Mass shooting thread

Mango kid

M3J, never said that vetting wasn't need, but that it doesn't solve the main problem. And almost all mass shooters are mentally ill, and possibly could have been helped if our society tried to help them. They all had to have signs that something in their head started going wrong. The Parkland shooter was a good example, you know this guy is crazy so you just send him back into the world knowing he could hurt himself or more likely someone else. Gun control helps some but there are other ways a crazy person can attack people.

Which I brought up banning guns, because living in Florida they are trying to ban assault weapons even though it's a worthless messure.

And We need to change the culture of pills will help mentally ill people and everything is hunky dory.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far as I know, they were trying to track where he was getting the household supplies from, see if they could find a pattern that eventually lead to this guy. He was a person of interest, not even full blown suspect for awhile. They were just taking precautions. Then the dick offed himself and they're like "yup, that was him"

You have made two contributions to this thread and neither one has been worth a damn. What does this even mean? Who has argued against school officers? Damn near every school has at least one, thats fine. People just dont want schools to have guards left and right and for teachers to have guns. I feel like you made this meme yourself and are hoping it takes off.

M3J, never said that vetting wasn't need, but that it doesn't solve the main problem. And almost all mass shooters are mentally ill, and possibly could have been helped if our society tried to help them. They all had to have signs that something in their head started going wrong. The Parkland shooter was a good example, you know this guy is crazy so you just send him back into the world knowing he could hurt himself or more likely someone else. Gun control helps some but there are other ways a crazy person can attack people.

Which I brought up banning guns, because living in Florida they are trying to ban assault weapons even though it's a worthless messure.

And We need to change the culture of pills will help mentally ill people and everything is hunky dory.

It reduces the chances of mass shooting because mentally ill wouldn't be allowed to buy guns, and neither would people with anger issues or dodgy past. If the FBI and cops did their jobs properly, then Cruz wouldn't have been able to buy guns because his name would be in the database as having behavioral problems.

What if those other ways wouldn't have resulted in 17 people dead though? What if he was caught trying to find ways to hurt someone or buy guns illegally or couldn't get guns even illegally? Banning assault weapons make sense though because we don't need it. No one should be able to buy assault weapons legally or own assault weapons at all.

I agree, and we also need to force the politicians, especially right wing politicians, to do more than blame mental illness instead of guns and then forget mental illness once the tragedies aren't hot topics anymore. How often have we had politicians blame mental illness, say we need to do something about it, and then sweep that whole discussion under the rug after a while?

Also, links on mass shooting and mental illness:

NY Times

Time

Psychiatry Online

LA Times, which does actually say there's a correlation between mass shooting and mental illness

NPR

Psychology Today

Fox News

What I want to know is, if these mass shooters weren't white, would the right wingers still blame mental health issues, or would they call these people terrorists and whatnot?

It reduces the chances of mass shooting because mentally ill wouldn't be allowed to buy guns, and neither would people with anger issues or dodgy past. If the FBI and cops did their jobs properly, then Cruz wouldn't have been able to buy guns because his name would be in the database as having behavioral problems.

What if those other ways wouldn't have resulted in 17 people dead though? What if he was caught trying to find ways to hurt someone or buy guns illegally or couldn't get guns even illegally? Banning assault weapons make sense though because we don't need it. No one should be able to buy assault weapons legally or own assault weapons at all.

I agree, and we also need to force the politicians, especially right wing politicians, to do more than blame mental illness instead of guns and then forget mental illness once the tragedies aren't hot topics anymore. How often have we had politicians blame mental illness, say we need to do something about it, and then sweep that whole discussion under the rug after a while?

Also, links on mass shooting and mental illness:

NY Times

Time

Psychiatry Online

LA Times, which does actually say there's a correlation between mass shooting and mental illness

NPR

Psychology Today

Fox News

What I want to know is, if these mass shooters weren't white, would the right wingers still blame mental health issues, or would they call these people terrorists and whatnot?

Jesus dude

March for Lives happened today. Cool to see kids take stands and do something about the gun problem, but it's also sad that they're the ones who have to do something. I don't know why the right keep insisting guns are a God-given right, that's just bullshit.

To copy what Contrary said in the other thread:

You know I find it hilarious that that Parkland activist that they thought was a crisis actor is now complaining that clear backpacks is a violation of his first amendment rights

Could of left out the "crisis actor" crap, but these kids are being used. Not sure if some of the things coming out of their mouth is hilarious or just plain sad.

You know I find it hilarious that that Parkland activist that they thought was a crisis actor is now complaining that clear backpacks is a violation of his first amendment rights

Could of left out the "crisis actor" crap, but these kids are being used. Not sure if some of the things coming out of their mouth is hilarious or just plain sad.

Nah he was the one who they thought was I think the fame is going to,his head he now he said he wants safety precautions but when they say but when they say can only have a clear backpack he says that violates their first amendment rights he's basically picking and choosing what constitutional rights he wants

It's sad that dangerous guns being tightly regulated has to be a right vs left issue rather than a common sense issue that every should be able to agree on. I think if it was just all conservatives they would be more comfortable with agreeing on stricter gun control, but since it's the liberals mostly asking for it they feel like they must oppose it tooth and nail.

It's sad that dangerous guns being tightly regulated has to be a right vs left issue rather than a common sense issue that every should be able to agree on. I think if it was just all conservatives they would be more comfortable with agreeing on stricter gun control, but since it's the liberals mostly asking for it they feel like they must oppose it tooth and nail.

yeah. "liberals"...

Nah he was the one who they thought was I think the fame is going to,his head he now he said he wants safety precautions but when they say but when they say can only have a clear backpack he says that violates their first amendment rights he's basically picking and choosing what constitutional rights he wants
But there are much better options for safety precautions than having kids wear only clear backpacks. Like, you know, stricter gun control?

But there are much better options for safety precautions than having kids wear only clear backpacks. Like, you know, stricter gun control?

Yeah but the school has no control over the school is trying to make it safer to

Clear backpacks? Good lord. Not gonna work unless they make em wear see through pants and jackets.

A couple points on this though...

I dont think anyone, even the school is suggesting that this is the answer to school violence period. But its more of a way to help address the issue, among other answers.

When I go to a Buffalo Bills game each year, I'm not allowed to carry any bags into the stadium unless they are clear. This isn't something new.

But even if you don't like it, thats fine. But I do find irony in the fact that David Hogg wants government intervention, wants people to change their ways for the "Never Again" movement, but when it effects him personally....than its an issue and suddenly he cares about the constitutional.

Idk how I feel about the clear bags things. Think students have the right to privacy. I think a one-time sports event isn't necessarily comparable to a school setting where you're there every day for 7-8 hours with your peers. Some students might have things they're embarassed about and lord knows how insecure most kids are in high school anyway.

Idk how I feel about the clear bags things. Think students have the right to privacy. I think a one-time sports event isn't necessarily comparable to a school setting where you're there every day for 7-8 hours with your peers. Some students might have things they're embarassed about and lord knows how insecure most kids are in high school anyway.

Also a good point

Metal detectors should be set up everywhere, but I reckon the red states would prefer to spend more money on arming teachers than setting up metal detectors.

Clear bag thing would be a dumb idea though, unless they'll pat down the students as well.

Archived