So this velveteen dream dude

abhunter

I dont watch NXT (or wwe much anymore unfortunately due to my work schedule and traveling with wrestling) but I started watching takeover. Is this guy basically black rick rude? Weird gimmick but I loved it. And aliester black lived up to all the hype for me

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont watch NXT (or wwe much anymore unfortunately due to my work schedule and traveling with wrestling) but I started watching takeover. Is this guy basically black rick rude? Weird gimmick but I loved it. And aliester black lived up to all the hype for me

I feel the same way. I only watch a couple full WWE pay-per-views a year, plus a few random matches here and there. A while ago I happened to see one of Velveteen Dream's matches with Aleister Black and I was sold on Dream right away. I was never a big Tommy End fan, but now I think Aleister Black is pretty neat. He has improved a lot. I came across the Wargames pay-per-view the other night right as their match was starting. That's the only match I saw from the show, but I loved it.

Most NXT matches that I've seen follow the typical fast paced ROH/PWG formula, only a bit watered down. There's lots of cool moves and sequences. There's a bunch of near falls and indie wrestling cliches. Basically fan service. It's fun, but it gets old when there's so little variety on the card. They always have a stacked roster of wrestlers from all over the world but it's like they get in the ring and they all feel kind of samey. They come from all sorts of pro wrestling backgrounds, but it never feels like organic lucha/strong style/hardcore/whatever anymore. With the exception of a handful of guys, their "characters" pretty much begin and end with their entrance. They try to explain their motives and reasons for wrestling in the video packages, but I could never get into it. Velveteen Dream and to a lesser extent Aleister Black are the first guys that I've seen in a long time that feel special to me. The first time I saw Chad Gable I thought he was immensely talented, but even his matches never blew me away. At least not yet. Velveteen Dream is already so good he actually makes me want to watch NXT.

He does what other wrestlers there fail to do. It's as if the producers are making everyone except him wrestle the exact same match. Almost everyone in NXT is an amazing athlete that can perform a bunch of complicated, flashy moves safely. But the way Dream adds his own little pizazz to the simplest of moves like punches is so rare in WWE these days. He actually reminds me a lot of guys like Austin and Rock in that respect. I see a lot of wrestlers that try to prove to WWE that they can tell a story and they're not just "movez guys", so they try to shoehorn a bunch of melodrama into their matches. Sometimes it works. In wrestling, you have to be so subtle though. It's hard to convey your whole personality in a five minute fight scene while the commentators talk about something unrelated without overacting. Velveteen Dream does that. And he doesn't just recycle the same spots in every match. For once you have a guy who actually looks like he's trying to adapt to all of these styles that the commentators tell us are represented in NXT. And you don't see many heels these days that actually appear insecure or vulnerable in their matches. Dream shows a wide array of emotions by wrestling standards. On top of all that, he's big enough that he still looks good next to most heavyweights these days while still being nimble and fast enough to keep up with the smaller guys. I think he's the total package. He might be the best guy WWE has right now.

I never bothered watching that season of Tough Enough, but I remember hearing of him at the time. He seemed like one of the more popular people on the show.

Also, Dream is another guy who is super *censored*ing young, so he's bound to get so much better. Dude's only like 21-22 years old from what I remember. He's probabaly younger than me, lol.

The OP is pretty racist, imo.

I feel the same way. I only watch a couple full WWE pay-per-views a year, plus a few random matches here and there. A while ago I happened to see one of Velveteen Dream's matches with Aleister Black and I was sold on Dream right away. I was never a big Tommy End fan, but now I think Aleister Black is pretty neat. He has improved a lot. I came across the Wargames pay-per-view the other night right as their match was starting. That's the only match I saw from the show, but I loved it.

Dude, you try way too hard.

Archived