CAWs.ws
Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS Feed

U.S. Politics Discussion

• Please log in to reply
4630 replies to this topic

Poll: Government Shutdown (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What will come out of the shutdown?

1. Republicans get what they want (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. Democrats Get what they want (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

3. Both sides get something out of it (9 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. Neither side gets anything (9 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3781 TheShape_1978

TheShape_1978

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • SEN (PS3): TheShape_1978

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

Finishing the documentary on the Roosevelts, and it's made me wonder what would have happened if FDR had lived and/or the Republicans weren't trying to hurt America by striking down New Deal where they could. For all his shortcomings, FDR was a great leader and a great president who would have done even more good for America and its citizens, and Eleanor was great too. 

Republicans were striking it down because it hurt a lot of people, especially blacks.

https://www.cato.org...eal-harm-blacks

#3782 Generations

Generations

You want to see something...really scary?

• Members
  • 91,557 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

#3783 NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep

HURT! HEAL!

• Members
  • 5,054 posts
  • SEN (PS3): NegativeCr33p_94
  • Steam ID: NegativeCreep
  • Twitter: @N3gativeCr33p

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Preach it, Jon Stewart... preach it!

#3784 WNX

WNX

Upper Midcard

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • Gamertag: WebbanationX
  • SEN (PS3): WebbanationX

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:19 PM

Good lord that was powerful

#3785 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,665 posts
  • SEN (PS3): ask in PM
  • Twitter: ask in PM

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

Finishing the documentary on the Roosevelts, and it's made me wonder what would have happened if FDR had lived and/or the Republicans weren't trying to hurt America by striking down New Deal where they could. For all his shortcomings, FDR was a great leader and a great president who would have done even more good for America and its citizens, and Eleanor was great too. 

Republicans were striking it down because it hurt a lot of people, especially blacks.

I smell bullshit in that article. Pretty sure they were striking it down because they didn't want it helping Americans.

#3786 Scott Eastwood

Scott Eastwood

Upper Midcard

• Members
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:21 AM

I smell bullshit in that article. Pretty sure they were striking it down because they didn't want it helping Americans.

of course you don't it doesn't fit with your belief system so it must not be true . During the time FDR, still felt he had to worry about his southern white voters. So a lot of his polices didn't help them or when it did it only helped them out tiny bit. And his wife had to push for that. he eventually helped more (if I'm not mistaken)  but that was later after the new deal 

Edited by Scott Eastwood, 12 June 2019 - 07:44 AM.

#3787 TheShape_1978

TheShape_1978

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:55 PM

Hell of a speech by Stewart.  Congress should be ashamed.

#3788 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:30 AM

of course you don't it doesn't fit with your belief system so it must not be true . During the time FDR, still felt he had to worry about his southern white voters. So a lot of his polices didn't help them or when it did it only helped them out tiny bit. And his wife had to push for that. he eventually helped more (if I'm not mistaken)  but that was later after the new deal 

Er, I know about that, and I also know that he wasn't vocal about supporting Black people out of fear of losing votes. It has nothing to do with my belief system and everything to do with Black people and others being disenfranchised before FDR, and how FDR's program gave so many jobless people work with pay, which resulted in transformed land for the better. 

I'm not a conservative, I'm not gonna deny anything or believe what I want just because it doesn't fit in with my views. Note I also pointed out FDR had his shortcomings as well, and his prioritizing votes/support over visibly supporting unpopular things was a part of them. I think Teddy Roosevelt even invited a Black person for the first time in the White House but never did it again after the backlash he got. 

And you did say he eventually helped more. 

#3789 Scott Eastwood

Scott Eastwood

Upper Midcard

• Members
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:42 AM

Er, I know about that, and I also know that he wasn't vocal about supporting Black people out of fear of losing votes. It has nothing to do with my belief system and everything to do with Black people and others being disenfranchised before FDR, and how FDR's program gave so many jobless people work with pay, which resulted in transformed land for the better. 

I'm not a conservative, I'm not gonna deny anything or believe what I want just because it doesn't fit in with my views. Note I also pointed out FDR had his shortcomings as well, and his prioritizing votes/support over visibly supporting unpopular things was a part of them. I think Teddy Roosevelt even invited a Black person for the first time in the White House but never did it again after the backlash he got. 

but here's how it hurt http://www.digitalhi...tID=2&psid=3447

#3790 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

Oh I didn't know about their land being taken away. Documentary did mention that while Roosevelt didn't publicly support an anti-lynching bill, he did say he'd sign it if it came before him. 

#3791 TheShape_1978

TheShape_1978

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:33 AM

Pot meet kettle.

#3792 TheShape_1978

TheShape_1978

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:35 AM

The United States Supreme Court made a good decision in the case of American Legion v. American Humanist Association.  They decided that a WWI monument to slain soldiers was able to keep standing.

#3793 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 53,665 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:14 AM

That was quite weird on the atheists' part. Don't care for the monument, but there's no reason to take it down, even less so just because it looks like a cross. 

Roy Moore is also eyeing a senate seat in the 2020. Yikes, but I wouldn't be surprised if the voters of "family values" backed him just because liberals don't like him for kissing a minor as an adult. 

#3794 TheShape_1978

TheShape_1978

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:50 AM

That was quite weird on the atheists' part. Don't care for the monument, but there's no reason to take it down, even less so just because it looks like a cross. 

Roy Moore is also eyeing a senate seat in the 2020. Yikes, but I wouldn't be surprised if the voters of "family values" backed him just because liberals don't like him for kissing a minor as an adult. 

Hate to disappoint you, but the GOP doesn't even want him running.

#3795 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 91,557 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:25 AM

This dude Trumplestiltskin looking like a proper buffoon on the Iran situation. 

#3796 TheShape_1978

TheShape_1978

Lower Midcard

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:27 AM

By calling off retaliatory strikes?

Edited by TheShape_1978, 22 June 2019 - 05:28 AM.

#3797 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 91,557 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:31 AM

By calling off retaliatory strikes?

Nothing about this comes off as anything other than him having no *censored*ing clue what he's doing.

You really can't flip flop on whether you want to start a goddamn war or not. Especially when our relations with Saudi Arabia and Russia are such blatant public knowledge these days, and the entire situation is marred in controversy. Everything he's doing (or not doing) reeks of war games. He was ready to attack Iran. Russia literally tells him not to. And now he says it wouldn't be a good idea? Mmmmkay then.

I'm glad we aren't attacking Iran (yet). But, you'd have to be pretty naive to think that there's actually some benevolent reasoning for the attack being called off. The timing on absolutely every aspect of this Iran situation has been shady at best. All it feels like is an administration that can't decide whether a war will help them or harm them in the next election. 

And don't get me started on the timing of the Saudi arms deal being blocked by the senate. Gee...I wonder if that could have anything to do with him magically not wanting a war with Iran anymore...hmmm. You decide that retaliatory action is not the answer, as soon as you no longer stand to make a bunch of money off retaliatory action?

giphy.gif

Edited by Generations, 22 June 2019 - 06:04 AM.

#3798 AONO.

AONO.

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

so people are actually for attacking Iran here?

jfc

And this is bigger than Trump, it's not him just flip flopping about it.
The good thing is that the people who are looking for it, are maybe even realising that this is a war they can't win. And would have major worldwide reprecussions.

Edited by aono55, 22 June 2019 - 09:57 AM.

#3799 Bdon

Bdon

Taxation is Theft

• Members
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

I knew this Iran shit would start in when John Bolton was appointed. Such a warmongering piece of garbage.

#3800 maskedmaniac

maskedmaniac

Undefeated at Wrestlemania: 0-0

• Members
  • 21,983 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

If kings had to fight their own wars, there would be no war. It's pretty easy for those in power to start a war of convenience and then send someone else's children off to fight.