Could anyone ever challenge WWE again?

King Tha Row

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'somewhat close'

when? That one day they had Hulk Hogan and never replicated those numbers again?

Anyways, honestly not for a foreseeable future. The only way I think it could happen is if all the major indy companys and GFW merge together, which is extremely unlikely and even that may not work.

Or NJPW starts competing in the US, maybe.

'somewhat close'

when? That one day they had Hulk Hogan and never replicated those numbers again?

Anyways, honestly not for a foreseeable future. The only way I think it could happen is if all the major indy companys and GFW merge together, which is extremely unlikely and even that may not work.

The reason I said TNA came somewhat close is because they offered a fresh new product. Everyone you grew up watching was in TNA. Between 2005-2009 was there best point. If TNA kept doing themselves instead of being WWE 2.0 I believe they would've been bigger than they are right now. Especially since some prefer an edgier product compared to PG now. Unfortunately they messed up so bad. Some people won't watch TNA because the negative connotation surrounding them.

Honestly, no. Not at this point. Other companies could become big enough to score themselves decent TV deals and big buyrates for shows, but WWE have way to big of a monopoly on the industry at this point.

Hell WWE have even created their own Indy brand with NXT to service that audience.

A promotion would have to land a big name that grabs the attention of the masses than really promote and book that talent extremely well as they bring in even more and do the same thing consistently.

They also should NOT mention the WWE at all on their programming imo and just focus on making their product the best it can be. Do this and there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to eventually climb up there with the WWE after say? 5 years.

Of course that's not as easy as it may sound because you need a bit of luck and a lot of talent on your side to pull that off.

Someone would have to redefine what wrestling is and redefine it in the eyes of the mainstream at the same time.

Over a significant period of time.

Basically create your own boom period under WWE's eyes, without WWE *censored*ing with you to stop it.

Good luck with that. I can't logically predict that's going to happen.

'somewhat close'

The reason I said TNA came somewhat close is because they offered a fresh new product. Everyone you grew up watching was in TNA. Between 2005-2009 was there best point. If TNA kept doing themselves instead of being WWE 2.0 I believe they would've been bigger than they are right now. Especially since some prefer an edgier product compared to PG now. Unfortunately they messed up so bad. Some people won't watch TNA because the negative connotation surrounding them.

TNA did good numbers because initially people could watch it and WWE. The product was arguably superior at times, but as soon as Hogan and the same usual crew came in, they made the same usual decisions and the same usual mistakes. In fact under Bischoff / Hogan, TNA actually looked exactly like the end of WCW.

The stupidest move they made was to try and go live on Monday nights - there wasn't any way they were going to win - and in fact they probably lost viewers when it was either them or WWE.

Even now, TNA is still the Jeff Jarrett show again. In fact were it not for capturing lightning in a bottle with the Broken Hardys, they probably would have gone under.

The only "challenge" I see coming to WWE is if NJPW bought ROH and began touring globally. But to be honest, WWE has the brand recognition to keep it ahead for years.

There is also the fact that watching wrestling isn't anywhere near as mainstream culture as it was in the late 90's - UFC has taken a huge bite out of the audience.

^ UFC could do that

UFC isn't competing with pro wrestling. UFC is in its' own position as leading brand of combat sports (outside boxing)

BUT UFC has taken a lot of the people who used to watch wrestling, because it delivers hard hitting fighting and action - and has the intrigue of a legitimate non-booked sport on top.

No-one decided to push Conor McGregor, he wasn't booked to go on a win streak and have catchphrases handed to him. - He did it himself.

UFC can easily challenge WWE (and beat it) by fixing fights is what I'm getting at.

If it did, it would do far more damage to it's brand than good. UFC's legitimacy makes it a cool brand. It also attracts gambling - which raises more for the sport than any hot angle in wrestling.

Let's say Lesnar gets back in the Octagon with Jones. Now no-one knows the outcome, no-one can know the outcome, it's not been written in a story. People will speculate, people will hype - and that attracts viewers, then people will put money on the outcome (which of course cannot be known)

The only way that can be determined, is by Lesnar and Jones in that cage. It might be over in 30 seconds, or it might be a full distance classic. That's something that wrestling has lost forever.

Because the outcome of a wrestling match isn't organic. It's not decided by a piece of amazing skill, or a moment of luck, or a mistake. It's written down by a booker for a purpose. And now, more than any other time (largely thanks to the "smartness" of us fans) it can be predicted. You can't bet on the outcome of a wrestling match, because someone, somewhere has the result.

You can also use past outcomes to predict a wrestling match, Cena lost on the go-home show? Well there's no way he's losing twice in a row, so he's probably winning at the Pay Per View. Hell people know for sure that Roman Reigns will be WWE or Universal Champion soon - possibly even with Cena doing the honours for him at Mania.

That's the difference.

If NJPW styled its US show similarly to WWE (with more promos, character development, etc), and if it signed someone really big, then they'd have a chance. But that someone would literally have to be either John Cena or CM Punk. Either one of them alone would probably draw an enormous audience, but I don't think anyone else would have that same effect.

If NJPW styled its US show similarly to WWE (with more promos, character development, etc), and if it signed someone really big, then they'd have a chance. But that someone would literally have to be either John Cena or CM Punk. Either one of them alone would probably draw an enormous audience, but I don't think anyone else would have that same effect.

Punk would be great for them. Daniel Bryan too whenever his contract runs out if he's still interested in attempting a in-ring come back. It would gain interest for sure.

Maybe even Batista for a brief period.

Never say never but not anytime soon, the difference between them and everyone else is just too much.

Unless it somehow decides to go The Rock and Austin route and by that I mean strong af characters that WWE obviously lacks at the moment. Because honestly, amazing matches alone aren't going to draw nearly enough.

They already have much better characters than WWE.

That's funny because they have the best character development in wrestling and the promos they have are better than 95% of the ones on WWE TV.

Archived