U.S. Politics Discussion

maskedmaniac

It's actually amusing and disappointing to see companies fire or lay off employees getting bonuses from the tax cut bill. Guess it's not as good as people thought it was. A lot of Sam's Club locations closed for the day, and some permanently, on the same day of the bill or giving their employees bonuses. This is hilarious because people who thought the tax cut and bonuses were good have now been proven wrong, and disappointing because people are either losing their jobs or wages.

And this is why the right wingers are some of the biggest cancers. They don't care about the people, their shitty logic is that businesses benefitting is good no matter what they do.

How have they been proven wrong exactly? This was something that has probably been talked about for a while. This has nothing to do with taxes. They have offered those remaining raises, bonuses, and benefits. The shittiest thing here was them not telling people sooner before letting them go. Other than that, things like this happen in the business world.

I don't always expect you to think before you say shit but Jesus you really got a hard on for yourself. And what do you know? Didn't miss an opportunity to play identity politics......again.

Interestingly, most people who lost their jobs were also the same people who got bonuses from tax cuts. Hard to believe that bs if they got laid off or fired around the same time they received the bonuses or tax cut bill going into effect. You don't understand the issue here if all you can say is "things like this happen."

I think what Bdon might be saying is that Sam's Club had planned these closings for a while. Which is why them not telling employees is shitty.

But them closing stores has nothing to do with the Tax Plans. If that was the case, than you'd be hearing about other companies closing stores too. But you don't hear that. Instead you hear about multiple companies benefiting from the tax cuts and thus giving their employees bonus or other rewards.

More than likely Sam's Club closing stores has to do with them still not being able to figure out how to compete with online shops like Amazon.

Unless I'm missing the point you're trying to make.

Did they start planning after getting wind about the tax cut plan or before?

http://www.newsweek.com/comcast-fired-500-workers-christmas-after-pledging-give-employees-1000-bonuses-771789

https://thinkprogress.org/companies-gop-tax-bonuses-layoffs-fdf07fdf90d2/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59wk9n/corporate-america-celebrated-tax-cuts-by-laying-off-workers

https://www.indystar.com/story/money/2018/01/02/t-touting-bonuses-and-investment-fueled/992690001/

Looks like horseshit, and the timing of it all is damning. but then again, the right love to defend businesses and prefer to blame everything else. Businesses moving out of country because they want to pinch pennies? The government's fault for increasing taxes! Businesses exploiting and hiring immigrants, especially for lower wages? Immigrants' fault because they somehow force businesses to hire them! Businesses can literally screw people out of money, and the right would somehow find a way to blame these people instead. Ridiculous.

Instead you hear about multiple companies benefiting from the tax cuts and thus giving their employees bonus or other rewards.

Examples, please.

AT&T, Boeing, Comcast, American Airlines, Fifth Third Bank, Walmart

I asked for examples of employees benefiting...not a list of companies.

Walmart is already shady at best, due to the Sam's Club situation.

Fifth Third Bancorp, a regional bank based in Cincinnati, said it will raise the minimum wage for all of its nearly 3,000 hourly employees to $15, and would distribute a one-time bonus of $1,000 for more than 13,500 employees by the end of the year if the bill is signed by Dec. 25.

Comcast said it would award special $1,000 bonuses to more than 100,000 eligible employees.

AT&T was the first company to go public with its plans to pass along coming tax savings to workers, saying once the tax bill is passed it would pay a special $1,000 bonus to more than 200,000 of its non-management workers.

Boeing said it would move forward with $300 million in investments as a result of the new tax law, including $100 million in employee training and education and $100 million to enhance Boeing facilities as part of its "workforce of the future" initiative.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/12/20/handful-companies-promise-bonuses-pay-raises/971199001/

Walmart to raise its starting wage to $11, give some employees bonuses

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/walmart-to-boost-starting-wage-give-employees-bonus-after-tax-bill.html

And how many of those companies will lay off or fire the same employees that got the bonus?

How many of them are going to die in a car crash tomorrow who knows until that actually happens the companies are doing good by their employees

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corporations like Walmart and Comcast being pieces of shit is commonplace. They have all the proof in the world against them when it comes to constantly doing underhanded shit. I'm just not dumb enough to believe it when they say they're doing something nice for the hell of it, and at no turnaround or profit to themselves.

It's clearly a case of playing nice so they can get away with murder later.

If this is what you choose to call a "conspiracy" while you back dumb-ass shit like "pizza-gate", or Obama's birth certificate...then I pity you, because your judgment is pretty shit.

Also, they said that the $1,000 bonus would go to 100,000 "qualifying" employees. Did you actually do any research into what that means? Because I have. 20 years. You need to have been employed at Walmart for 20 years. Any guesses who that includes? Probably not your average worker. More likely, if you've been employed by Walmart for 20+ years, then you are just a corporate goon. That bonus is certainly not going to the single mother who is working 3 jobs to stay afloat. So...again, it's all smoke and mirrors. It sounds really nice to the idiot who watches Fox news and wants something to point at and say "Trump helped make that possible"...but it means shit all. Maybe a few loyal and hardworking employees who have been working at Walmart for a quarter of their life will get a nice bonus...but most of that money is probably just going to snakes.

Another frame of reference...Walmart employs 2.1 million people. 100,000 is less than about 4.7% of the people they employ. Less than 5%...

Also, they said that the $1,000 bonus would go to 100,000 "qualifying" employees. Did you actually do any research into what that means? Because I have. 20 years. You need to have been employed at Walmart for 20 years. Any guesses who that includes? Probably not your average worker. More likely, if you've been employed by Walmart for 20+ years, then you are just a corporate goon. That bonus is certainly not going to the single mother who is working 3 jobs to stay afloat.

You are so ignorant.

Who are you to say that anyone working at Walmart for 20+ years isn't someone struggling, or someone who once struggled? That they don't deserve a bonus just as much as the next person?

My Dad works for a milk company and has been working there for 29 years. He started out as a driver, picking up milk at dairy farms and bringing it back to a plant. He only had a high school education. He grew up in poverty. From hard work he busted his ass into a management position. He isn't a corporate goon because he's been with 1 company for 20+ years. He is by no means rich or in a well-enough position that a $1,000 bonus wouldn't help his family.

But shame on Walmart for giving bonuses to employees who have been with them long term and not someone whose been with the company for only 1 year right?

4.7% of Walmart employees benefit from this shit. That's all that I need to say. And I never said that it didn't benefit any hard working people. To the contrary, I said that I'm sure there are a few longtime employees who will benefit from it. But the point is, they are not the intended recipients...they're just lucky enough to accidentally fall into the window that has been set.

Also, it's "ignorant" to make your 1 year comment.

Absolutely, the employees who are loyal should get bonuses...but could they not have narrowed that margin a bit? You don't think it's suspicious that it's as high as 20 years? They could have done 5 years or even 10 years, and given more employees a few hundred dollars instead of a thousand. The numbers were clearly not chosen by accident. The goal was to give as much money to the absolute longest employees as possible. A few hundred dollars to a family that REALLY needs it would have been a more worthwhile use of money than $1,000 to people who have been there for 20 years. I don't see any argument that can be made against that. 5 years is a long time to be loyal to a company like Walmart...10 years even more so. But those people get nothing. Why? Because the 20 year window includes more of the corporate types. I'd love to see some statistics that say otherwise, but that's common sense shit.

And don't show me one example of a beaming Walmart employee holding their $1,000 bonus, and pretend like that works against me. Because, again...I'm sure that there will be good, hardworking people who get a bonus from this. But, again...it will be in spite of the directive...not because of it.

Lol...not even worth my *censored*ing time.

4.7% of Walmart employees benefit from this shit. That's all that I need to say. And I never said that it didn't benefit any hard working people. To the contrary, I said that I'm sure there are a few longtime employees who will benefit from it. But the point is, they are not the intended recipients...they're just lucky enough to accidentally fall into the window that has been set.

Also, it's "ignorant" to make your 1 year comment. Absolutely, the employees who are loyal should get bonuses...but could they not have narrowed that margin a bit? You don't think it's suspicious that it's as high as 20 years? They could have done 5 years or even 10 years, and given more employees a few hundred dollars. The numbers were clearly not chosen by accident. The goal was to give as much money to the absolute longest employees as possible. A few hundred dollars to a family that REALLY needs it would have been a more worthwhile use of money than $1,000 to people who have been there for 20 years. I don't see any argument that can be made against that. 5 years is a long time to be loyal to a company like Walmart...10 years even more so. But those people get nothing. Why? Because the 20 year window includes more of the corporate types. I'd love to see some statistics that say otherwise, but that's common sense shit.

Got it. So no matter what, Walmart can't do anything right. They either choose the wrong type of employees or not enough employees. There has to be an evil motive behind what they were doing.

Than again, according to you, most people who stay at a company for 20+ years are either a corporate goon or a snake right. That's just "common sense".

You're clearly missing the point.

And I literally said exactly what Walmart should have done...(given smaller bonuses to more people). So, don't pull that "Walmart can do no right" bullshit on me. 5 or 10 year employees are obviously loyal and hard working. You're just choosing to be snarky and condescending, and put words in my mouth. I never said that all 20 year employees were corporate snakes...I said that the bonuses were designed in a way that they included as many of those types as possible...because, yes...it is more likely that corporate types have had nice cushy jobs for 20+ years.

You really have a vendetta against common sense...

You're clearly missing the point.

And I literally said exactly what Walmart should have done...(given smaller bonuses to more people). So, don't pull that "Walmart can do no right" bullshit on me. 5 or 10 year employees are obviously loyal and hard working. You're just choosing to be snarky and condescending, and put words in my mouth. I never said that all 20 year employees were corporate snakes...I said that the bonuses were designed in a way that they included as many of those types as possible...because, yes...it is more likely that corporate types have had nice cushy jobs for 20+ years.

You really have a vendetta against common sense...

"most of that money is probably just going to snakes."

"if you've been employed by Walmart for 20+ years, then you are just a corporate goon."

These are your exact quotes. I haven't put a single word in your mouth. Would it be nice if more people got bonuses? Sure. But why can't we be glad for the people who are? With your above comments you make it seem like those who are receiving bonuses don't deserve them. Or that they are bad people who just work "nice cushy jobs".

Now if you want to say you had a case of the "M3J's" and couldn't articulate your point clearly, fine. But those people deserve every cent they receive and anyone thinking otherwise would be ignorant.

"if you've been employed by Walmart for 20+ years, then you are just a corporate goon."

I love how you cut off the part where I said "more than likely"...and just tried to spin it like I outright said something I didn't say. Again...if you don't want to actually have a discussion, and would rather put words into my mouth, that's your prerogative...

Corporations like Walmart and Comcast being pieces of shit is commonplace. They have all the proof in the world against them when it comes to constantly doing underhanded shit. I'm just not dumb enough to believe it when they say they're doing something nice for the hell of it, and at no turnaround or profit to themselves.

It's clearly a case of playing nice so they can get away with murder later.

If this is what you choose to call a "conspiracy" while you back dumb-ass shit like "pizza-gate", or Obama's birth certificate...then I pity you, because your judgment is pretty shit.

Also, they said that the $1,000 bonus would go to 100,000 "qualifying" employees. Did you actually do any research into what that means? Because I have. 20 years. You need to have been employed at Walmart for 20 years. Any guesses who that includes? Probably not your average worker. More likely, if you've been employed by Walmart for 20+ years, then you are just a corporate goon. That bonus is certainly not going to the single mother who is working 3 jobs to stay afloat. So...again, it's all smoke and mirrors. It sounds really nice to the idiot who watches Fox news and wants something to point at and say "Trump helped make that possible"...but it means shit all. Maybe a few loyal and hardworking employees who have been working at Walmart for a quarter of their life will get a nice bonus...but most of that money is probably just going to snakes.

Another frame of reference...Walmart employs 2.1 million people. 100,000 is less than about 4.7% of the people they employ. Less than 5%...

Problem is, the right wingers/capitalist lovers love to make corporations look good and blame everyone else. The logic here is ridiculous, especially claiming capitalism is great when it's hurt so many people and only benefit the corrupt and bad people.

I love how you cut off the part where I said "more than likely"...and just tried to spin it like I outright said something I didn't say. Again...if you don't want to actually have a discussion, and would rather put words into my mouth, that's your prerogative...

O because adding "more than likely" changes the sentence?

So what does that mean than Gen? 6 out of 10? 8 out of 10? What percentage of people who work for 20+ years at the same job are goons? If its "more than likely"' it must be greater than 50%. I wouldn't want to be accused of spinning anything. So please clarify for me.

And apparently I got the first quote right though. So if they aren't corporate goons, they are probably just snakes. Gotcha.

O because adding "more than likely" changes the sentence?

So what does that mean than Gen? 6 out of 10? 8 out of 10? What percentage of people who work for 20+ years at the same job are goons? If its "more than likely"' it must be greater than 50%. I wouldn't want to be accused of spinning anything. So please clarify for me.

100%, yes...it does. How does it not change the sentence?

You're acting like I said that the bonus distribution doesn't go to any proper employees at all...and I never said that. Honestly, you're just ranting bullshit at this point. Surely, you have to understand what I'm saying...but, you're just ranting.

What percentage is it of the 20+ year employees? I don't know that information...which is why I only said that it was "more than likely", but never gave any specific numbers. Greater than 50%? I'm sure it is. Absolutely. If you can find the numbers, then more power to you...but I've said nothing more than what I've said. Don't get angry at me just because you don't know the numbers yourself...

I'm content with saying that it's more than likely. If you don't like the idea that it's more than likely...then go do some research, and let me know what you find. By all means.

And you're still ignoring the concept that distributing smaller bonuses among more people would be a better use of the money. Why is it only 20 years? Do you not agree that 5 or 10, or even 15 years is a long time to be loyal to a job? Could that money not be spread a bit further? I don't know how far it could stretch...but surely it could stretch a bit further. $1,000 is not a lot of money to begin with...so it's not exactly the difference between making someone well-off or not...it's just a show of respect to employees. It could go further. It could go to more people who need it. But now you're going to circle back to your "they can do nothing right" rhetoric...which again, is just missing the point entirely.

Gen, you do know that people starting at 2 years and up are getting bonuses too.

Okay, then I stand corrected. I'm glad to hear that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, a large part of my argument remains...which is the part about it only being a one-time thing (when these large corporations only stand to save more and more as time goes on, whilst the middle class will begin to pay more and more). I don't put the blame for that on companies like Walmart...but I definitely still condemn this bullshit tax plan.

A one-time payout of bonuses for employees is certainly nice...but not when Walmart stands to make more money than ever from here on out...and they're basically admitting already that no more of that money will go back to the workers. Again...nothing against Walmart (or these other companies) for simply taking what Trump is giving them on a silver plater. Full blame goes to the GoP and their blatant mismanagement of taxation to bolster corporate interests.

Those one-time bonuses will mean shit-all when those same people are paying hundreds (or thousands) more in taxes in the future.

Got bigger issues in our country

Meanwhile Trump is too busy issuing out imaginary awards.

Wonder why.

But the amusing part is that his sources like Fox and Breitbart are the biggest sources of fake news.

Doesn't change the fact that Breitbart and Fox News are still full of shit, and that Trump calling other news fake is ridiculous. If Fox News started criticizing Trump, he'd quickly start calling it fake news, while if CNN started praising Trump, he'd start saying it's the real news. His dumbass supporters don't even realize that there's something fishy behind Trump calling any source criticizing him as fake while being okay with any source that supports him.

I've come across tons of right wing sources and articles, and majority that I've fact checked ended up being bullshit, and what's disgusting is that their agenda was to create more division and hate by lying. Right wing sources won't retract most stories or care about false headlines that's wrong because they don't care as long as it serves what they want.

I'm not even saying this from a left-wing point of view, as I have my own issues with them as well.

Yeah not CNN that's had countless retractions and false headlines. You're right.

There are only three sources of information?

What? No one said there were only three sources.

Well...then why suddenly bring CNN up in response?

Yeah not CNN that's had countless retractions and false headlines. You're right.

There are only three sources of information?

What? No one said there were only three sources.

Well...then why suddenly bring CNN up in response?

Pretty simple really. He mentioned two sources that he believed to be the worst in fake news and I mentioned a 3rd that has actually been worse and has many cases of reporting false stuff and retracting it. We didn't act like they were the only ones. And they aren't the only untrustworthy sources either. It wasn't sudden at all.

Maybe I.just always catch Fox News on good days cause every time I peep it in passing everything seems legit enough. Well, save today when they were making fun of Republicans, which was a painfully obvious mockery of Democrats making fun of Republicans.

Archived