New Saw movie "Jigsaw" set for October 27, 2017

I knew they were planning a reboot for awhile, I didn't know it would be this quick

Not a reboot, takes place 7 years after the last one

That is a reboot. You're thinking he meant remake. They're rebooting the franchise because it's been dead for several years. Sequels can be reboots too.

Also Saw should stay dead, it turned to shit after the third one. I thought Get Out would be the start of a new interesting era for horror movies, but more of the same.

I knew they were planning a reboot for awhile, I didn't know it would be this quick

That is a reboot. You're thinking he meant remake. They're rebooting the franchise because it's been dead for several years. Sequels can be reboots too.

Also Saw should stay dead, it turned to shit after the third one. I thought Get Out would be the start of a new interesting era for horror movies, but more of the same.

I actually enjoyed the whole story arc, but yeah the quality definitely went after the third one, it became far more about just out doing the gore factor rather than the psychology and story like the first two.

I wonder sometimes if the story arc would actually be better with the more gory scenes cut out, and left to the imagination - like Silence of the Lambs did so well.

And if it takes place seven years after Saw VII, then it cannot possibly be about Jigsaw, because he's been dead since III - and there's no way that he would have setup plans that far in the future. And seven years before makes no sense, because John Kramer's story has already been told in flashbacks.

Reboots disregard all continuity on the previous movie (series if applicable) in favor of a new continuity, like Spider-Man vs The Amazing Spiderman. And remakes are modern takes on old films like Total Recall, The Ring, and Carrie etc

But I agree Saw should stay dead

Or you should make new and interesting horror movies instead of same formula and relying on IP's.

"There is money to be made" argument is bullshit. That's why Transformers still exists, that's why Sony get ahead of themselves whenever it comes to Spider-Man and that's why every franchise wants to he like marvel. Stop dragging up old and beaten names and do something else.

Horror especially has been in such a shitty state for years and needs a serious reboom. Redoing Saw or making The Conjuring 4 or "Inside The Walls" movie 12386 is not doing it, it's plateauing the genre and not doing anyone any favours. It's insulting.

As a general rule, I don't like horror movies - certainly gore fests really do nothing for me. If they can't tell a good story with this one, and it's not part of the original story arc, then I'm mildly curious at best.

As I said above, I think the real masters of horror get the balance right between showing everything, and showing just enough to let your mind fill in the blanks.

Nah, it really shouldn't. There's people who want to see it and money to be made. That logic is *censored*ed.

You can always just watch what you like from a franchise and ignore the rest.

Not really

Its perfectly fine for me to not want more bad/uninteresting movies being made. You are right there are people who might want to see them, but I don't, and that's all I care about. If they want to see that stuff more power to them, but the shit sucks.

Or you should make new and interesting horror movies instead of same formula and relying on IP's.

"There is money to be made" argument is bullshit. That's why Transformers still exists, that's why Sony get ahead of themselves whenever it comes to Spider-Man and that's why every franchise wants to he like marvel. Stop dragging up old and beaten names and do something else.

Horror especially has been in such a shitty state for years and needs a serious reboom. Redoing Saw or making The Conjuring 4 or "Inside The Walls" movie 12386 is not doing it, it's plateauing the genre and not doing anyone any favours. It's insulting.

It's not as easy as you may think it is. Seriously. Unless there is a lot of hype behind it like Paranormal Activity of course. Going with franchises that have name value behind it is what sells movie tickets. I'm not saying it is right but it's why it happens.

And no, horror's been rather fine. You probably just watch the mainstream shit. And if so, Lights Out, Get Out and Ouija 2 were all good movies. In the latter's case, it's because they attached a good director to it. Just like they're doing with Annabelle 2. If there's still room for a story, I really don't see the problem.

Nah, I said actual efforts have been made in some cases. The first Ouija sucked. They acknowledged that and attached a very capable director to the sequel. The first Annabelle sucked. They attached...

And in the case of Jigsaw, same thing. My entire point is simply that there's nothing inherently wrong with sequels and franchises. Especially if actual efforts are made. Not everybody is Bay.

Nah, I said actual efforts have been made in some cases. The first Ouija sucked. They acknowledged that and attached a very capable director to the sequel. The first Annabelle sucked. They attached...

And in the case of Jigsaw, same thing. My entire point is simply that there's nothing inherently wrong with sequels and franchises. Especially if actual efforts are made. Not everybody is Bay.

Not everybody is Michael Bay, but a lot of them are. Before Wonder Woman you saw what DC was putting out. You saw how entirely generic and meaningless Jurassic World was. You saw how Ghostbusters turned out.

There is nothing inherently wrong with franchises, but my point is you shouldn't have to rely on already established IP's (especially dredging up ones like Saw which have been dead for a while) to make movies. If it's done right then it's done right, but the potential for originality should never be overlooked for a 15th damn Saw movie.

While I'm more than happy to get more Saw, Halloween and even Jurassic World (even though I agree with what you said about it), part of the problem is that people don't really accept a lot of original ideas.

Yeah, horror buffs will find enjoyment in original concepts like The Witch or It Comes at Night, but casuals completely shit on them. I don't think I've been in theaters with more walk-outs than those movies had. I don't think it's going to change due to known properties making way more in the box office.

Mentioning Jurassic Park, if they'd followed the Michael Crichton novel, that would definitely have been a horror movie. I'd love to see someone go back and reboot it in a few years, and be more faithful to the book.

Nedry's death in the novel is one of the most graphic things I've ever read, and I can still remember it almost word for word.

Anyway, back on point, I hope Jigsaw isn't going to become some supernatural undead entity, the premise of the Saw franchise hinged on the fact that John Kramer was just a normal man who lost his mind and decided to become judge and jury to those he deemed had wasted their lives following his wife's miscarriage and his diagnosis with terminal cancer. If anything "Jigsaw" becomes more terrifying because of the realism, he's not just a monster or zombie or something fantastic. There could be a John Kramer type person in real life. That's not really something you can get with Freddy or Jason.

That's also another reason why Dr Hannibal Lecter works so well. He's utterly believable.

Archived