Official SummerSlam Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You lads already forgot Reigns beat Balor clean while supposedly injured a couple weeks ago?

Who cares. That match was meaningless.

It was worse when he beat Wyatt as soon as he began his mission to hurt everyone in the Extreme Rules match.

Who cares. That match was meaningless.

It still doesn't mean losses are meaningless. You think it wouldn't matter if Brock showed up on Raw and lost a random match to whoever? Or Cena? Not losing those meaningless matches is the difference maker. That's why I laughed after that Finn vs Roman match when someone said 'don't worry they'll all be trading wins and losses building up to the ppv'.

Difference is Lesnar is an unstoppable force who is built up to be on another level and Cena is ... Cena. Also on another level.

Active superstars who wrestle week in and week out can afford random losses on weekly television.

It still doesn't mean losses are meaningless. You think it wouldn't matter if Brock showed up on Raw and lost a random match to whoever? Or Cena? Not losing those meaningless matches is the difference maker. That's why I laughed after that Finn vs Roman match when someone said 'don't worry they'll all be trading wins and losses building up to the ppv'.

One of the dudes who book SD (Road Dogg) flat out admitted they don't. That's why you see dudes like Wyatt and Jinder becoming champion after losing constantly. If they don't care, why should I care?

I know you like to take wrestling seriously (not a personal shot btw) but WWE does not treat wrestling like a sport like other promotions do. It's entertainment first.

Personally, I prefer the booking in NXT. But yeah, I don't take random losses on RAW or SD, that rarely ever get brought up again, seriously.

One of the dudes who book SD (Road Dogg) flat out admitted they don't. That's why you see dudes like Wyatt and Jinder becoming champion after losing constantly. If they don't care, why should I care?

They not caring about wins and losses doesn't mean the fans don't. Do you think fans would've bought in to Lesnar when he came in if instead of dominating his opponents he was getting 50/50 booking and losing every couple weeks? And do you actually believe they believe that? If that was the case why does Roman never lose clean in random matches like everyone else? Just a coincidence?

Balor is definitely the kind of guy who can eat losses, as long as he wins the big matches when they matter. Oh...and as long as the losses look like he legitimately almost won, but then didn't. If he's putting everything into a match and then losing for what is essentially poor luck, I think that's fine. Obviously not losing every match...but he can lose a handful here and there. He isn't a big guy. Nothing about him screams "'l'll look silly if I lose".

I take greater exception to someone like Rusev being jobbed out. There's a guy who looks like he should be winning 90% of his matches...and when he does lose, it should look like someone really pulled one over on him. But, everything is in its own category. One person losing a bunch is not the same as someone else losing a bunch. Balor can take those losses...for now. WWE shouldn't make a habit of it, but I don't see cause for alarm. In fact, I feel like Reigns specifically has been pretty good at telling a story with his opponents...where he wins, but he usually looks like he underestimated the shit out of them and almost didn't win. Another reason why I really don't mind the guy.

Agree with everything Gen said except the Reigns thing.

AND that's only because I hate going into matches knowing who is going to win. Like I do with Reigns matches 90% of the time.

There's a big difference between Balor and Brock. Character wise. I don't think Bray or Rusev (who went undefeated for a year) should be losing often.

AND that's only because I hate going into matches knowing who is going to win. Like I do with Reigns matches 90% of the time.

Reigns has actually lost to some pretty surprising opponents...so, I don't really get these types of complaints. The outcome of his matches isn't nearly as predictable as some other people...

The thing is remember how big it was when Balor on his first night on Raw beat Roman clean in the middle? That was a big moment because not only was it a no1 contender's match but because he beat Roman. If Roman was losing every other week it would've mean meaningless, that's the thing. What motivation do I have to watch any singles match that has no repercussions if it doesn't matter who wins?

And yeah, Balor beat Roman clean when Roman was at 100% and then Roman beat Balor on Raw with *censored*ed up ribs, but whatever. They might say wins and losses don't matter but the average casual fan would look at that and say 'damn, Roman with *censored*ed up ribs still beat this guy? What a neeerd'. The conclusion to take is that Balor is clearly not on Roman's league and why would you want to do that?

Great mentality :cool:

The mentality of realism? The mentality that not every can be on Brock and Cena's level and that they can still be huge successful stars without needing to be?

Get your head out the clouds.

Reigns has actually lost to some pretty surprising opponents...so, I don't really get these types of complaints. The outcome of his matches isn't nearly as predictable as some other people...

Like who? O_o

He rarely loses on RAW. And he doesn't entertain me aside from his feud with Braun so that's also part of it...

Archived