Future Gameplay Ideas and Improvements Thread

EJ!

GMP I agree with all that.

I think the potential of the gameplay is what frustrates me the most because if I'm honest, I never seem to encounter as many bugs as everyone else and the ones I do encounter I can either ignore or workaround them (not to say I don't care about bugs/glitches). I do have great matches I cannot deny that, I even have a few recorded. My problem is that so many things allow the game to be repetitive and immersion-breaking so having a good match is a genuine surprise when it really shouldn't be. The fact that there is no selling of a hurt limb or body part is honestly almost inexcusable, and that's just one thing. I keep saying it but the game lacks depth. I want my skill to have control of whether or not I have a good match, and I want the AI to know how to work matches not just kick out of finishers and reverse. I want fatigue, I want selling, I want pace control and for the AI to match that pace or try smart ways to change it. I want the freedom to create my own spots and my own moments, not to be spoon-fed spots and moments (die OMG moments die).

I'm so much of a wrestling geek that every time I watch a match, especially instant classics like the Golden Lovers vs Young Bucks at Strong Style Evolved, I sit there and imagine ways that everything I just saw can be incorporated into a wrestling game, that's why I have such long gameplay improvement lists every year on just in-ring gameplay alone. I try to cover everything because I believe most things about wrestling can be and should be possible in the game. Now of course you can't capture the specific story being told in the match I mentioned, but most of the spots and especially the selling should be no-brainers in a wrestling game. If you capture wrestling well enough, the freedom to have any kind of match you want naturally follows, instead of just having finisher fests or false finish after false finish.

Honestly though, I think Yuke's is the problem for me. We give them the benefit of the doubt in saying that they don't have enough time but I just think history shows that they aren't the developers you want to make a simulation game. They're just not. We all know the Smackdown series was great for what it was, the closest thing we got to sim was SvR 2006 but it still had that wacky heart. Same with the DOR/WrestleKingdom series, those games feel almost nothing like sim and I don't think they were ever meant to be. I wish Visual Concepts was a team full of wrestling nerds from day one because I guarantee it would be on par with the NBA games as far as simulation quality by now but their stuck trying to force simulation clothes on Yuke's engine and it just doesn't fit as well as it should. If I had a time machine I would go back and do what I can to ensure either AKI or Square were developing these games today because as I've said the last ASPW game came out in 2003 (I finally get to get my hands on it soon) and 15 years later, it still has things the WWE games don't. I would even wanna see what Studio Gigante would have the game looking like by now. I know we all have shitty memories of Wrestlemania 21 but there was something about that game that always made me feel like it had potential. The point is, Yukes is just not the right team to do this job.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course as i've mentioned in the past, unfortunately Yukes has a guaranteed job since they own the current engine. If 2K fires Yukes, 2K loses access to the engine unless they pay a ridiculous amount of money to lease it (there's no way, as a business, that Yukes would sell the engine because Yukes doesn't work on any other games. If they were to sell the engine then they'd actually be writing their own bankruptcy note). Because there's simply no way to make a halfway decent engine in less than a years time, we're stuck in the unfortunate situation of a rock and a hard place.

In order to fix this situation, one of three things would need to happen.

• Yukes stops half-assing it and starts giving a damn, which they have no incentive to do.
  • 2K fires them and pays a ridiculous amount to lease the engine every year (not likely to happen because i'd bet the cost of leasing it alone would be near the regular budget for the games themselves)
  • WWE allows for a 2 or 3 year dev time, or even a 1 and a half year dev time (absolutely not going to happen)

<p>

Of course as i've mentioned in the past, unfortunately Yukes has a guaranteed job since they own the current engine. If 2K fires Yukes, 2K loses access to the engine unless they pay a ridiculous amount of money to lease it (there's no way, as a business, that Yukes would sell the engine because Yukes doesn't work on any other games. If they were to sell the engine then they'd actually be writing their own bankruptcy note). Because there's simply no way to make a halfway decent engine in less than a years time, we're stuck in the unfortunate situation of a rock and a hard place.

• Yukes stops half-assing it and starts giving a damn, which they have no incentive to do.
  • 2K fires them and pays a ridiculous amount to lease the engine every year (not likely to happen because i'd bet the cost of leasing it alone would be near the regular budget for the games themselves)
  • WWE allows for a 2 or 3 year dev time, or even a 1 and a half year dev time (absolutely not going to happen)
Bro you know how sad you just made me?

I would pray to whatever god available that Visual Concepts has been building an engine on the side for the past four years.

<p>

I would pray to whatever god available that Visual Concepts has been building an engine on the side for the past four years.

Unfortunately I would not count on it. 2K stated that the new lighting engine took 3 years of work, and even then it honestly only makes a big difference during entrances. A full game engine is 5 times that work, and would take a lot of money.

Anyone else hear that really annoying low hum-like cheer in the crowd? Yeah, get rid of that. It plays friggin constantly and its unfuriatingly annoying.

<p>

Unfortunately I would not count on it. 2K stated that the new lighting engine took 3 years of work, and even then it honestly only makes a big difference during entrances. A full game engine is 5 times that work, and would take a lot of money.

Anyone else hear that really annoying low hum-like cheer in the crowd? Yeah, get rid of that. It plays friggin constantly and its unfuriatingly annoying.

If money is the issue, GTA makes millions a day and Im sure NBA makes at least half of that so I guess its just a matter of how much Take Two is willing to allocate to make the not-as-popular wrestling game right?

<p>

If money is the issue, GTA makes millions a day and Im sure NBA makes at least half of that so I guess its just a matter of how much Take Two is willing to allocate to make the not-as-popular wrestling game right?

Well thats the thing. First, Take Two isn't going to throw more money at the series than they make per year, and I doubt the WWE games make anywhere near the amount GTA or NBA makes unfortunately. Another thing to keep in mind is that its likely, they're given a specific budget right at the start, and I doubt Take Two is pleased if that budget is exceeded.

So in essence, *Censored* corporate.

Theres like no light at the end of the tunnel here. Theres no real solution it seems like. This has been the rockiest WWE release as far critical reception in quite some time. I dont know if I have ever seen people this fed up since 2K15. I dont see WWE 2K having some kinda boost in sales anytime soon but still as you said, Yukes has little incentive to work that hard because they are likely safe no matter what. So were really just stuck crossing our fingers each year hoping for the best.

Im still gonna foolishly hold out hope that 2K had a plan and were working on something when they got the license and its just not ready yet. I need Yukes outta here pronto.

Theres like no light at the end of the tunnel here. Theres no real solution it seems like. This has been the rockiest WWE release as far critical reception in quite some time. I dont know if I have ever seen people this fed up since 2K15. I dont see WWE 2K having some kinda boost in sales anytime soon but still as you said, Yukes has little incentive to work that hard because they are likely safe no matter what. So were really just stuck crossing our fingers each year hoping for the best.

Im still gonna foolishly hold out hope that 2K had a plan and were working on something when they got the license and its just not ready yet. I need Yukes outta here pronto.

I've said it before but I really do feel bad for Timschel and the rest of the 2K team working on the series because they are quite literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunately any changes needed to fix the problem are also changes that are out of their hands.

I've said it before but I really do feel bad for Timschel and the rest of the 2K team working on the series because they are quite literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunately any changes needed to fix the problem are also changes that are out of their hands.

Agreed. I dont know Timschel but you can kinda tell how excited he is to drop tidbits of info on things he personally tried to get in the game, like the hot tags and position feeding I think were his ideas. Hot tags arent perfect but just like position feeding, they carry a crazy amount of potential. So I definitely think the series would be in great hands if he and whoever else didnt have to rely on Yukes at all.

They'd have incentive to stop half-assing if we started boycotting the game. "We refuse to buy WWE 2K until you start fixing the engine and doing this and that!" Given how much NBA makes, they could afford the loss in profit, especially if the loss of sales affects WWE significantly.

<p>

How do NBA and GTA make money? Perhaps WWE can try to mimic some of those features or ways, like the virtual currency thing or more addons. More wrestlers, Showcases, etc.

They'd have incentive to stop half-assing if we started boycotting the game. "We refuse to buy WWE 2K until you start fixing the engine and doing this and that!" Given how much NBA makes, they could afford the loss in profit, especially if the loss of sales affects WWE significantly.

You and I both know that won't happen. There is simply no way to convince the majority to boycott the series.

Never mind that in reality, what would likely happen is that WWE would get mad, pull their contract and hand it to another dev, and Yukes would go with it. The entire circle would start again, and we'd be right back in the same boat.

You and I both know that won't happen. There is simply no way to convince the majority to boycott the series.

Never mind that in reality, what would likely happen is that WWE would get mad, pull their contract and hand it to another dev, and Yukes would go with it. The entire circle would start again, and we'd be right back in the same boat.

Jesus. Its like some kinda gaming horror movie. Yes I know Im exaggerating a bit because if I step back I can admit Yukes has provided me with at least serviceable gameplay that I have a decent amount of fun with, but I just know some developer out there can do a better job and the fact that Yukes job is pretty much as safe as possible makes it all *censored*ing suck. Were really stuck with them.

@M3J: to put it simply, WWE cannot afford to try the tactics of NBA and GTA to make money. The one thing that NBA 2K and GTA have is insane popularity. Damn near every gamer plays or has played one or both games. The popularity of both games allows them to, for the most part, get away with predatory microtransactions. NBAs microtransactions this year receieved a ton of criticism but they still sold a shit ton of copies. If WWE ever tried some shit like that, I can say for sure they would not be as lucky.

Never say never. There's always a way if a lot of people are discontent. Though, the downside is that people will want to try out the game for themselves, so you may be right in the end. :\

Can they pull their contract over one failure though? Would they? I'm not saying WWE wouldn't do something like that, but if the cost is too much and if they understand why, then they'd likely stick with 2K and try to extend the time given to get the series out.

Jesus. Its like some kinda gaming horror movie. Yes I know Im exaggerating a bit because if I step back I can admit Yukes has provided me with at least serviceable gameplay that I have a decent amount of fun with, but I just know some developer out there can do a better job and the fact that Yukes job is pretty much as safe as possible makes it all *censored*ing suck. Were really stuck with them.

@M3J: to put it simply, WWE cannot afford to try the tactics of NBA and GTA to make money. The one thing that NBA 2K and GTA have is insane popularity. Damn near every gamer plays or has played one or both games. The popularity of both games allows them to, for the most part, get away with predatory microtransactions. NBAs microtransactions this year receieved a ton of criticism but they still sold a shit ton of copies. If WWE ever tried some shit like that, I can say for sure they would not be as lucky.

They need to take a gamble though, think of long-term profits instead of short-term. That's the problem with most companies nowadays, instead of willing to take a little loss for a quarter to reap great profits throughout the years, they prefer to go quarter by quarter and look like they're doing decent. I'm sure some add-ons or bonus add-ons would be worth the time and effort, especially when one wouldn't normally get it with the game.

WWE already has microtransactions like NBA, but what it needs are things that are worth dropping money on and/or creating super loyal fans like NBA. Right now, WWE has only four or five DLCs out, but what if they get more? Put in more contents in each DLC and up the price instead?

In a niche wrestling fan base thats already losing a lot of faith in the series, the last thing youd want to do as a publisher is make these angry fans pay more for something.

Just had a match where the AI was blatantly, BLATANTLY cheating. Stop giving the AI under-the-hood bullshit advantages because you can't program the damn thing to be difficult fairly.

also, STAY THE *Censored* DOWN FOR GODS SAKE. All I want is to hit one single *censored*ing spot and the *censored*ing game constantly makes the opponent get up too quickly.

I think with some careful planning, i'm sure they can tighten up the areas that really need seeing to.

They desperately need to prioritise rather than being 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

People will always disagree, but in essence, i'm sure everyone would be ok (ish) if they just left CAW mode for a year (and allowed us to import previous years' CAWs..! That'd more than make up for it), and concentrate on the things they really need to concentrate on (ie. MyCareer, Universe Mode, core gameplay, a new weapons physics system).

That way, we'd end up with a really good game, and a brilliant platform to start adding some new bits and pieces for the following year.

Youre right in that I wouldnt mind them leaving caw mode alone for a year (so long as they modify the new logo mapping so it doesnt cut off at the dumbest spots). Theyve done an excellent job on the mode and if they were to proritize it less for a year to get everything else up to snuff, I would not complain.

In a niche wrestling fan base thats already losing a lot of faith in the series, the last thing youd want to do as a publisher is make these angry fans pay more for something.

That's why you gotta have incentives for them to want to pay for.

Just had a match where the AI was blatantly, BLATANTLY cheating. Stop giving the AI under-the-hood bullshit advantages because you can't program the damn thing to be difficult fairly.

also, STAY THE *Censored* DOWN FOR GODS SAKE. All I want is to hit one single *censored*ing spot and the *censored*ing game constantly makes the opponent get up too quickly.

That's actually the same with NBA MyCAREER as well, lulz.

At least it's not as bad as Wrestlemania 21, where the opponent AI just kept reversing every move for a while.

Youre right in that I wouldnt mind them leaving caw mode alone for a year (so long as they modify the new logo mapping so it doesnt cut off at the dumbest spots). Theyve done an excellent job on the mode and if they were to proritize it less for a year to get everything else up to snuff, I would not complain.

I agree as well. CAW Mode is better than it ever has been, time to prioritize other things that need addressing, INCLUDING bug extermination!

Yeah the graphics are good where they are. They can just add a few more items to CAW and let us add materials to custom logos and I would be satisfied. Prioritize gameplay this year.

Yup. Fix the cut-off line on the alternate logo placing setup, make material types work with custom logos, add some items and call it a day. Hell, you could even get that caw importer everyone wants by doing that, and still have time to work on other aspects.

Oh yeah putting logos on tights and pants was definitely a pain this year. They should make that cut off line optional or customizable rather than us having to use multiple logos for one picture

Archived