Mass shooting thread

Mango kid

... Google itself says terrorism is defined as a politically motivated attack. Merriam-Webster does as well. I think most dictionaries do, for that matter.

While true, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. They just describe usages. They're not authorities that dictate definitions, so, on those grounds, Gen isn't technically wrong for using the term in that way.

Although, in my opinion, I think that his usage renders the term very loose, lessening its significance.

Merriam-Webster makes no definition of it being a t that has to do with politics or political

... Google itself says terrorism is defined as a politically motivated attack. Merriam-Webster does as well. I think most dictionaries do, for that matter.

While true, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. They just describe usages. They're not authorities that dictate definitions, so, on those grounds, Gen isn't technically wrong for using the term in that way.

Although, in my opinion, I think that his usage renders the term very loose, lessening its significance.

Merriam-Webster makes no definition of it being has to do with politics or political

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ right, the Merriam-Webster definition closer follows Gen's definition but I also agree with Purple. The term is devalued in that sense, basically saying that what Angelica Pickles was doing to the Rugrats was terrorism. The government and media have redefined the term but by no means is it definitive

^ right, the Merriam-Webster definition closer follows Gen's definition but I also agree with Purple. The term is devalued in that sense, basically saying that what Angelica Pickles was doing to the Rugrats was terrorism. The government and media have redefined the term but by no means is it definitive

that's just the English language if not all languages words get redefined all the time

10 People Dead 15 injured In a deliberate attack in Toronto Canada. Guess Canada needs to out law vans then ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/apr/24/driver-kills-nine-toronto-live-updates

The purpose of vans isn't to kill or harm lives like guns, they actually have use. And you don't see people going on mass driving-over-people sprees like they go on mass shooting sprees.

Assumption, but I believe we've had more mass shootings in US in a month than people deliberately driving over people with vehicles everywhere in a year.

10 People Dead 15 injured In a deliberate attack in Toronto Canada. Guess Canada needs to out law vans then ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/apr/24/driver-kills-nine-toronto-live-updates

Yeah they should make it illegal to drive on the sidewalk. That'll show 'em.

I recall how you got butthurt and cried when I mocked gun owners. Guess it's okay if you do it.

No butthurt. Don't give yourself too much credit there. That would be over doing it. It's one thing to be sarcastic about laws that didn't help. There isn't much difference in you doing it and me doing it. You calling gun owners maniacs out of ignorance is a little different. Seeing as you mocked the majority of our countries population by generalizing them.

Anyways, what does it matter what they are made for exactly? Vans aren't made to run people over but it happens. And despite the ratio, there has been an increase in that happening too. And if cars are killing well over twice the amount of people then why don't we put even more regulation on cars? Answer? We all already know that whatever is put in place, people are going to get into a car everyday anyway. We know regulation doesn't work. And the second they get into a car they put themselves and thousands of others in potential danger. As far as these crowd attacks go, that's your alternative to guns. People still being violent and wanting to harm alot of people at once. What's your preventive measures to those? Not just vehicles, but bombs and knives, ect?

I'm also curious to know why you think mass shootings are up in schools but overall violence and gun violence is going down? I think we can probably have a better chance at gaining some ground here if we break it down. Just blaming guns and thinking that taking a certain kind of gun away with no proof, no knowledge, and no understanding of it, is lazy and irresponsible. Why do you think it's up?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an NRA membership application in the mail (I guess maybe it's because I'm subscribed to Knives Illustrated magazine). Anyway, it's the single cringiest piece of propaganda that I've ever read. Really is unsettling that they're sending these kinds of letters out to people. It would be hilarious (if I didn't already know that people are dumb enough to buy into their shit). Would really do a good job of making the feeble-minded masses think that becoming a member is an important endeavor.

Letter says an awful lot without actually saying anything...a lot about "protecting freedoms" and "having your back"...making you feel like part of some great big movement. Specifically takes shots at the "leftist agenda". Propaganda at its finest. Even has the nerve to call shots at "billionaire special interests"...when that is literally who and what the NRA is. Shit gave me a good laugh...right up to the point where I tossed it in the recycling.

• 2 weeks later...

And typical "We DoN't NeEd GuN cOnTrOl!" bs and an attempt to deflect the blame onto something else.

I tell you what. You give me actual proof that guns are the sole problem and that gun control would help then I'll agree.

Texas is one of the most lax states on gun control, and yet they weren't able to stop the shooting. The school even had a police officer, and he got wounded as well. Two shitty arguments by gun maniacs are now proven to not work.

Not gonna mention gun control if the dad was competent enough to own a gun, but he seems to have failed keeping the guns under lock and key.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/18/17369832/santa-fe-high-texas-shooting-dan-patrick

This guy is a dumbass. Why is it so hard for republicans to support stricter gun control despite NRA? jfc we need to start doing something about guns and make sure those who legally own guns are actually keeping it safe and away from kids.

This is really getting old. At some point you just run out of things to say. I saw this playing on the news in the fitness room where I work and my exact response was "*sigh*... Again?" and the lady in there was like "yup... Again". They barely give you enough time to ease the mind of the last shooting and this even might've been one if the schools that got shooting threats after Parkland because thru majority of them nationwide game outta Texas if I'm not mistaken. Seriously I'm starting to believe there isn't actually a solution to this.

When the best comment you have is "well at least it wasn't an AR", "numb" doesn't even begin to describe it. Not even shocked by these anymore and so detached from the fear of it all it comes off more like a movie than real life. People died, again, and I don't feel a thing. It just makes me hate myself and the world I live in even more

The problem is we have allowed our cities to become over-saturated with guns to the point where it's too late to turn back, too many guns out there and the only solution some can come up with is to put even more guns out there. We don't need guns to defend ourselves from the king of England anymore, we need them to defend ourselves from each-other. Well that's my 2 cents on this, see you all in here for the next inevitable mass shooting sometime next week.

There are solutions to at least reducing the frequency of mass shooting, but the problem is the gun maniacs wanting to hold on to their guns and buy more guns instead of being concerned with people's safety. Plus, politicians being paid off to not do anything about gun control.

if you look at a Australia that they just had their worst mass shooting in like 22 years and it's not that bad compared to what's in America on a daily basis

In 2016, the last year for which data is available, 238 people were killed by guns in Australia, compared with 38,658 for the same year in the United States.

Of those deaths in Australia, 183, or more than 75 percent, were the result of suicides.

They also don't have gun obsessed weirdos, who just use the Constitution to defend owning guns. Literally, the right will call Muslims terrorists, call black people thugs and justify them being killed by cops, and even call the cops on black people doing nothing, all the while celebrating white girls bringing guns to their schools, calling white mass shooters lone wolves with mental issues, and claiming guns aren't part of the problem.

That one chick who took graduation photos at Kent State with an assault rifle is just the prime example of gun culture in the US. What a stupid bitch. And it's even wilder to consider that she was invited onto Fox news to rep her shit.

That kind of shit is not "responsible gun ownership". That's called being a goddamn clown.

Anyone who is walking around campus and sees a *censored*ing assault rifle is instantly going to say "what the *Censored* is that person doing with an assault rifle?" But then again, maybe that's how this shit starts to unfold...idiots with the "right to carry firearms" getting spooked and shooting other idiots with the "right to carry firearms". Be all like "yeah...I saw this crazy person with an assault rifle walking around campus, taking photos...so I pulled out my concealed-carry and stopped her"...

That one chick who took graduation photos at Kent State with an assault rifle is just the prime example of gun culture in the US. What a stupid bitch. And it's even wilder to consider that she was invited onto Fox news to rep her shit.

That kind of shit is not "responsible gun ownership". That's called being a goddamn clown.

Anyone who is walking around campus and sees a *censored*ing assault rifle is instantly going to say "what the *Censored* is that person doing with an assault rifle?" But then again, maybe that's how this shit starts to unfold...idiots with the "right to carry firearms" getting spooked and shooting other idiots with the "right to carry firearms". Be all like "yeah...I saw this crazy person with an assault rifle walking around campus, taking photos...so I pulled out my concealed-carry and stopped her"...

Lot of people are mad because this girl gets glorified while if a Muslim or black person did the same thing, they'd be shot or called a terrorist/thug. Two black guys get the cops called on them just for sitting in a Starbucks cafe, while white people can walk around with AR-15 in plain sight and not get the cops called. America in a nutshell.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-international.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

It's kind of embarrassing that people like her feel the need to do this shit. Pathetic even. It's like those kids in highschool (at least when I went to school) who tried so hard to show off what they were into like the kid that showed up with a Metallica jacket and blasted heavy metal music and annoyed everyone. Imagine if everyone did this shit with the things they were into, it would be so cringeworthy to see a guy lugging around his Xbox or a bunch of comic books. It's cool, you like guns, now use your brain and don't walk around like that in this day and age.

Archived