Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XII

PaperThinWalls

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never agreed with you. He was a good face when he was in TNA. I enjoyed his work back when I used to watch it. So yeah, I fully believe he is capable. I just think his SD run has been absolute shit so far and I think thats on them. Because it has also happened to Tye, Nakamura and whoever else comes up from NXT...

However, yes, I do agree that he is a natural heel.

Cuz she has tattoos.

Anyways, I feel like Bobby Roode's reign as TNA Champion was overrated just a bit by most fans. Never found it to be that special; nor his character at the time. I even feel the same way now, tbh - whether he's heel or babyface. I truly believe Roode's theme song alone has contributed to his popularity amongst the fans more than anything, hence the reason why WWE probabaly made the decision to turn him babyface to begin with.

Cuz she has tattoos.

Anyways, I feel like Bobby Roode's reign as TNA Champion was overrated just a bit by most fans. Never found it to be that special; nor his character at the time.

I think it turned bad after Lockdown, which had James Storm beat him by kicking Roode out of the Steel Cage, so that he still ended up winning the match. The ending of the title reign was more than underwhelming and the fact that the "longest world title reign" in TNA history only lasted for about 8 months, lasting the entire duration of CM Punk's title reign, also made the reign a little less memorable

I remember really enjoying that match at Lockdown, and although I wished Roode/Storm main evented BFG that year for the title, Aries winning the title at that time worked really well with the story going into the match.

Also, Destination X in 2011 is possibly the best PPV of the entire year (and that includes Money in the Bank).

Anyways, I feel like Bobby Roode's reign as TNA Champion was overrated just a bit by most fans. Never found it to be that special; nor his character at the time. I even feel the same way now, tbh - whether he's heel or babyface. I truly believe Roode's theme song alone has contributed to his popularity amongst the fans more than anything, hence the reason why WWE probabaly made the decision to turn him babyface to begin with.

You just summed up my whole opinion on Bobby Roode as a whole.

Although, to be fair, he was really good with James Storm as Beer Money.

Yes says me, who else is saying it?

It's pretty obvious that WWE aren't bothered about the exact nature of fan reaction. If they're reacting then they're making money and thats all they care about. Roman and Cena being on a different pedestal to Bobby Roode is irrelevant because it's the principal. Whether he's heel or face, people reacting to his Glorious shtick is them making money so why would you get rid of that? Doing so without having a sturdy back-up plan would be illogical business and would mean loss of money. I don't care whether you like it as a fan or not, getting rid of the one thing that makes Bobby Roode, Bobby Roode is dumb.

They're making money regardless if the person is sitting in those seats because they (or somebody else) paid for it for them to be there. Whatever their principal is on this it really should come down to the cheers or boos. if a heel is being cheered then it should be written into the story for them to turn face at some point in time when it makes sense for it, same with faces getting booed. If they can't figure something out to make that star click with audiences it's best to turn them heel when the time's right.

Not really following you. They've done this plenty of times since the 80s and should again (if they really aren't anymore). The only logical explanation I can think of is because of the lack their of competition being the reason they choose to keep certain stars at the top just because they like that star and/or the sponsors push for them to have that spot.

He really is terribly uninteresting. Besides "wears bodypaint sometimes" you can't find a significant amount of any characterization in him.

I agree, the body paint would be interesting if there was a distinct persona that Finn unleashed in times of crisis, like a Hogan's hulking up but for big matches.

The spear, the superkick and the standard DDT should be "retired" as finishes because large numbers of wrestlers are using them as high spots.

He really is terribly uninteresting. Besides "wears bodypaint sometimes" you can't find a significant amount of any characterization in him.

I agree, the body paint would be interesting if there was a distinct persona that Finn unleashed in times of crisis, like a Hogan's hulking up but for big matches.

The spear, the superkick and the standard DDT should be "retired" as finishes because large numbers of wrestlers are using them as high spots.

I disagree about the Spear, since that move really depends on the wrestler doing it.

Not many people do the standard DDT tbh, at least not on TV. Variations of it yeah, but just a standard one? You actually don't see that very often in WWE.

Alexa Bliss is currently using it a standard Jake the Snake DDT as a finish. But everyone does a variation of it. If everyone is special then no one is. No one is protecting these moves so Bliss ending a match with a DDT, and Sasha hitting a DDT as a high spot desperation move then her opponent kicking out at two kills the maneuver for me. Why is Bliss's DDT special? The answer is it isn't.

I think the spear is over-used. It is fine as a signature maneuver or a high spot but it should not be a finish.

Archived