Mass shooting thread

Mango kid

I read about that shooting at the mall. Reports are that the guy they shot had a gun in his hand as he was running. Could have been that he pulled it out to defend himself and the cops thought he was the one. Quite unfortunate and the worst part is that we try to dissect these incidents after they happen and try to figure out why people did or didn't get shot when we should all be united in saying that these shootings should be prevented but we can't even do that.

Yeah he was a concealed carry permit holder if I was the cops that would be a tough call to make two to know whether he was a shooter or not you see a guy running from a mass shooting event with a gun in his hand you're automatically going to think he's the Gunner

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kinda hurts the good guy with a gun theory. this is the second time this month believe.

imagine in Vegas if a bunch of those concertgoers had guns to stop the mass shooter. each of them would shoot the first person they saw with a gun, meanwhile the real shooter was nowhere near any of them.

The "good guy with a gun" theory is a lot like "trickle-down" theory, it's all horseshit used as justification. The good guy theory works only if the good guy has a gun and the bad guy has a gun or is clearly the bad guy, and the good guy isn't trigger happy or reactive.

imagine in Vegas if a bunch of those concertgoers had guns to stop the mass shooter. each of them would shoot the first person they saw with a gun, meanwhile the real shooter was nowhere near any of them.

Ho...ly...sheeit. In my head, that scenario got real bad, real quick

The "good guy with a gun" theory is a lot like "trickle-down" theory, it's all horseshit used as justification. The good guy theory works only if the good guy has a gun and the bad guy has a gun or is clearly the bad guy, and the good guy isn't trigger happy or reactive.

The guy was active duty military. I trust him more than a handgun than Hoover police. His father was also a Birmingham police officer. I trust him with a gun more than Hoover police.

More news has come out. Allegedly he had a handgun tucked into his waistband and was directing people to exits while he was shot.

The good guy theory works at times. There was a shooting a month or two ago in Birmingham, which Hoover is a suburb of. An armed man walks into a McDonald's. He starts opening fire and someoneva concealed carry permit pulls iuo their handgun and opens fire on the gunman.

Trusting an active duty military personnel can be risky given PTSD. And isn't Birmingham known for its racist roots? I wouldn't trust them around black people.

Good guy theory rarely works and wouldn't be worth the risk. Imagine not knowing where the shooter is, most gun-happy people would be quick to shoot anyone with a gun.

The victim was active duty military home for Thanksgiving. His father is or was a cop. What's also *censored*ed up about the situation is that the family found out he was killed through social media and despite asking for authorities' confirmation, the authorities didn't say anything. The next day, an officer who was friends with his father told the family.

Birmingham itself isn't racist despite it's history. The city is over 70% African American and every mayor since the late 70s has been black. Since the 60s, white people have been moving to the suburbs, initially for segregation, and later due to the rising crime-rate in Birmingham. Suburbs like Hoover are racist. Hoover was created as an escape for affluential white Birminghamians. Those that are black that live in Hoover are usually at least upper middle class. One of the writer's from The Root resides in Hoover.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any outrage over that, that I know of, given this country's unhealthy obsession with the troops.

What about the cops though? I mean, even in places like NYC there's racial discrimination going on.

• 5 months later...

Proves,once again most mass shooting r done with legal firearms and that proved that once again American has a gun problem to look how easily you can buy multiple guns quickly there should always be a red flag if the same person is,buying gun after gun in a short time

I agree with austin. This should have set off alarm bells, and yet he was still allowed to buy more guns. Kinda be *censored*ed up to keep defending laws like this and not wanting a stricter gun control laws.

I don't know the details about where he purchased but I lived in VA for like 7 years and didn't realize how lax their laws were there

No need for permit to purchase, no need to register the firearm, no permit to open carry (on a statewide level as there individual towns/areas that have their own laws about that), no magazine restrictions (though anything over 20 is deemed an assault weapon, which otherwise you don't need proof of age to purchase). I thought after VTech they would've done something, but I guess the incidents are too far and few inbetween.

Nah, it's VA, they couldn't care less, unless I'm wrong and it's a blue state.

.....Virginia has been a blue state for the last 9-10 years at least.

A lot of DC rollover has caused that state to go blue. But I guess since they are a blue state, they do care. We all know red states "could care less", you know............because they're red.

Not entirely a blue state, apparently.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/01/politics/virginia-governor-gun-policy/index.html

Republican-controlled state legislature apparently prevents Northam and the Dems from doing anything meaningful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginias-top-democrats-to-call-for-stricter-gun-laws-after-virginia-beach-one-gop-leader-willing-to-talk/2019/06/03/9c86d06e-8618-11e9-a491-25df61c78dc4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9826e0438bc3

Thomas Norment Jr. seems to be one Virginian republican that's willing to talk though

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/01/728954507/virginia-gov-ralph-northam-shooting-tragedy-will-not-define-community

Hmm. Shame republicans aren't truly pro-life as they claim to be.

Not entirely a blue state, apparently.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/01/politics/virginia-governor-gun-policy/index.html

Republican-controlled state legislature apparently prevents Northam and the Dems from doing anything meaningful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginias-top-democrats-to-call-for-stricter-gun-laws-after-virginia-beach-one-gop-leader-willing-to-talk/2019/06/03/9c86d06e-8618-11e9-a491-25df61c78dc4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9826e0438bc3

Thomas Norment Jr. seems to be one Virginian republican that's willing to talk though

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/01/728954507/virginia-gov-ralph-northam-shooting-tragedy-will-not-define-community

Hmm. Shame republicans aren't truly pro-life as they claim to be.

Ah yes. Ol' Governor Blackface. The same governor that advocated for after birth abortions.

Proof Here:

Guess what? Responding to the CNN article regarding legislation propsed: Universal background checks (unconstitutional) would not have prevented this shooting either because the guy never had any red flag. A ban on assault weapons wouldn't have prevented this shooting either, as the shooter used a handgun. The bill that allowed the court to take weapons from people without due process (unconstitutional) would not have prevented this shooting, because the shooter (yet again) didn't have any red flags.

And yes, Virginia is a blue state because its governor is blue and they voted for Clinton. They also voted for Obama. Not every state is entirely blue or red, that idea is just ludicrous.

He was buying a lot of guns in short period of time, that would have been a red flag to anyone but gun-loving whackos. And after-birth abortion makes no sense, since fetuses out of the womb are alive and babies now. Northam said nothing wrong here, it's a discussion between mothers and their physicians who know better than shitty politicians who will do nothing about the gun problem. If they're carrying to third trimester, there's a pretty good chance that the only reason they'd advocate for abortion or not keeping the baby alive is because it won't live for long or will have a difficult life.

How are you saying "not every state is entirely red or blue" and then go on to state that VA is a blue state? And even though republicans are the majority, even if by slim margin? If it was a blue or purely blue state, then these gun control laws would have likely been passed, and the tragedy may not have happened.

The Las Vegas shooter is probably the only shooter that I can think of that has shown no red flag or suspiciousness, unlike most other shooters.

How the hell is universal background checks unconstitutional

Because it requires a gun registry.

He was buying a lot of guns in short period of time, that would have been a red flag to anyone but gun-loving whackos.

And after-birth abortion makes no sense, since fetuses out of the womb are alive and babies now. Northam said nothing wrong here, it's a discussion between mothers and their physicians who know better than shitty politicians who will do nothing about the gun problem. If they're carrying to third trimester, there's a pretty good chance that the only reason they'd advocate for abortion or not keeping the baby alive is because it won't live for long or will have a difficult life.

How are you saying "not every state is entirely red or blue" and then go on to state that VA is a blue state? And even though republicans are the majority, even if by slim margin?

If it was a blue or purely blue state, then these gun control laws would have likely been passed, and the tragedy may not have happened.

The Las Vegas shooter is probably the only shooter that I can think of that has shown no red flag or suspiciousness, unlike most other shooters.

That's not a red flag, because he passed his federal background check.

Northam literally said the baby would be made comfortable. That means the baby has already been born. And then the doctor and the mother would discuss what to do with it. That is literally after birth abortion.

Because not every voter votes red or blue in any state, but the state's representation is a majority blue or red. The reason Virginia is blue is because the governor is blue and the leaders of the legislative branch are blue. They also voted blue in the Presidential election.

These proposed laws that Northam wanted past, once again, would not have prevented this shooting.

This one. He had no red flags. He didn't even have a record before the shooting. What were they going to find that was suspicious?

What's the difference between the federal and universal background checks? Is it just the registery part?

And the term "after birth abortion" is kinda an oxymoron. An abortion is a forceful termination of a pregnancy. If the kid is already born, there is no longer a pregnancy. Who coined that term?

How is a gun registry uncostitutional? I find that it isn't, at all. But since you've made that claim, and you have mentioned numerous time that you are a constitutional law major, I'm really interested on your take on this.

First time heard about "after birth abortion"... tried googling it, but didn't come across any sensible explanation.

How is a gun registry uncostitutional? I find that it isn't, at all. But since you've made that claim, and you have mentioned numerous time that you are a constitutional law major, I'm really interested on your take on this.

First time heard about "after birth abortion"... tried googling it, but didn't come across any sensible explanation.

Because it is in direct violation of the fifth amendment. Haynes v. United States covered this.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/14767058.2013.779661

What's the difference between the federal and universal background checks? Is it just the registery part?

And the term "after birth abortion" is kinda an oxymoron. An abortion is a forceful termination of a pregnancy. If the kid is already born, there is no longer a pregnancy. Who coined that term?

Correct. Federal background checks researches your criminal history and other factors. It goes through several different agencies. The drawback is that there is a three day maximum wait time. If they are not done assessing you after three days, you are automatically cleared. This is the issue I have. I have no problem extending this to five days. I also think that the agencies involved should have better resources at their disposal.

I'm not sure the official coinage, but I already addressed that up above with one of the several articles I found regarding the subject.

I hope this helps.

Archived