Linkin Park's Chester Bennington commits suicide

E#37

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us the singer hanged himself at a private residence in Palos Verdes Estates in L.A. County. His body was discovered Thursday just before 9 AM.

Chester was married with 6 children from 2 wives.

The singer struggled with drugs and alcohol for years. He had said in the past he had considered committing suicide because he had been abused as a child by an older male.

Chester was very close with Chris Cornell, who himself committed suicide by hanging in May. Today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday.

The band has had a string of hits over the years, including "Faint," "In the End" and "Crawling." Linkin Park crossed music genres, collaborating with Jay-Z.

The band's album, "Meteroa," was one of the biggest alternative albums in music history.

Bennington was 41.

RIP

http://www.tmz.com/

Big part of my early teen years right there. So sad.

RIP

Made a topic at the same time. Someone can merge my comment into here, I guess...or just delete the other one.

Never a big fan of Linkin Park...but he seemed like a happy dude. I just watched an episode of GMM a few weeks ago with him and Mike Shinoda, and he seemed full of life. Shame.

Never cared for their music other than the few hits they had in the early/mid 2000's but it always sucks to see someone take their own life. Sounds like he had his problems and looking at everything, I feel like Chris Cornell probably had a profound effect on him.

Crazy how he was just doing this, and then he's in a dark enough place to take his life...

It's crazy how some people can have really dark sides. Seems like more often than not, it's the people you wouldn't really expect. I mean, as the article says he had his issues, as does everyone, but I don't think anyone really expected this to happen.

Never really was into Linkin Park, but there's no denying they were a lot of people's "first band" if you know what I mean. That band that breaks through to you as a kid and opens the door to loving music for you. Easily one of the most culturally significant bands of the 2000s. I never got it, but clearly millions and millions of other people did. Clearly his lyrics really spoke to a lot of people. So yeah, feeling for them. I know if a guy like Billie Joe Armstrong of Gerard Way died, I'd be devastated even though I don't really listen to them too much anymore. Wish he could have found a sufficient form of getting help.

Archived