RUMOUR: WWE Offering Big Money Deals to Indie Stars?

classiq.

Yeah...Cody just needed free rein to show people what he had. The Stardust gimmick worked for him. It wasn't a bad thing at all. It was obviously not what he wanted to be (which is why he became who he is now)...but WWE knew that he could do that gimmick. They weren't "wasting" him with the Stardust gimmick, or trying to punish him...they knew he would make it entertaining (which he did). But now he can show them that he can be even more successful without that gimmick. And that's a pretty cool thing to see.

WWE being interested in Cody now, is basically an admission from them that they didn't use him to his full potential. Not purposefully, or maliciously...just that they didn't know the best use for him at the time.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...Cody just needed free rein to show people what he had. The Stardust gimmick worked for him. It wasn't a bad thing at all. It was obviously not what he wanted to be (which is why he became who he is now)...but WWE knew that he could do that gimmick. They weren't "wasting" him with the Stardust gimmick, or trying to punish him...they knew he would make it entertaining (which he did). But now he can show them that he can be even more successful without that gimmick. And that's a pretty cool thing to see.

WWE being interested in Cody now, is basically an admission from them that they didn't use him to his full potential. Not purposefully, or maliciously...just that they didn't know the best use for him at the time.

In wrestling business you want titles especially the big titles could you honestly give Stardust a basically weirder version of goldust a WWE championship reign???

Has for WWE not correctly using him is correct to a extent rhodes was good in legacy and his Dashing gimmick but that Stardust gimmick was cringey

In wrestling business you want titles especially the big titles could you honestly give Stardust a basically weirder version of goldust a WWE championship reign???

Has for WWE not correctly using him is correct to a extent rhodes was good in legacy and his Dashing gimmick but that Stardust gimmick was cringey

They knew that they had Cody Rhodes. They knew that Cody Rhodes was a somewhat generic guy, but they knew that he had potential to do...something. They gave him Stardust because they knew he would entertain in that role. Frankly, I loved the Stardust character (I still do). Cody pulled off that character brilliantly...and then he left WWE to become the character that he knew he had inside him (The American Nightmare). He succeeded in doing that...and in so, showed WWE that he was more than a midcard guy. WWE thought that Cody was going to be a midcard guy no matter what. That's why they gave him a midcard gimmick...but it wasn't done out of spite. It wasn't done to hold him back. That's just the role they thought he was meant to fill. Now they get to admit that they were wrong.

They knew that they had Cody Rhodes. They knew that Cody Rhodes was a somewhat generic guy, but they knew that he had potential to do...something. They gave him Stardust because they knew he would entertain in that role. Frankly, I loved the Stardust character (I still do). Cody pulled off that character brilliantly...and then he left WWE to become the character that he knew he had inside him (The American Nightmare). He succeeded in doing that...and in so, showed WWE that he was more than a midcard guy. WWE thought that Cody was going to be a midcard guy no matter what. That's why they gave him a midcard gimmick...but it wasn't done out of spite. It wasn't done to hold him back. That's just the role they thought he was meant to fill. Now they get to admit that they were wrong.

The biggest issue with Stardust was that for something so entertaining, they didn't make nearly as much out of it as they could and should have done. Only those of us who watched the appearance videos, and the youtube stuff really saw it. On WWE TV he was never really given the platform to get Stardust as over as he could have. I'm not saying that he was "held back" or "buried" - simply that WWE for some reason made the mistake of not pulling the trigger on it.

Prior to that, I never found Cody's characters entertaining personally - Stardust was the first for me.

Can't see this happening because they are making a boatload of money, and they have all the freedom in the world to do what they want and go take bookings where ever they want. I remember Cody making a tweet a bit ago saying he's making triple the money that he did with WWE and is working less bookings then what he was in the WWE. Same with the Bucks and Omega. Plus they are just killing it on the wrestling side of things. The Bullet Club/Golden Lovers/BTE story arc since Cody joined the BC is pretty stellar and Cody is doing easily the best work of his career.

Why would any of these guys want to ramp up their wrestling/travel schedule, lose creative control and take a hit on the money they are making/let WWE get a piece of the pie.

Why would any of these guys want to ramp up their wrestling/travel schedule, lose creative control and take a hit on the money they are making/let WWE get a piece of the pie.

Depends what the offers actually are. I've heard direct quotes about WWE having no actual baseline for signing people, and literally offering everyone different money. With WWE making more money now than ever, these offers (assuming they're legit, and not just rumors) could be pretty damn steep.

Then, consider that maybe the contracts could have exceptions for one thing or another (dates, merch, exclusivity, etc). If you put an offer in front of the Young Bucks, for example...and it's more money than they ever expected to be offered, and it says that they can still sell their merch privately...that could certainly be enough, IMO. And if they custom-tailor deals like that for all those guys, then...who knows.

I would certainly not expect these offers to be your generic "sign with us, or don't" type contracts. They're going to be something unique to the individuals, and intentionally sweetened to bait them in. WWE certainly aren't dumb enough to be like "Here's the same deal we offered Shinsuke years ago".

What people haven't considered are UK contracts. I don't mean UK contracts specifically, but a similar deal where it allows these guys to work for WWE (effectively) part-time, but still eligible to work indy dates, sell their own merch and retain certain privileges. Main roster versions of NXTUK contracts. Not saying it'll happen, because it probably wont, but it is something to ponder.

That's true. I'm guessing there would HAVE to be a clause in there allowing them to continue their merch sales on their own time, if they even wanted a chance at signing them. Not sure that they would want to do that part-time deal the UK guys have, but a lighter schedule ala Bryan or Orton would probably be something they would be interested in too.

Depends what the offers actually are. I've heard direct quotes about WWE having no actual baseline for signing people, and literally offering everyone different money. With WWE making more money now than ever, these offers (assuming they're legit, and not just rumors) could be pretty damn steep.

Then, consider that maybe the contracts could have exceptions for one thing or another (dates, merch, exclusivity, etc). If you put an offer in front of the Young Bucks, for example...and it's more money than they ever expected to be offered, and it says that they can still sell their merch privately...that could certainly be enough, IMO. And if they custom-tailor deals like that for all those guys, then...who knows.

I would certainly not expect these offers to be your generic "sign with us, or don't" type contracts. They're going to be something unique to the individuals, and intentionally sweetened to bait them in. WWE certainly aren't dumb enough to be like "Here's the same deal we offered Shinsuke years ago".

This. Look at the Women's Division. Ronda Rousey most likely has a different contract than everyone else. She doesn't do all live events, probably has some degree of creative control and some degree of any merch that is sold. Plus she likely has endorsement deals with companies that do not have endorsement deals with the WWE.

Do you also believe NXT UK is good for PROGRESS?

Read what I just said. I believe WWE probably has a set amount that they pay Progress annually...which allows them to poach talent without actually poaching it. That's my assumption. Maybe I'm wrong. But, sure...if Progress is getting money like that, then it probably is better than the money flow that they previously had...yes. And that flow of cash from WWE will (in theory) allow them to hire new talents to replace the ones that WWE takes and uses. Long term? Maybe it will bite them...but it's a good thing while it lasts. In the short term, Progress is probably looking at a steadier cash flow than ever before.

Again...I claim to know none of this as fact. That's just how I assume a partnership would work in the wrestling world. That's what makes sense to me.

WWE pays PROGRESS in 'exposure' and that's it. Sometimes they'll lend them wrestlers so they should be very grateful until WWE either buys them out or runs them out of business. Which would've already happened had PROGRESS got or tried to get a TV deal like WoS.

The Young Bucks are self-made Stars, that that make serious merch money. Unless it's Lesnar-money, they definitely won't take it.

Funny enough, I see the Bucks taking a deal before Cody or Kenny.

And I see Kenny taking a deal before Cody.

I think Cody is the least likely to return to WWE.

Cody is the most likely to go back to the WWE. I see no chance of him not returning. It's more a question of when than if, for me. And I think the Bucks and Kenny will end up there someday, too. But Cody I have no doubts.

I dont want Young Bucks in WWE personally. They should stay where theyre at.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. You don't want them in WWE fair enough, but telling them to stay where they're at is something else entirely. They're in a great place right now, but they're still within their rights to try and achieve greater heights.

I think its good for the group to come over, especially the Young Bucks now because they will be able to keep their names. They have enough appeal so WWE can market them as the Bucks and they dont have to rebuild and start over

And why is that good for them?

It would be disheartening for every wrestler trying to make it outside of WWE if these trailblazers were to sign with WWE. I agree with Kazu that Cody is probably most likely to sign on again.

Besides, WWE as a company doesn't need more talent for the time being, it is beyond stacked and has been so for quite some time!

It would be disheartening for every wrestler trying to make it outside of WWE if these trailblazers were to sign with WWE. I agree with Kazu that Cody is probably most likely to sign on again.

Besides, WWE as a company doesn't need more talent for the time being, it is beyond stacked and has been so for quite some time!

Sums pretty much how I feel.

I think its good for the group to come over, especially the Young Bucks now because they will be able to keep their names. They have enough appeal so WWE can market them as the Bucks and they dont have to rebuild and start over

And why is that good for them?

I personally feel it always helps a talent more to come in with their name then have to change it. Its their brand and it helps with more casual fans for say if they left WWE if it didnt work and they kept the same name the whole time.

I dont think WWE would be able to properly accomodate Kenny. He would need about 30min every PPV and he would need to produce the matches himself otherwise we wouldnt be getting the Kenny we wanna see. I can see WWE just getting in the way.

WWE wanting to start spending that billion dollars.

Cody will prob sign again at some point. Whilst the others might not if WWE throw enough money their way they likely would eventually. If WWE offered them 3/4 times more money than they're making now, they'd be silly to turn it down IMO.

AJ proves you can come in and be a multiple time World champion

Archived