#322 A-Bel

A-Bel

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,387 posts
  • Gamertag: DonutBelcher88
  • Twitter: TheAdamBelcher

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

Got a HP fire naive Kyurem. Only took 6 hours of soft resetting :)

#323 Monkey D. Jiggy

Monkey D. Jiggy

Kurosaki Ichigo

• Members
  • 23,445 posts
  • Twitter: @Jackel_Ramzilla

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

Apparently a beta version of Pokemon Gold was leaked, with all sorts of revelations, with the most notable ones being:

• Misty and Giovanni are members of the Elite Four.
  • The starters, except for Chikorita, are very different. And even then, Chikorita evolves in a Pokémon that's very different to Bayleef, but still goes back to Meganium at the end.
  • The entire region of Kanto was condensed into a singular town, the map was not a region, but an entire country, vastly different to what ended up as Johto.
  • Red is the Gym Leader of Kanto.
  • Several prototypes of Pokémon of which the concepts were used in Pokémons of later gens, including an electric tiger that may or may not be Gorochu. Or Zeraora. Or Luxray. Pokémon has a lot of electric tigers.
  • There's also a Water/Fire-type Pokémon, a type combination of which there currently exists only one: Volcanion.
  • Delibird has a Santa-hat. Octillery has a helmet.
  • Leafeon, which wasn't introduced until Gen IV, was supposed to be in Gen II.
  • Eevee evolves into Umbreon with a Poison Stone. Also, Poison Stones were a thing.
  • Pinsir has an evolution, called Pluksir and Farfetch'd has one too. Even Ditto has an evolution.
  • Weepinbell has an alternative final evolution besides Victreebel. It looks like a dung.
  • So much more Baby Pokémon, lots got cut.
  • Slowking's shell can actually be a seperate Pokémon, that doesn't fall in the evolutionary lines of either Slowpoke nor Shellder.

Pokémon Gold and Silver demo emerges after 20 years

Prototype designs galore including alternate forms and pre-evolutions, a super small Kanto with a drastically different map, and even a Picross minigame!.

A beta ROM of the second generation games Pokémon Gold and Silver has surfaced on the internet, revealing a wealth of brand new information. A team from website The Cutting Room Floor, dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games, has since revealed their findings thus far in a public Google Document. Here we provide a summary of the tastier discoveries, and why this is such a big deal in the first place.

Where was the Gold and Silver beta?

Back in 1997, Nintendo featured upcoming products at the Nintendo Spaceworld trade show. At this particular event was the first playable version of anticipated sequel titles, Pokémon Gold and Silver, some two years before they were released in Japan.

The demonstration isn’t unusual in itself – other Pokémon titles have had playable demos at conferences, including Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. However, two years is a long time in game development, so the version playable there was vastly different to the final product. Completely different Pokémon were present, for instance, and areas also evolved a lot since. There was even a skateboard item! But it was clear there was a lot more to be found than what remained in the final version of the files, hidden or otherwise.
Furthermore, the demo was never seen beyond such shows, and all that was contained within the prototype game was gone for good (or so it seemed). All fans had to go on were limited accounts of the event and expert detective work – for more information, check out this excellent write-up on GlitterBerri‘s website.

Why has it reappeared now?

It is not yet sure how people have gotten their hands on the demo. One claim is that one of these playable demos had found itself in the hands of an unknown collector. Reportedly, they recently passed away, and the demo among other items made their way to a second hand store. Luckily, someone there realised what it was, and got in touch with dataminers who could divulge the secrets.
The ROM file has been leaked; apparently by someone outside of the datamining crew for The Cutting Room Floor (TCRF). For obvious legal reasons we shall not be linking the dumped ROM file; but we can highlight some of the interesting aspects since revealed by TCRF staff. For the full set of information, check the website and current Google document.

Prototype Pokémon

There were completely different designs of Pokémon within the beta – for example, the Fire and Water Starters. The Fire one is completely unique, while the Water prototype Starter might have been an earlier version of the Popplio line. Chikorita exists however in the same form as the official version, as does Meganium. Bayleef however… may have had a reason behind its redesign.

There’s a wealth of pre-evolutions, for creatures like Vulpix, Growlithe, Ponyta, and even Grimer. Ditto has both a pre-evolution and an evolution – maybe an early basis for the item Metal Powder? Pinsir also has an evolution that was never seen again, although it did receive a Mega Evolution in generation six. Porygon2’s original form looked a lot like a lion mascot for a donuts franchise, Mister Donuts, but at least it stayed in the game in some form. Farfetch’d is less lucky, having an evolution in the beta but nothing like it in finished games since. Also notable was a Pokémon for Slowking’s Shellder, with no evolution relation to either Slowpoke or Shellder.
Some Pokémon have reappeared in later games, such as Mime Jr and Leafeon. Others look similar but not quite like they do in Gold and Silver – for example, Hoppip’s line had a longer tail, while Delibird used to have a Santa hat. Check out all the sprites below!

Other interesting differences
If you pay attention to the above image, some Pokémon are missing from the full versions of Gold and Silver. Lugia is one of those Pokémon, and crucially there is no other evidence of a second Pokémon to Ho-Oh in the data. This suggests that Ho-Oh (which incidentally was only a Flying type – no Fire typing!) did not initially have a Flying-type counterpart! This would also fit in with Lugia having little impact on the Ecruteak story, with Ho-Oh instead the key player with Suicune, Raikou and Entei.

Other items have been discovered, including evolutionary ones. One notable example is a Poison Stone, which was usable on Eevee to give… Umbreon. Pokédex entries about Umbreon do mention poison coming from its body – perhaps this is the basis for that fact! King’s Rock meanwhile was an evolution item which worked on Slowbro, not Slowpoke.
A mini-game was also included in the demo! A game of Pokémon-themed Picross was playable if you waited on the title screen for a while.  This is quite the Easter egg to have included. Pokémon Picross was later released on the Nintendo 3DS as a full free-to-play title, so the idea did stay within memory for The Pokémon Company.

The maps are drastically different. It appears that the whole of Japan was to be used as the basis, rather than one region of Japan. This lead to very different looking towns and cities, including one with dead trees and another filled with snow. There was little to no evidence of such places within unused maps in Gold and Silver‘s final versions, suggesting the project may have been very largely changed, and maybe even restarted during the two years between the beta and release. Another angle is that the developers downsized their ambitions when they realised that the Pokémon franchise was here to stay given it was selling better than hotcakes. Initially Gold and Silver were planned to be the last titles in the series.
The full map is given below; click to view the larger version. The square in the bottom right of the map touching the bottom of the image, incidentally, is Kanto. That’s right – even though this was a beta version, Kanto was reduced to a tiny space that made the final Gold and SIlver version appear absolutely massive. We have Iwata to thank for that.

What do you think about all this information? Are you curious to see more about other early Pokémon games as well?

Shit goddamn it where the *Censored* is the link to this article? You know what, suck it.

#324 Generations

Generations

-wrestling has more than one royal family-

• Members
  • 84,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

The second you pay is the second you lose

Nah...it's actually really easy not to spend any money on this.

My dex is about 50/150 already...and I've almost completed the main island. Not sure if there is actually more after the main area (I surmise that the dark island by itself is probably where Mewtwo and the like will be)...but that's where I stand. As soon as I can get my team strong enough to finish the last few bosses, I'll have free reign of the map. Then it will be as simple as grinding out the Pokedex. Also, I just read that stone and trade-evolution Pokemon only need to be leveled up to a certain point (36 for most). So, I should fill my dex even quicker with that in mind.

Just got a shiny in Quest also. A Magnemite. 

Edited by Generations, 05 June 2018 - 07:23 PM.

#325 Muur

Muur

Digiwaifu

• Members
  • 32,168 posts
  • Gamertag: Marcus BWFC
  • SEN (PS3): Muur1993
  • Steam ID: MarcusBWFC
  • Twitter: @MarcusRalphson

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

The main interesting thing about the leaked demo was how many got reused 10-15 years later etc. 

#326 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 84,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

The best part about that leak for me, is that the guys on the Drawfee youtube channel had just drawn some ridiculous Pokemon creations like a week earlier, and one of them looked exactly like the stupid Dodrio nest thing. :lol: They were talking all this shit about a Pokemon just being a stupid nest with a bunch of bird heads, and then the thing literally exists. Lmao.

Shameless plug for Drawfee, because they bring me pure joy:

https://youtu.be/UqZmuqvbwk8?t=12m40s

Edited by Generations, 05 June 2018 - 07:33 PM.

#327 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 84,810 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Finally made it to Mewtwo in Quest. He's actually not as hard as I expected. I haven't beat him yet...but I came super close three times. Biggest problem is just that he has one big attack that is more or less unavoidable, which can clear out the whole team if they're already weak. It's really just luck which way your team runs when you tell them to scatter, so I keep getting caught right before I beat him.

Update - I beat Mewtwo (and the main game) last night. You get the final cooking pot when you do this, and also unlock another new area (which presumably contains Mew (?) )...I'm not sure on that, as I haven't checked yet. But, it was a nice little game. I never spent a single penny on it, and finished the whole main quest. Now I just need to fill my dex.

Edited by Generations, 07 June 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#328 A-Bel

A-Bel

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 3,387 posts
  • Gamertag: DonutBelcher88
  • Twitter: TheAdamBelcher

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

Bred a shiny hp fire treecko :)

#329 Muur

Muur

Digiwaifu

• Members
  • 32,168 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:08 AM

Mew is exlusive to that Pokeball thing they're selling for Let's Go

The only way to get it.

So far, anyway. They'll clearly release it later for free but hey, poeple "wont know that" and will go spend a few hundred so they can get the little pink guy (cuz let's be fair, they're gonna sell out and people are gonna sell them on Ebay for hella profit)

But still, that's like the most expensive DLC ever. Well, maybe Paige that one time in WWE 15 or whatever was. 

Something else that's funny is that they wont let you fight Brock unless you have a Water or Grass Pokemon (weird they don't count Steel and Ground in that)

Edited by Muur, 13 June 2018 - 04:20 AM.

#330 Scripted

Scripted

Legend

• Members
  • 8,396 posts
  • Gamertag: I Conundrum I
  • SEN (PS3): ExtremeEnigma812

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Downloaded Pokémon Quest on my phone recently, and Im stuck at a point. Im battling the Fairy and the surrounding areas, and they all need 10,000 and some change, but Im only at 6,000, 7,000 with type advantage boost, so I keep getting my ass kicked. Do I just keep grinding expeditions to train, as well as cooking to get other Pokémon, or is here a better way?

#331 Muur

Muur

Digiwaifu

• Members
  • 32,168 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Downloaded Pokémon Quest on my phone recently, and Im stuck at a point. Im battling the Fairy and the surrounding areas, and they all need 10,000 and some change, but Im only at 6,000, 7,000 with type advantage boost, so I keep getting my ass kicked. Do I just keep grinding expeditions to train, as well as cooking to get other Pokémon, or is here a better way?

It's a phone game so you grind or pay. You've hit a pay wall and there's gonna be more as you go on. You're pretty much at the end of how far free players can get

#332 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 84,810 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

There were only one or two times when I got stuck in Pokemon Quest. You just need more powerful stones. Make sure that you're only keeping the best ones and recycling all the others. Keep replacing the old ones with more powerful ones. 

I got stuck on Gengar in the cave, and on Gyarados. Think that was about it for me. Never spent a single penny on the game, and currently have about 100/150 in the dex. So, this is not a "pay to play" game at all. Just think about how you can change your team around. Having at least two of the three with powerful offense is key, IMO. And also don't neglect to use the stones that affect the moves themselves. One of my best moves is vinewhip for Venusaur, with a stone that makes it strike 3 times instead of once. 

#333 Scripted

Scripted

Legend

• Members
  • 8,396 posts
  • Gamertag: I Conundrum I
  • SEN (PS3): ExtremeEnigma812

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

I keep swapping out stones and the move gem things as I get better ones, just seems like a real grind. My Charmeleon and Pidgeotto are almost ready to evolve, so hopefully thatll help when they do.

#334 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 84,810 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

I keep swapping out stones and the move gem things as I get better ones, just seems like a real grind. My Charmeleon and Pidgeotto are almost ready to evolve, so hopefully thatll help when they do.

It will.

Having fully evolved Pokes is a must.

And make sure you're actually using the scatter button (and using it properly). Using it at the wrong times is actually worse than not using it at all.

What the *Censored* is this Stakataka thing? How many other new Pokemon have they just randomly announced without me knowing?

Edited by Generations, 07 July 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#335 Muur

Muur

Digiwaifu

• Members
  • 32,168 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

What the *Censored* is this Stakataka thing? How many other new Pokemon have they just randomly announced without me knowing?

USUM added five new Ultra Beasts and Let's Go is adding one more

did you not do the post game of USUM? you fight the version exclusive to get to the Battle Tree

Edited by Muur, 07 July 2018 - 11:28 PM.

#336 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 84,810 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:06 AM

I didn't buy/play Ultra Sun/Moon at all...because I already played Moon, and Nintendo doesn't need my money a second time for the same game. 

#337 Muur

Muur

Digiwaifu

• Members
  • 32,168 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:23 AM

Wish I'd done the same lol

but they they did something they've never done before and outright added new Pokemon to the demaster. I say demaster because they *censored*ed up and made Sun worse

Edited by Muur, 08 July 2018 - 04:27 AM.

#338 Generations

Generations

• Members
  • 84,810 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

Nice unexpected update to Quest today. 500 free tickets just for playing. I had been saving up for the Mewtwo arch, and now I was able to grab that and the Meowth balloon. Good deal. And I still haven't payed a single penny for this game. Pokedex at 108/150. Premium decorations I own are the Pikachu Surfboard, Mewtwo arch, and Meowth balloon, which are some of the most expensive ones. Proof that it isn't pay to play. 

Now...I know the legendaries are going to be a pain in the ass to get. That's probably where paying would come in handy. But I don't intend to do that. I'm just gonna keep playing as I normally do...a little bit each day. The game is still fun to me after 35 hours for that exact reason...it's the game I play when I have a few minutes of free time...I'm not forcing myself to grind it...it just feels natural. 

Edited by Generations, 13 July 2018 - 05:15 PM.

#339 MR CONTRARY·

MR CONTRARY·

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,327 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:24 PM

so I decided I'm going to have a goal I'm starting at the bottom I'm going for the first place little Cup champion and my little Cup team is pretty badass right now

#340 M3J

M3J

Captain Fap

• Members
  • 52,269 posts
  • SEN (PS3): ask in PM
  • Twitter: ask in PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:26 AM

PokemonQuest is kinda fun.