Sounds like Roseanne got her show cancelled...

Kill off Roseanne and spin off Dan Connor as a widow!

Didn't he die in the original show? Kinda ironic that he would be the widower in the new show.

They actually made a joke about that in the first episode but if they pretty much wiped away the whole last season of the original

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't he die in the original show? Kinda ironic that he would be the widower in the new show.

They actually made a joke about that in the first episode but if they pretty much wiped away the whole last season of the original

The series finale turned out to be a story within a story that Roseanne wrote in a book. It was retconned from happening by a joke made within the first couple of minutes of the revival's first episode and it was explained a few scenes later as a story she did for her personal book.

The rest of the last season in the original series is still cannon as the first episode in the revival also mentioned the baby she had at that time as busy living somewhere else

Yeah, I don't know why you'd think that M3J. It was actually a decent show. They did a good job of making it approachable to all types of people...which is exactly the same as the original.

Roseanne herself portrayed a republican...but some of the plot points actually saw her being proven wrong about various shit. It was actually a decent tool for bringing friends and family back together in the name of comedy, IMO. But now it's gone.

From what I've read, she's portraying her character as an everyday Trump supporter to make them look like good people and not bigoted. But yeah, I'm speaking from a point of view of someone who's only heard criticisms of the show, haven't watched it myself. Even the writers have criticized it, I believe?

Wonder why they didn't do that, actually. Probably they offered, but Roseanne refused? Or since the title of the show is based on Roseanne, it probably made no sense to have a show without the titular character.

They actually never mention Trump in the show

and of course the whole show was built about Rosanna Roseanne's character honestly I don't remember episode of the old show that focus on anyone else but Roseanne's character

And honestly I'm pretty sure a Dan show would bomb

Actually as a fan of both the original and new series run, I would say the show was very progressive. Also they did an episode called "An Officer and a Gentlemen" it was all about Jackie and Dan. Roseanne only appeared in the very beginning and end.

what Roseanne said was very wrong but I think, if she takes certain steps, she can in fact redeem herself (It would take some time though) to a degree. We've seen far worse in the entertainment business that people have forgiven. I don't see why this wouldn't be one of them

@ M3J - Like I said...there was a decent dynamic on the show that poked fun at all sides of the political spectrum pretty fairly. It was a show that had something for everyone. No one forced you to like Roseanne herself. There were other characters such as Dan or Jackie on the show who outwardly expressed different political opinions from Roseanne. Being the overbearing feminist supporter you are, I'm sure you would have loved Jackie's character this time around (had you actually watched the show).

The show definitely never tried to force people to accept republican politics or think that the far right are good people. The Roseanne character was frequently wrong in her stance, and was proven wrong in a pretty unforgiving fashion. She was basically portrayed as someone who was stubborn and ignorant to a bunch of things, and needed to be reminded on a continual basis that there was more of the world outside of her bubble. And the same went for the other characters. It was a decent show.

"Overbearing feminist supporter?" Ha, stupid as usual. Guess it's a bad thing to want equality for women
Well, women already have equality, so there's really no reason to be a feminist anymore.

@ M3J - Like I said...there was a decent dynamic on the show that poked fun at all sides of the political spectrum pretty fairly. It was a show that had something for everyone. No one forced you to like Roseanne herself. There were other characters such as Dan or Jackie on the show who outwardly expressed different political opinions from Roseanne. Being the overbearing feminist supporter you are, I'm sure you would have loved Jackie's character this time around (had you actually watched the show).

The show definitely never tried to force people to accept republican politics or think that the far right are good people. The Roseanne character was frequently wrong in her stance, and was proven wrong in a pretty unforgiving fashion. She was basically portrayed as someone who was stubborn and ignorant to a bunch of things, and needed to be reminded on a continual basis that there was more of the world outside of her bubble. And the same went for the other characters. It was a decent show.

"Overbearing feminist supporter?" Ha, stupid as usual. Guess it's a bad thing to want equality for women
Well, women already have equality, so there's really no reason to be a feminist anymore.

Er, wrong.

It's good to want equality for woman as they deserve it but some feminists go a little far with their attitudes for it and some even seem to want woman rights than men such as protestesting for only wanting mother's day and no more father's day

Some sources say that's not legit, someone is just pretending to be a feminist or woman to make feminism look stupid.

Anyway, what made what Roseanne said racist? What if she's being misunderstood?

What misunderstanding could there by saying that person looks like a product of muslims and apes from planet of the apes? She said it was a joke but then her apology was shit and can't be seen as genuine.

It's not the first time she's said dumb ass things on twitter and she's been controversial since the 80's before the original show started. For years before the revival, she was mostly know for the national anthem crap she pulled at a baseball game, some failed stand up comedy shows and being very pro republican. Since promotions started for the revival, she's been on the news for Twitter comment controversies and telling talk show hosts off in front of audiences during interviews for being against Trump.

I'm not saying she's racist but this latest comment/joke was pretty racist and a big deal

I don't care about the Roseanne show or the show getting canceled, but just because she said something bad doesn't mean they had to cancel it. It's dumb.

But she's also a stand-up comedian would it be different if she set it on stage I mean there's plenty of stand-ups that says stuff on stage and nothing happen to them

Being a comedian doesn't give them free pass. Yes, some have been given the okay to go on performing to an extent but they are still labeled as controversial and have a specific fan base. Many others have had their careers go to shit for that kind of stupidity.

Roseanne was never that successful as a stand up and some people hated her appearing on film or tv shows but her own show was a hit because of help from other writers and cast of characters. She's always been known as a crazy loud mouth bitch and had controversy during her original show because of stupid she'd do or say and had lots of issues with network execs and show producers.

They brought her back for the revival because of fan demand and Sarah Gilbert pushing for it. Everything was going smoothly but then Roseanne started acting up again and this was simply seen as just too much already

What misunderstanding could there by saying that person looks like a product of muslims and apes from planet of the apes? She said it was a joke but then her apology was shit and can't be seen as genuine.

It's not the first time she's said dumb ass things on twitter and she's been controversial since the 80's before the original show started. For years before the revival, she was mostly know for the national anthem crap she pulled at a baseball game, some failed stand up comedy shows and being very pro republican. Since promotions started for the revival, she's been on the news for Twitter comment controversies and telling talk show hosts off in front of audiences during interviews for being against Trump.

I'm not saying she's racist but this latest comment/joke was pretty racist and a big deal

I didn't really understand her tweet, and it felt like a misunderstanding. Perhaps I'm trying to be too fair to her?

Are her supporters, and Trump, conveniently forgetting how she shat on their precious national anthem years ago? Trump had issues with NFL players kneeling for the anthem but forgets about that disrespectful rendition she did of the anthem?

They always conveniently forget things though, this wouldn't be anything new.

I don't care about the Roseanne show or the show getting canceled, but just because she said something bad doesn't mean they had to cancel it. It's dumb.

Problem is, her name is the title of the show, and if she kept on tweeting stuff like that, then it would affect the network pretty badly. They're already criticized for not airing an episode of Blackish focused on police brutality and for bringing back Roseanne in a way that makes Trump supporters look good. Roseanne's tweet kinda showed that Trump supporters are/can be bigoted.

100% agreed on all of this.

The number of people who never grow out of name-calling is pretty crazy.

Like...that's a behavior that you're meant to lose when you become an adult. You do it as a child, and the people around you are supposed to say "that's some bullshit"...and straighten you out.

For so many grown-ass people to think it's funny or cool to be "politically incorrect" just because that's how they think and feel...is some wild shit; An entire movement of people who just never got the memo that words have consequences. And now they throw little tantrums when people try to call them out as adults.

I mean...let's be honest, that's all that it is. The war on political correctness is just a war on being polite to other people. It's really not hard to contain yourself and not say shitty things about other people. And even comedy doesn't cover it...because there is racial comedy (ala Dave Chappelle), and then there is just outright insulting people (which is what Roseanne has done). You're supposed to be able to draw the line and understand where the difference is. If you can't, that's a problem. It's not that people are too soft, or too thin-skinned...it's simply that shit isn't funny when it's a blatant insult.

And a lot of it has to do with singling out a specific target. I think that's rule number one of comedy. Joke about a group, leave plenty of ambiguity, never double down on the innuendo if you find yourself being called out. Roseanne chose a specific person, made a joke that was way too specific and lacking any amount of ambiguity, and then she held her ground and went further down the rabbit hole by getting into shit with Chelsea Clinton about Jeff Soros or whatever the hell she even did. She came off looking like a crazy conspiracy theorist/racist. Mostly because she is.

Wasn't what she said about Soros anti-Semitic as well?

Sad thing is, Roseanne probably thinks she's innocent because freedom of speech, and her having a right to disagree and all that shit. She tweeted some shit about accepting different views few weeks ago, even, so I wouldn't be surprised if she played it off like some victim.

Wonder if she'd still think like that if someone insulted Trump supporters or white people.

She is playing the victim card. She tweeted two cast members, saying they are throwing her under the bus by saying that the words of one person shouldn't affect others instead of defending her.

She basically also implied that she made the show successful and carried it. Then she told them in another tweet "it's okay, I understand and I forgive you"

So I was trying to decide where this article belongs (Not defending Roseanne) but Disney/ABC has a bigger problems, yes the actress deserved punishment but these people deserve employment to begin with

http://celebrityinsider.org/some-question-abcs-and-disneys-willingness-to-work-with-registered-sex-offenders-and-pedophiles-after-immediately-canceling-roseanne-152501/

• 3 weeks later...

She getting killed off? I don't want the character to suddenly divorce Dan and leave the whole family or something because it just doesn't fit.

Roseanne Connor wouldn't leave her family for anything despite making jokes about them and they wouldn't leave her. The new season had Roseanne with lots of knee pains and needing surgery but even if they say that she had surgery in Chicago and needs to stay for therapy, Dan or Jackie would have gone to stay with her full time

So I say kill her off by surgery gone wrong or car accident. Maybe heart attack if they want to be ironic and make a joke about Roseanne Connor killing off Dan by heart attack in a book

Archived