Official NXT Takeover: Philadelphia Discussion Thread

Jmerc

Willows, I think you're missing my point. Regardless if there was "a story already there" for the KO/Zayn feud, KO's path toward Zayn's title is a lot similar to how Shayna is taking her path towards Ember's title by egging on the champion and practically forcing Ember to call her out and make the challenge herself as opposed to earning it. She was pretty much going to do everything that she could by seriously hurting and injuring people until she got the title shot.

Also, I don't necessarily think Shayna's friendship with Rousey has much to do with her current position. Partially, yeah - but not completely like a lot of people are probably thinking. Fans are looking at Shayna and Ronda's friendship as an easy way for her to get in and have favorable booking, but are evidently over-looking the fact that she's a legitimate fighter. Besides, I know this may happen a bit more often nowadays in NXT sometimes, but not every new talent coming through has to have some sort of lengthy path to a championship.

I personally thought Shayna was excellently booked throughout the MYC and helped with her character, and anyone who watched should know what she's about. She was the runner-up and took out the winner a few weeks ago; therefore, having her get a title shot one month (or less) in to her debut is something I don't really mind at all given the character that's being portrayed.

Ember Moon seems to be set on becoming a transitional champion for Shayna and Kairi to have an eventual title match down the line, which is a good move in my opinion because I personally think Ember's character is shit.

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Willows, I think you're missing my point. Regardless if there was "a story already there" for the KO/Zayn feud, KO's path toward Zayn's title is a lot similar to how Shayna is taking her path towards Ember's title by egging on the champion and practically forcing Ember to call her out and make the challenge herself as opposed to earning it. She was pretty much going to do everything that she could by seriously hurting and injuring people until she got the title shot.

Also, I don't necessarily think Shayna's friendship with Rousey has much to do with her current position. Partially, yeah - but not completely like a lot of people are probably thinking. Fans are looking at Shayna and Ronda's friendship as an easy way for her to get in and have favorable booking, but are evidently over-looking the fact that she's a legitimate fighter. Besides, I know this may happen a bit more often nowadays in NXT sometimes, but not every new talent coming through has to have some sort of lengthy path to a championship.

I personally thought Shayna was excellently booked throughout the MYC and helped with her character, and anyone who watched should know what she's about. She was the runner-up and took out the winner a few weeks ago; therefore, having her get a title shot one month (or less) in to her debut is something I don't really mind at all given the character that's being portrayed.

Ember Moon seems to be set on becoming a transitional champion for Shayna and Kairi to have an eventual title match down the line, which is a good move in my opinion because I personally think Ember's character is shit.

That's why I think it's odd that people complain about Shayna's path and not KO's.

Think people are overlooking that Shayna is actually just very talented and there is nothing wrong with her getting such a push right away. In an industry where they try and pass off fake fighting with real stakes, someone who has history of being a real fighter kinda is a no brainer for some type of push. Especially someone who can make the fake fighting look so real.

I just wish if Ember is gunna be a transitional champion that she dropped it to Iconic or Kairi. Preferably Iconic since i think they could do something different as a co champion thing. We just came off the whole dominant champion thing with Asuka and i feel we will go right back to it with Shayna. Except way less interesting.

The scary thing about the title match is, do we think WWE is actually going to let Shayna lose? Even via distraction, it still makes her look weak. I worry for Embers reign.

Are you serious? Shayna lost clean to Kairi at the finals of the MYC. WWE has 'let' Shayne lose.

But lets be real. We knew Kairi was winning from the jump. They made her signing a big deal as it was.

I don't, either.

Iconic Duo are definitely talented, but they haven't done much that would make me want to see either of them as Women's champion. You could mostly blame that on their booking, though...but, I feel most fans favor them so much because of the need of that desire to always see a guy/girl finally get a title after being in NXT for a long time.

I do not get the Iconic hype whatsoever.

Me neither. I think I get it more with Peyton because she's shown a little more skills, but I don't understand Billie's appeal. I think for the most part it's because they have been there a long time? People feel like they need some recognition because of that? I don't know.

I do feel like they have been the backbone of their division, though, especially when NXT was in a slump after Asuka left.

The scary thing about the title match is, do we think WWE is actually going to let Shayna lose? Even via distraction, it still makes her look weak. I worry for Embers reign.

Are you serious? Shayna lost clean to Kairi at the finals of the MYC. WWE has 'let' Shayne lose.

But lets be real. We knew Kairi was winning from the jump. They made her signing a big deal as it was.

Hideo got the same hype, look how that ended up. Hideo got injured and faded away. Now Kairi is is out because she's banged up, it's not a sure thing.

I don't, either.

Iconic Duo are definitely talented, but they haven't done much that would make me want to see either of them as Women's champion. You could mostly blame that on their booking, though...but, I feel most fans favor them so much because of the need of that desire to always see a guy/girl finally get a title after being in NXT for a long time.

Same. They do some funny skits and are competent in the ring but that's pretty much it for me.

The Iconic appeal, to me, comes largely from their off-show segments. The two are hilarious in all those YouTube exclusives, and likewise I think Peyton is a really good in ring talent. Billie is a lot more basic from what we've seen, but she's a good sidepiece for Peyton. Plus she has a really good look/presentation.

The story is easy there, Shayna is really good but still inexperienced. She could get too cocky and Ember takes advantage of that. Simple really.

Archived