now I figured he would have at least done a bit more than he already has in order to look formidable and become familiar to the casual eye - especially for such a big show. It's already bad enough that he actually loss to Styles.

Besides, Paige herself is announcing the challenger. Would be kinda odd if she choose Almas a week after losing to AJ unless Zelina manages to do some really good convincing.

In kayfabe Paige has shown that she makes somewhat erratic choices that are 'daring' and might stir up a little controversy. Almas might have impressed Paige enough in the match against AJ so combine those with Zelina Vega business dealings, Almas would be a suitable opponent should they want to push him fast.

Fan-booking a little, they can have him beat Jeff, The Miz or Bryan or someone to give him a big rub between now and Summerslam.

It wouldn't be a smart move to put Almas in that position when he hasn't done anything notable since debuting.

Finn Balor won the Universal Champion in like his fourth match on the main roster.

Anyway, I hope Almas ends up facing Rey and Joe faces AJ. Not sure if either will happen though.

Yeah and he beat Roman on his first night on RAW. The argument could be made that he didn't do anything to deserve being in one of those Fatal 4 Ways. I'm not saying Almas getting a title shot is a great move, I just don't think it's that outlandish, especially at this point when there is no obvious contender for Summerslam.

Bálor was the first person drafted from NXT, and was made out to be a big deal from the very jump. He may not have did anything on the main roster to even earn the opportunity to compete for the Universal title, but the story is that he was highly-touted and was brought in to hopefully be one of the top faces of RAW - and proved his worth by defeating a former multiple-time World Champion on his first night. You could also argue that Seth didn't do anything to deserve that shot, and neither did Roman. They both loss the night before in a Triple Threat, lol.

In Almas' case, he was made out to be a big deal as well - maybe not as much as Bálor, but a big deal nonetheless. The problem with Almas, is that the only person that he's defeated before facing Styles was Sin Cara - a guy who really isn't credible at all...and then he loss to Styles. He hasn't really done much to make you believe he can be WWE champion at the moment aside from giving Styles a run for his money, and that's it. If Almas hadn't already fought Styles (and loss), I'd be more on board with him being next in line for the shot.

I think the biggest difference is that Bálor was fighting for a chance to become an inaugural champion.

Matches added from RAW

Universal Championship Match

Singles Match

Brock Lesnar © vs. Roman Reigns

2VXjyVm.png

Grudge Match (MiTB briefcase on the line)

Singles Match

Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens

eL2mfn5.png

Intercontinental Championship Match

Singles Match

Dolph Ziggler © vs. Seth Rollins

wgXXGqc.png

Archived