Do you think some WWE PPVs are too long?

Undercard Jamoke

Do they hurt the product? Not inherently, there are people who could fill that time frame with a well structured and written show.

However, do WWE hurt themselves by making these big shows and then struggle to pack them with quality wrestling and story telling? Yes. RAWs and Smackdowns are often a struggle for WWE so they really shouldn't keep overestimating and overextending their own reach.

As long as theres plenty of matches to fill the time then i dont have a issue with long shows. But when they pack in like 20 video packages and promos and bullshit to waste time, that i hate.

Mizs WM video package was the most memorable part of WM that year. Not the matches. They are not the answer.

Promos and packages are an essential part of wrestling. If they are used to fill time then yeah, it's annoying, but shows with just matches are so dull. Even NJPW have short packages.

WWE promo packages are some of the best things they do tbh.

As long as theres plenty of matches to fill the time then i dont have a issue with long shows. But when they pack in like 20 video packages and promos and bullshit to waste time, that i hate.

Mizs WM video package was the most memorable part of WM that year. Not the matches. They are not the answer.

It needs to be balanced then. Royal Rumble last year was a perfect example of too much promo package stalling. There shouldnt be a half hour between matches either.

Pre-show matches should not be a thing. If you've got a 4 hour show and you can't fit all the matches, you're doing it wrong.

Nah you have it wrong. It's not that they can't fit pre-show matches on the main card, it's that they don't want them on the main card. They are essentially dark matches to warm up the crowd, those things have existed in wrestling since it came to television.

No, I don't think they're too long, but I think they focus too much on show and not enough on actual wrestling. I'm honestly waiting for Triple H to take over and refocus the show to be about wrestling.

Eww. They are already all wrestling, less show. I do not know where people are getting that idea from. I dont remember the last time a WWE event had an angle or heated in-ring segment.

And Id actually argue that the Takeovers tend to have more angles than WWE events have these days. The last 3 for example have all ended with a cliffhanger of sorts.

Not to mention that NXT has actual characters who progress. The primary difference is that the wrestling in NXT differs greatly from the style on the main roster so you tend to notice it more.

Creep's right. Having pre-show matches aren't a bad thing. They've been around for ages. I'm sure pre-show matches are just televised nowadays to allow those lower-tier stars or whatever to gain more exposure from the audience.

As far as PPVs possibly being too long, I don't think they are too long at all. The problem, is the content that's filled within those 2.5 to 4 hours. Nowadays, a lot of these 2.5+ hour PPV shows are filled with content that fails to keep the viewer's interest for the majority of the show. Therefore, it causes the show to feel a lot longer than it actually is. It drags.

Creep's right. Having pre-show matches aren't a bad thing. They've been around for ages. I'm sure pre-show matches are just televised nowadays to allow those lower-tier stars or whatever to gain more exposure from the audience.

As far as PPVs possibly being too long, I don't think they are too long at all. The problem, is the content that's filled within those 2.5 to 4 hours. Nowadays, a lot of these 2.5+ hour PPV shows are filled with content that fails to keep the viewer's interest for the majority of the show. Therefore, it causes the show to feel a lot longer than it actually is. It drags.

You'd think someone who considers them self a WCW mark, presumably a wrestling fan for a long time, would understand the basic reasoning for having matches and how wrestling shows are structured.

Some WWE PPVs like The Royal Rumble, Summerslam, and Wrestlemania can be well over 4 hours including the pre-show.

Excluding the pre-show*

Dude, that is so noticeable on single branded PPVs, it's so annoying. They're on their own network why do they feel the need to stall for time so much? I'm sure there wouldn't be an outcry against the Network if some shows ended half an hour earlier.

Plus consider pre-show matches for WrestleMania. They allow a couple more guys to get a match at Mania itself that otherwise, they just wouldn't get. Sure, it sucked for Kalisto/Ryback 2 years ago when the stadium was like 75% empty (even though I'm sure they preferred that to not having a Mania match at all), but this past year it was filled up and ready the moment Neville vs Aries started.

WWE have had this problem mainly with RAW for a while now. Although I see a lot of people moaning about "six hour PPVs". No one says you have to watch the pre and post shows lol

Thats how I have always looked at it.

I can probably count on one hand the amount of pre-show matches I have watched. Unless I am watching the main shows with friends, I can easily skip through what I want to see and what I dont. Like nobody is forcing fans to watch all the shit they put put...

And even if you do skip main card stuff, this is not Breaking Bad or Daredevil. It is not even a proper episodic wrestling show at this point. You dont miss a thing.

WWE have had this problem mainly with RAW for a while now. Although I see a lot of people moaning about "six hour PPVs". No one says you have to watch the pre and post shows lol

lol don't complain lol no one says you have to watch the shows at all lol lol

Good job I only watch Youtube highlights of stuff I'm interested in, huh?

Archived