Toys R Us

Guest Shades of Cool

I really hope thins don't get to the point where the only valid source for buying certain items is online and the few stores that are still around charge too much for those items. Just a few weeks ago I ordered some parts for my RC truck from amazon and the estimated day of arrival would be somewhere between one to two weeks. I searched around town and found a great hobby store that's been around for some 40 years and they had what I ordered for 1 or 2 dollars more, so I cancelled my order and bought what I needed there. I may be paying 1 to four dollars more but at least I can actually look at it, hold it in my hands, and best of all have it that very same day without having to pay $10 for express shipping. Stores just have to offer competitive prices to compete with online retailers, and maybe downsize a little. No need to open stores the size of a soccer field when it's gonna cost you a ton to pay all those employees plus all the utility bills.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Place like Toys R' Us closing yet shit stores like Gamestop/EB Game are still a thing smh R.I.P Toys R'Us

Because their main service is focused around "used" games...which is still very much a valuable service to have a physical walk-in store for. Anyone can order brand new toys and games online...

The thing I hate about these store closing sales is they start off with like %10 and people always go for the big ticket items like video games so they get a game for maybe 5 bucks less or a Nintendo Switch at maybe 285 instead of 300. Not anything groundbreaking but 10% is nothing of interest for someone like me. I don't really care until they start offering deals in the 25% and up range but by that time most of the really good stuff is taken.

The thing I hate about these store closing sales is they start off with like %10 and people always go for the big ticket items like video games so they get a game for maybe 5 bucks less or a Nintendo Switch at maybe 285 instead of 300. Not anything groundbreaking but 10% is nothing of interest for someone like me. I don't really care until they start offering deals in the 25% and up range but by that time most of the really good stuff is taken.

I mean seriously, who should buy a game when it's ONLY 10% off?

On the subject of EB and Gamestop...I remember when that shit was called Electronics Boutique and Babbages.

I'm old.

When I joined GAME in 2002, one of my first jobs was being on the team that was rebranding the stores from EB. (UK)

As for Toys R Us, it was a big deal when I was a kid as the nearest one was a train ride away. I remember once my parents actually took me there, and they spent about £150 on me (back then that was around what would be £300) I seem to remember getting ECTO1 from there.

Sadly in my later childhood / teens, my impression of Toys R Us went downhill, I used to go there to look at Scalextrix cars and WWE figures - but often boxes would have been opened, bits strewn about the shelves - like people were rifling through them before buying. It seemed like a pretty poor standard of shopkeeping to be honest.

I'm sorry it's gone, but if those are the standards - then I'm not entirely surprised and also retail in general in terms of physical stores is dying in the Amazon age.

That kickstarter is crazy. Pure and simple.

There's no amount of nostalgic glee that should prompt any sane person to give their hard earned money to a major chain that has outright failed. Go support your local toy store instead. And before you say that you don't have one...I bet you probably do.

Toys R Us has no pull as an online identity. The entire point of that store's existence was that it was a whole store full of toys. The internet is the internet. Toys R Us was about sensory overload for little kids. Online means nothing.

Basically this, when my niece and nephews were younger I took them to Toys R Us for the first time and it's something they talk about constantly. I think we can all remember the feeling of having some money and going through those doors and seeing a store full of toys.

We may see it as an overrated, expensive place...but it's still magical to them.

Archived