Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XII

PaperThinWalls

Shut up, now you're going off topic.

It was a cool concept. I remember really wanting him to put it on the line against Cody, but it never happened.

Did they not have a ladder match with the case on the line? I remember liking that match.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general I think there should be more occasions where the briefcase has to be defended. Not often or like a championship but if the holder's getting beaten week in and week out by the same opponent(s) then they should.

I don't like that idea.

I would only prefer it in a situation or storyline where the briefcase holder is manipulated in to willingly putting the contract up for grabs against someone.

Feels like what's the point of having an entire match where you have to go through hell to get certain privileges, if someone else can just take it from you in a 1v1-match?

I also never liked it when it happens to a Royal Rumble-winner or the G1 Climax-winner. Granted, they never lose that match and with the G1-Climax, there are certain nuances which makes it different (like the winner losing a 1v1 on the road to victory and the need to prove yourself), but the concept in itself is something that always kind of bugged me. But it does give you exciting moments if you have a good match and have to deal with the excitement of someone actually having a chance at losing such a high stakes-match.

I understand why Carmella had to defend hers since Ellsworth grabbed it for her but other than that yeah. Not a fan of that happening.

Im not sure how unpopular this is, but Im so bored of submission finishes. Specifically in WWE because I dont actively watch as much of other companies. They always just sort of happen and its rarely ever built up to be a dramatic finish of a match. Anti-climatic is the word I wanna use.

Im not sure how unpopular this is, but Im so bored of submission finishes. Specifically in WWE because I dont actively watch as much of other companies. They always just sort of happen and its rarely ever built up to be a dramatic finish of a match. Anti-climatic is the word I wanna use.

I can see it. Sometimes it could be a good thing, sure. But I remember asuka vs Charlotte had that effect on me. Completely abti-climatic. I think there was another instance recently also.

But I'm not sure it's about the submission finnish itself, but has to do more with, as you said, build up. Who's performing the finisher, has it been established, and whos taking it; factorst that also come in play with the build up or story of the match.

I think only a few male performers can do that today, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that only a few have a established submission finisher, or have established themselves as performers who do that build up for their dubmission finisher.

I think the Charlotte-Asuka one was very believable as there really wasn't much Asuka could do once the figure 8 was locked on. Submission finishes are slowly losing it's appeal in general though. Heck finishes are with so many kicking out of them more often than ever before.

I'd say the Asuka/Charlotte finish was a major culprit of it and not believable at all. Charlotte didn't work over Asuka's legs at all and yet the Mrs. Undefeated taps? Charlotte sold her hurt arm, but shouldn't that have made her bridge weaker? The one criticism I've seen of that match was finish because it didn't really make much sense.

Just seems like one of those submissions that doesn't require much work prior to it being locked on. Mostly due to how powerful it looks once Charlotte rises her back side off the ground to add more pressure to an already great submission in the figure four leglock.

It was a cool concept. I remember really wanting him to put it on the line against Cody, but it never happened.

Did they not have a ladder match with the case on the line? I remember liking that match.

No sir. They had a regular match at Summerslam, and a follow up on RAW, both of which Cody won. I think Cody moved on into the Authority feud after that, while Sandow began his downward spiral.

Are you thinking of Ziggler defending it against Cena?

While were on the subject of Money in the Bank, I hate how quick most of the cash ins matches are. Its like champions forget everything about having to wrestle when being cashed in on. And before anyone retorts with how most cash ins take place after a brutal match or beatdown, we have seen it several times in the past where someone has been forced to compete multiple times in one night, like Daniel Bryan at WMXXX. Heck, match types like the Gauntlet and Tag Team Turmoil are all about competing more than once in a night. As for pre-match beatdowns, how many times have we seen someone get jumped during their entrance? It is such a common cliche that 2K even added it to the games. And again, people have won after being jumped before their match. Cash ins always being so quick just makes the champion look weak IMO.

Just seems like one of those submissions that doesn't require much work prior to it being locked on. Mostly due to how powerful it looks once Charlotte rises her back side off the ground to add more pressure to an already great submission in the figure four leglock.

That is total bullshit.

There are no submission like that, and if there were they would negate the entire concept of submissions in professional wrestling. The point of submissions in this business are to build a story by working to an end point of desperation and hard work. Take away that then it's a random spot with no connection or emotion to it. Booooooring. Just like the Charlotte/Asuka finish.

Archived