Twin Peaks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very much enjoying it so far. Appreciate that it's something completely new and different from previous seasons.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it and embracing the different direction the show has taken. I know I've come across some hardcore Twin Peaks who are surprisingly rather sour about the show, at least initially. As the season has developed, they've become more positive -- especially with the latest episode which was more plot driven. For me, I've loved this thing since the first four parts went up. I like that it's different from anything we've seen in the Twin Peaks world including the film, which was also quite different from the series. I like how it morphs and grows whenever Lynch is at the helm.

Yeah in alot of ways it's like the anti-reboot of a cult television show. I think I saw a graph of actual time spent in Twin Peaks per episode and I don't think it's ever hit anything over 22 (?) minutes I believe. I like how it seems to be a continuation of everything Lynch had done. You can find elements of all his previous works here. Since he's getting older, it has make me wonder if this is going to be his final project.

Yeah, I think you're right... although I haven't seen how much time was spent there in Part 7, yet.

I don't think it'll be his last project. For one, he has other interests unrelated to film or TV such as painting, music, and woodwork, so if he's not working in the film/TV medium, he's working somewhere else. And two, Inland Empire felt the same way and look how that turned out! We're currently watching parts of a 18 hour David Lynch film. Haha. So I'm pretty sure he'll be fine; this won't be his swan song in any form as long as he has ideas, the support, and is in good health.

So far the show reminds me of Mulholland Dr. with its unraveling, episodic narrative-structure that becomes clearer as the plot progresses, the Inland Empire / davidlynch.com era with the abstract, unrealistic digital effects and lastly, his artwork with its various character/set designs and effects (e.g. the glass box and creature, the charred man, The Evolution of the Arm, the vomit etc.). There are also moments that feel awfully like Eraserhead like the part 3 opener.

Yeah I meant in terms of film and television, but you're right. Never expect anything with David Lynch.

And the vomit scene was truly the most disturbing thing I've seen on screen in a very very long time. Brilliant. Completey vile, but brilliant.

Only thing I'm bummed about is no Harry, which for some reason I thought he was signed on until the premiere. But the quality has been so good so far that his abscence isn't detrimental at all.

I liked how the vomit had creamed corn in it!

Oh yeah, no Michael Ontkean is a bummer. His warm, gentle presence as Sheriff Truman is greatly missed. If I recall the rumors correctly he bowed out a little later in the process so the script was reworked a bit. I will say I'm enjoying Robert Forster as the new sheriff, though. I like that he adds a new dynamic to the department.

Wow. I'd like to hear how the people who were complaining about the peanut sweeping scene last week felt about this episode.

Lots of amazing stuff going on with sound here (apart from the god damn Nine Inch Nails song). The convenience store always contains the creepiest shit to me, so nice to see that location return with even more creepy shit. Complete with men in full black facepaint, which is just coincidentally a thing that has always creeped me personally.

My first impression is that this is an episode meant to expand the lore rather than advance the plot all that much. What I'm lead to assume is that the atomic bomb created some sort of rift that allowed entities like Bob into our world. The Giant sends Laura Palmer to our world to combat Bob in some fashion (?). I'm trying not to speculate too hard, I think it's rather pointless to do that, but this is just how I was interpreting it scene to scene as I was watching.

Haha! That was probably the most experimental hour of TV I've seen on American television to date. I gotta give props to Showtime for supporting Lynch/Frost and their vision.

Oh, I enjoyed the Nine Inch Nails song! It fit so well with the tone of the episode. It was perfect. I also liked how they had this square, displaced announcer from another era introducing this dark, leather-clad band playing distorted, heavy music. I thought the disparity between the two was humorous.

The sound design was so evocative and unsettling. I particularly liked it during the convenience store scene. The music choices were great as well. From Penderecki to The Platters to (more!) Badalamenti, they were all used so beautifully with the striking, gorgeous visuals.

For sure regarding the plot. That was my first takeaway as well. This episode developed the lore behind the "Lodges" in a major way not seen since FWWM -- a prospect that I did not quite fathom after last week's more traditional, grounded episode. Furthermore, I like how everything always leads back to Laura. When she returns, it's going to be something really special. But yeah, your reading of the events generally align with mine. What are your thoughts about the closing moments with the frog-insect thing? What do you think that was?

I thought it fit well too, it's just I've never liked Nine Inch Nails. The idea that a band like Nine Inch Nails would even be in a small town like Twin Peaks was weird enough for me to find humor in the situation. Like I'm imaging being the guy in charge of their booking, getting this huge band to play in some middle of nowhere town.

I have no idea! There's something obviously going on with duality. The combination of the predator (frog) and the prey (the fly) into a single being. People are speculating that the girl is Sarah Palmer but her canon birth year is 1945 I believe so she'd only be like 12 when that scene occurs and that girl looked a bit older. On top of that the actress looks almost nothing like the adult Sarah Palmer. At first I thought the poem being recited over the radio was guiding the creature to crawl into her mouth but now I'm thinking it may have been the creature responding to the evil blackface man's prescence to combat him in some way. I'm hoping we get another lore episode like this. Maybe not in two weeks but at some point before the finale. It's a welcome diversion from the ongoing plot.

Ah, see I like the absurdity of the Roadhouse booking big acts (well, assuming that they are big acts in the world of Twin Peaks, which judging by the size of the crowds, it sure looks looks like it). Initially, it bugged me but by parts 5 and 6 I began to roll with it since 1) I really do like the music they've featured and 2) in a twisted way, I like how it shows that the Roadhouse isn't immune to the present-day reality of gentrification.

I'm not buying the Sarah Palmer theory (or any theory that casts that creature in a positive light for that matter) just yet myself -- namely for the reasons you stated but also because what the creature actually did which was enter into a young girl's window at night (much like BOB) and commit an act of violation (again like BOB) by crawling into her mouth while she's asleep. I don't see how that can be a positive thing. Plus, there's the fact that the Experiment that vomited BOB also seemed to have vomited eggs that looked like the egg the creature hatched from. So with all that taken into account, that theory currently doesn't add up to me. Nonetheless, I will admit that it could make an interesting act of subversion -- something this season has done quite a bit of.

I think Laura being some being sent to defeat Bob makes Bob being in Leland's life as child all the more interesting. Like Bob has been fighting to get rid of her decades before she is born. He sets out to make her life a living hell by manipulating her own father. It's not new information necessarily, it was always clear that Laura was meant to be something special and Bob was obviously targeting her for some reason, but it seems to be becoming more concrete. I like the idea of Laura being sent and Bob suddenly going into "oh shit" mode and having a set goal to eliminate Laura Palmer at least since around the late 40s and 50s when Leland was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn they really managed to make Sky Ferreira look really gross looking.

First off, for whatever reason the Showtime website was running like absolute dogshit. It's streaming, I expect a few hiccups, but for some reason this time I was getting frames staying still for more than 5 seconds. So that's frustrating, since I'm paying for it and all. First world problems I know, just stung more after a two week break. Made it three minutes before calling it quits and just downloading the app real quick and watching it in bed on my phone. App works great though, Showtime good work on that.

Cool to see there's a real website for Will Hasting's zone blog. People are already investigating it. Excited to check out their findings in the morning tomorrow.

I'm completey sold on new Sheriff Truman. Brings such a warm presence to the screen. Manages to fill that void left by Harry Truman without being just a second rate copy.

Weird brief little scene with Johnny Horne there. Wonder if the scene with Ben took place afterwards chronologically based on the fact that he didn't seem phased. Then again I don't know if it'd be completely out of his character to seem like he doesn't care. I might have to rewatch to see how severe the thing with Johnny was, he just seemed dead to me though.

Wonder what larger role Ella will play. Not really much room for speculation at this point, simply just seemed like a character introduction. Have no clue if that rash is something important to the plot or some quirky character trait. Can be certain about those type of things in this show. I've met people who thought that Nadine having super strength was going to be some major plot point during their first viewing of the original series. Turned out just to be a comedic thing. That being said I have a feeling that this season isn't going to have that kind of fluff. I have a gut feeling that everything we've seen thus far is somehow going to converge into a single thread. Have nothing more than a gut feeling to go on that though.

For reference, here's Hastings' site: http://thesearchforthezone.com It's fun to look through. I'm curious see how the reading links will relate to the show.

Loved the armpit rash moment. The sound of her scratching it made me squirm! I agree, I'm not sure how these two characters will figure into the narrative, other than them being a part of the town's seedy underbelly.

Loved the Johnny Horne scene. Odd and humorous at first, then WHAM! it suddenly turns tragic and graphic. I know I saw a person or two mention how they found the scene confusing, like they know didn't it was Johnny Horne -- but when Sylvia uttered his name I thought it what was pretty clear as to who it was and what was happening. And what happened... yeah, it didn't look too good.

As for Ben being seemingly unaware: on this viewing, I just chalked it up as him being truly oblivious to the incident. Why or how is he oblivious? Err... dunno. lol I haven't given it much thought. I don't think the scenes are out of order, though. And do believe good (and bad) Ben would very much care if his son died or was hurt really badly.

Speaking of the Hornes, Jerry's scene was, yet again, a riot! So dumb. So absurd. I loved it!

I'm very interested to see where this Bad Dale / Diane thing is going. Is he taunting her? Or is there something else going on?

Looking forward to see what will be uncovered at the site Bobby, Hawk, and Truman will be heading to soon. I wonder if it will be the dossier?

• 3 weeks later...

Going to try to sum up my thoughts on the last two episodes and hopefully I don't forget too much.

I don't know why it never crossed my mind that the Hornes just might be separated. That definitey was never out of the realm of possibility, just never gave that any consideration for some reason. Ben does have a ring on still though. Glad to see Johnny is just a little banged up. Love that weird British teddy bear. It reminded me of some sort of Teddy Ruxpin that Johnny would have kept since he was a child in the 80s to the point where over 30 years later it's face had worn off.

Speaking of the Hornes I love how much a *Censored* up Richard is. He's such an evil bastard but he's constantly *censored*ing up like when he hit the kid and when he tried gassing up the trailer with the massive hole that he put in it when crashing through the door. He's so fun to watch. Perfect casting. Has a very reptilian look to his face that's so menacing. I'm curious as to why he's so evil. One theory I've heard is that he's possibly the child of rape between Evil Coop and comatose Audrey. Seems kind of *censored*ed up to me, but then again we have seen the naked , decapitated body of Major Briggs this season among other things. I just don't think there's enough evidence for me as of yet to jump to that theory. Though some form of Coop has clearly done something *censored*ed up to Diane.

The scene where Janey-E is riding DougieCoop killed me. The big grin on his face with his arms flapping up and down like a penguin.

Gordon Cole is hilarious as always. Him proclaiming Will as dead is probably the hardest I've laughed all season. When they brought in the coffee and doughnuts I could of sworn David Lynch looked directly into the camera. Might have to rewatch.

I'm trying to get a grasp on what they're going with with the Candie character. She's had a spotlight put on her in the last couple of episodes. She brings out more sympathetic elements in the Mitchum brothers. There's some similarities between her and Dougie, although she isn't as severe as Dougie. I'm not sure if she's a character meant to maintain the surrealism or if there's an explanation or a purpose in how she acts. The fact that she's with two other girls but is constantly given the most attention leads me to believe she may have a role to play going forward.

Interesting to see more Becky, Shelly, and Bobby. Sad to see the cycle of abuse continue with Becky. I always felt it was implied that Shelly never had a great home life. We never see her parents in this small town. She constantly got involved with shady characters. And it's sad to see that continue for her. Bobby was able to break free from that because he always had the support system from a family that presumably Shelly never had. Interesting to note that Becy's husband Steven is cheating on her with Donna's little sister, which I didn't even notice until reading the credits.

I was wondering if there was anything contained within the lyrics of the song as the end part 10 that were significant, seeing as they were written by Lynch. Turns out it's a song that he wrote awhile ago I guess. Oh well. Still one of my favorite bar performances. Loved the vocal effects. Also dug thag Moby was the guitar player for some reason. Credited simply as "musician". Brilliant.

Glad to see Johnny is just a little banged up. Love that weird British teddy bear. It reminded me of some sort of Teddy Ruxpin that Johnny would have kept since he was a child in the 80s to the point where over 30 years later it's face had worn off.

Ha! That bear with the Lynch-crafted head was pretty demented, wasn't it? I loved that scene so much. It was so bone chilling and sad.

One theory I've heard is that he's possibly the child of rape between Evil Coop and comatose Audrey. Seems kind of *censored*ed up to me, but then again we have seen the naked , decapitated body of Major Briggs this season among other things. I just don't think there's enough evidence for me as of yet to jump to that theory. Though some form of Coop has clearly done something *censored*ed up to Diane.

It sure seems like they're heading that way. I don't see why they would include Doc Hayward's observation if the father was someone else. Although, it could be a red herring. Hmm...

The scene where Janey-E is riding DougieCoop killed me. The big grin on his face with his arms flapping up and down like a penguin.

I love the absurdity of her screaming out Dougie's name. It's the pièce de résistance of people uttering his name.

Gordon Cole is hilarious as always. Him proclaiming Will as dead is probably the hardest I've laughed all season. When they brought in the coffee and doughnuts I could of sworn David Lynch looked directly into the camera. Might have to rewatch.

YES! What a great one liner! Another great moment during that scene was Gordon Cole's stretching his arms at the intimidating portal and then we cut to the POV of everyone else and all we see is him reaching at... nothing. It reminded me of some of his artwork that have figures with long, extended arms. DougieCoop does a bit of reaching himself as well, notably when there's coffee around.

Incidentally, this lithograph is called Reaching out for Nothing :

9GHasKb.jpg

I'm trying to get a grasp on what they're going with with the Candie character. She's had a spotlight put on her in the last couple of episodes. She brings out more sympathetic elements in the Mitchum brothers. There's some similarities between her and Dougie, although she isn't as severe as Dougie. I'm not sure if she's a character meant to maintain the surrealism or if there's an explanation or a purpose in how she acts. The fact that she's with two other girls but is constantly given the most attention leads me to believe she may have a role to play going forward.

Her behavior being similar to Cooper's did cross my mind in this last part, but I don't think they're related. I think it's an eccentricity that will go unexplained (although it's worth noting that the actress who plays Candie concocted her own backstory for the character). I also don't think we'll see her and the Mitchum brothers much after this part. Maybe we'll get a scene or two, but I think their part of the narrative is over. Next will be Tony Sinclair's turn to dispatch ol' Dougie boy.

Interesting to note that Becy's husband Steven is cheating on her with Donna's little sister, which I didn't even notice until reading the credits.

Same. When I saw Alicia Witt's name appear in the credits I was like, "Wait a minute. How'd I miss her? :???: "

I'm interested to see what they do with her character. I don't think anyone expected Donna's sweet, little piano-prodigy sister to be involved in a toxic love triangle with two troubled drug addicts with a propensity for violence.

I was wondering if there was anything contained within the lyrics of the song as the end part 10 that were significant, seeing as they were written by Lynch. Turns out it's a song that he wrote awhile ago I guess. Oh well. Still one of my favorite bar performances. Loved the vocal effects. Also dug thag Moby was the guitar player for some reason. Credited simply as "musician". Brilliant.

Nothing against Moby, but I wish the original guitarist and co-writer of the song, John Neff was playing the guitar. He played a large role in Lynch 00s work, so it would have been nice to see him make an appearance.

I totally forgot that in episode one the Giant (or ????? as he's credited) says to remember Richard and Linda until fairly recently. I'm started to buy more into the idea that Dopplecoop is Richard's dad now because of that. Now Linda hasn't been shown on screen, but has been mentioned. I think all we know is that she lives in the trailer park and a few other details.

I totally forgot that in episode one the Giant (or ????? as he's credited) says to remember Richard and Linda until fairly recently. I'm started to buy more into the idea that Dopplecoop is Richard's dad now because of that. Now Linda hasn't been shown on screen, but has been mentioned. I think all we know is that she lives in the trailer park and a few other details.

Yeah. I wonder when we'll get to see her. Her name was dropped some time ago. Additionally, I'm curious as to what ???????? means when he says, "Two birds with one stone." Obviously, by the implication of the saying, he wants Cooper to achieve two things in a single action -- but what is it exactly? Does he want him to kill them as the saying traditionally goes? Or is it something else?

Recently just watched the original and have seen all new episodes and my god is it different.

You've watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, right?

• 2 weeks later...

K. I was thinking the Audrey dream theory was hogwash -- but after tonight's part, I'm not so sure. ?

James performing "Just You" at the Roadhouse was a welcome surprise. Him singing that song again really struck a cord. It brought back memories of Maddy and Donna (and Laura) for me; it made me realize how much I miss their presence.

Goddamn, the DougieCoop scenes keep cracking me up. And Sonny Jim playing on his new Gym set was so beautiful, touching, and odd. The way the scene was shot reminded me of the music video for "Crazy Clown Time."

I think somebody mentioned Billy being in the bar last week so I'm not completely on board the coma dream theory for Audrey. I'm getting the vibe that she possibly may have mental health issues after whatever run in she had with DoppleCoop and now she maintains this Brian Wilson/Eugene Landy type relationship with Charlie where the power structure is way out of balance. I'm not ruling out the dream theory though. I think it actually makes a lot of sense.

What's so *censored*ing weird is that for some reason I called James playing just you in this episode the scene before it happened. I have no idea why or how, it was some sort of strange premonition I had and it kind of creeped me out the rest of the episode. I love that they decided to include it. The scene in the original series is pretty polarizing, but I always thought it was a really pretty sounding song.

And yes! First thing I thought when I saw the backyard shot was the Crazy Clown Time music video. It night time setting, the Christmas lights. I love how this series has echos of all previous works of art Lynch has created.

The Dougiecoop scene in the beginning really reminded me of a scene that'd be in the old show, moreso than I think any previous scene.

As the series progresses I'm more sold on Richard being Dopplecoop's son. The way Richard was so drawn to him, moving his way to the front of the crowd, it's gotta be his kid. I guess that can also be attributed to Richard recognizing this character that rolled into town before he was born that everybody presumably remembered fondly since DoppleCoop didn't stick aroung long enough to damage OG Coop's image. I don't know the kid's just to damn evil not to be Dopplecoop's kid.

The scene with Ed at the end was so sad. Ed was always one of my favorite characters. He just reminded me of the type of character you'd meet from where I'm from. It doesn't help that Everett McGill has such a lovable face. But seeing him eating all alone, still unable to be with Norma after all these years made me feel bad. Especially since he's old now, the idea that he's never gotten to be fully happy in his whole life. Made me realize that most of the characters from the original series that everybody loves aren't in places they want to be in currently.

Also I don't know what the hell was going on with Ed's reflection. It wasn't moving in sync with what he was doing, and he clearly noticed. We'll wait and see I guess.

Also in the Sarah Palmer scene it looked like their was a bowl of cream corn in the shot.

Archived