Official NXT Takeover: Chicago Discussion Thread

Jmerc

It was reported weeks ago, but Keith Lee’s appearance during NXT Takeover: Chicago last night confirmed any reports about him signing with the company. A performer as unique, experienced, and talented as Lee is going to be a force to be reckoned with on NXT programming. However, it might take some time for him to receive a bigger push.

After NXT Takeover: Chicago was over last night, Triple H took part in his usual media conference call and had quite a bit to say about Keith Lee’s move to NXT. As transcribed by Rajah, here’s what The Game revealed about his plans to push Lee on NXT television:

“I think I’m gonna let him land first. I saw Keith walk through the entrance way at the arena this afternoon. He stood on the same spot on the stage while we were walking through rehearsals for probably for an hour with just a blown-away look on his face.

I think it’s gonna take a minute for Keith Lee to land on the ground. But once he does, I am expecting big things from Keith Lee. He’s a phenomenal talent, big dude that should not be able to do the things he does. He’s a phenomenal talent. I can’t wait to work with him, our team to work with him to help him take everything that he’s done so far and just take it to a whole other level.”

Obviously, HHH is talking about the transition of learning the “WWE style” of wrestling and establishing a character for the WWE Universe. There’s some work to do regarding an on-screen character, but The Game said it best. Once Keith Lee gets comfortable and settled in NXT, he’s going to do some great things for the brand over the coming months.

https://wrestlingrumors.net/triple-h-keith-lee-nxt/

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best matches of the night for this and MITB?

Gargano/Ciampa

Dream/Ricochet

UE/Oney&Burch

Seth/Elias

Women's MITB

AJ/Nakamura

Nia/Ronda

Men's MITB

I feel like I recommended too much of these shows. My bad lmao.

Last night at NXT Takeover: Chicago, Nikki Cross was defeated by Shayna Baszler and failed to win the NXT Women’s Championship. Their feud could continue into Brooklyn, but the expectation after Takeover was that cross would fall back into the midcard. The powers that be may have much bigger plans for Nikki than most people were expecting.

According to a report from Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer is wondering if the former member of SAnitY could rejoin the group on the main roster following Money in the Bank. The stable still hasn’t debuted on SmackDown Live. Cross is in an interesting situation in NXT, so it could make a lot of sense to debut them all at once on television.

Originally, Nikki Cross was left behind in NXT to help the roster. Now that she’s lost to Baszler clean, there’s not much more for her to do with the brand that will benefit her specifically. NXT officials could use her to help establish other women in the division, but that’s not a role that make the “unhinged” gimmick she’s been using since her debut.

One of the biggest problems she’s going to face is connecting with the WWE Universe. In NXT, the “unhinged” character is kind of one-dimensional and doesn’t offer a deep level of storytelling. Honestly, it just doesn’t showcase Cross’ skills or personality properly. On the main roster, it will be difficult to get the casual people to understand the character.

Nikki Cross also hasn’t been booked that strongly with NXT. It might take a big gimmick change, or just to be featured more strongly going forward. Whatever needs to be done, Cross getting over on the main roster is going to be challenging if that’s what WWE has planned for her after this weekend.

Do you believe Nikki Cross’ gimmick is holding her back?

https://wrestlingrumors.net/nikki-cross-wwe/

For the most part I think this story is a load of nonsense. Nikki and Sanity will be successful and have more depth than it may appear. You can get pretty cerebral with gimmicks like theirs.

Absolutely. They need to be strongly, as their gimmick is similar to Wyatt's in that it requires them looking strong in order to continue being believable, but I think they'll be fine.

The womens roster in NXT is fine now anyway, so I think Nikki can go ahead and move up. Kairi and Candice are both really over as faces and can easily be next in line to go for Shayna, and Dakota Kai is on her way as well, while Bianca and Lacey are really coming into their own as heels too. Plus, now that Toni Storm is on a UK deal, she'll probably pop into NXT every now and again too.

Archived