The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*censored*ing goddamn 10000 soft resets

Have you considered buy one off Ebay for like £1?

No (wait, you can do that?), it's now a matter of muh pride.

They're 99% hacked but yeah you can buy shiny Pokemon on EBay cheap. Never bought one. You can also buy competitive Pokemon.

I'm close to becoming a rock type gym sub in the Pokémon league i'm a part of. My current team is

Probopass

Chesnaught

Donphan

Mega aerodactyl

Nihilego (shiny)

Mantine

I'm close to becoming a rock type gym sub in the Pokémon league i'm a part of. My current team is

Probopass

Chesnaught

Donphan

Mega aerodactyl

Nihilego (shiny)

Mantine

Two of those aren't Rock type though

Only 3 Pokémon on the team have to be rock type and one who isn't has to have a rock type move (Donphan has stealth rock). The rule is in place to give us a little room to build so we don't get counter teamed as easily.

So they're just spin offs, the Kanto remakes. Also a Pokemon game called Pokemon Quest that is also a spin off coming to phone+Switch as FTP. The real game stated will be out at the end of 2019 (gen 8)

The graphics actually looks worse than Gen 7 on 3Ds lol. Gotta catch Pokemon Go style

Also you can't actually fight the wild Pokemon, so I guess only EXP from trainer fights. Also, only gen 1 Pokemon and the Alolan forms

At least I don't have to buy a Switch for a year and a half lol

The anime is gonna be padded out with so much more filler for the next 18 months

Yeah, I'm liking Quest.

Played it for about an hour last night...then waited for some energy to restore and played it a bit more after that. It's pretty addictive. And I definitely don't see any reason to absolutely need to spend real money either. The quests seem consistently obtainable and have decent rewards. I feel like it might be a grind at times, but should still be perfectly playable as a 100% free game. It's basically going to be a nice go-to as a time killer when I don't know what else to play.

Also, I'm just pleasantly surprised that Nintendo actually dropped something completely out of the blue. It was kind of painful to hear that the main Pokemon Switch title won't be until late 2019. So, to then have them say "here's this thing that you can play right now for free" was pretty nice.

The Novemeber game looks nice too. "Let's Go"...or whatever it's called. Yeah, I'll get that for sure.

I think it's a positive that we aren't getting Gen 8 until 2019. Hopefully the delay until 2019 will give the developers time to make the game the beat it could possibly be

Weird that there is no wild pokemon battles so hopefully there will be plenty of trainers to battle or re-battle to level Pokemon. Looking forward to it and the one next year. Hopefully Let's Go has more depth to it that people are fearing.

Slowly grinding my way up in Quest. Team is now Arbok, Wartortle, Charmeleon.

Also, heavily considering getting into serious Pokemon card collecting.

I've been buying these stupid little 3 card packs at the Dollar Tree just to round out the random shit I purchase there. It originally started as "I have three things, and I have this 5 dollar bill, so I might as well grab one more thing to make it $4+ tax, so this 5 gets full use"...but then I started just buying 4 things and 5 packs of cards, 3 things and 6 packs of cards, etc. Lol. And now I'm wanting to buy a new binder, reorganize everything retro that I have, buy more proper packs online, etc.

Been having a blast on Pokemon Quest. It's a really solid F2P game, it's surprised me to be honest. I've put a couple of hours into the game so far; currently have Pikachu, Rattata, and Vulpix in my team, with Pidgey, Nidoran, Slowpoke, Seel, and Shellder chilling at the camp. At the moment, for me, it's just a case of grinding some of the earlier levels to increase the strength of my team so I can continue.

Team is now Charizard, Onix, Omastar. I recently swapped out Blastoise for the Omastar, just because the level is higher...but I might swap back. Think Blastoise had more versatile moves.

Also reached the point where I want to play a lot more than the energy restrictions allow...but I'm trying to stay true to not actually putting any money into this game.

Apparently a beta version of Pokemon Gold was leaked, with all sorts of revelations, with the most notable ones being:

• Misty and Giovanni are members of the Elite Four.
  • The starters, except for Chikorita, are very different. And even then, Chikorita evolves in a Pokémon that's very different to Bayleef, but still goes back to Meganium at the end.
  • The entire region of Kanto was condensed into a singular town, the map was not a region, but an entire country, vastly different to what ended up as Johto.
  • Red is the Gym Leader of Kanto.
  • Several prototypes of Pokémon of which the concepts were used in Pokémons of later gens, including an electric tiger that may or may not be Gorochu. Or Zeraora. Or Luxray. Pokémon has a lot of electric tigers.
  • There's also a Water/Fire-type Pokémon, a type combination of which there currently exists only one: Volcanion.
  • Delibird has a Santa-hat. Octillery has a helmet.
  • Leafeon, which wasn't introduced until Gen IV, was supposed to be in Gen II.
  • Eevee evolves into Umbreon with a Poison Stone. Also, Poison Stones were a thing.
  • Pinsir has an evolution, called Pluksir and Farfetch'd has one too. Even Ditto has an evolution.
  • Weepinbell has an alternative final evolution besides Victreebel. It looks like a dung.
  • So much more Baby Pokémon, lots got cut.
  • Slowking's shell can actually be a seperate Pokémon, that doesn't fall in the evolutionary lines of either Slowpoke nor Shellder.

Pokémon Gold and Silver demo emerges after 20 years

Prototype designs galore including alternate forms and pre-evolutions, a super small Kanto with a drastically different map, and even a Picross minigame!.

A beta ROM of the second generation games Pokémon Gold and Silver has surfaced on the internet, revealing a wealth of brand new information. A team from website The Cutting Room Floor, dedicated to unearthing and researching unused and cut content from video games, has since revealed their findings thus far in a public Google Document. Here we provide a summary of the tastier discoveries, and why this is such a big deal in the first place.

Where was the Gold and Silver beta?

Back in 1997, Nintendo featured upcoming products at the Nintendo Spaceworld trade show. At this particular event was the first playable version of anticipated sequel titles, Pokémon Gold and Silver, some two years before they were released in Japan.

The demonstration isn’t unusual in itself – other Pokémon titles have had playable demos at conferences, including Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. However, two years is a long time in game development, so the version playable there was vastly different to the final product. Completely different Pokémon were present, for instance, and areas also evolved a lot since. There was even a skateboard item! But it was clear there was a lot more to be found than what remained in the final version of the files, hidden or otherwise.
Furthermore, the demo was never seen beyond such shows, and all that was contained within the prototype game was gone for good (or so it seemed). All fans had to go on were limited accounts of the event and expert detective work – for more information, check out this excellent write-up on GlitterBerri‘s website.

Why has it reappeared now?

It is not yet sure how people have gotten their hands on the demo. One claim is that one of these playable demos had found itself in the hands of an unknown collector. Reportedly, they recently passed away, and the demo among other items made their way to a second hand store. Luckily, someone there realised what it was, and got in touch with dataminers who could divulge the secrets.
The ROM file has been leaked; apparently by someone outside of the datamining crew for The Cutting Room Floor (TCRF). For obvious legal reasons we shall not be linking the dumped ROM file; but we can highlight some of the interesting aspects since revealed by TCRF staff. For the full set of information, check the website and current Google document.

Prototype Pokémon

There were completely different designs of Pokémon within the beta – for example, the Fire and Water Starters. The Fire one is completely unique, while the Water prototype Starter might have been an earlier version of the Popplio line. Chikorita exists however in the same form as the official version, as does Meganium. Bayleef however… may have had a reason behind its redesign.

There’s a wealth of pre-evolutions, for creatures like Vulpix, Growlithe, Ponyta, and even Grimer. Ditto has both a pre-evolution and an evolution – maybe an early basis for the item Metal Powder? Pinsir also has an evolution that was never seen again, although it did receive a Mega Evolution in generation six. Porygon2’s original form looked a lot like a lion mascot for a donuts franchise, Mister Donuts, but at least it stayed in the game in some form. Farfetch’d is less lucky, having an evolution in the beta but nothing like it in finished games since. Also notable was a Pokémon for Slowking’s Shellder, with no evolution relation to either Slowpoke or Shellder.
Some Pokémon have reappeared in later games, such as Mime Jr and Leafeon. Others look similar but not quite like they do in Gold and Silver – for example, Hoppip’s line had a longer tail, while Delibird used to have a Santa hat. Check out all the sprites below!

Other interesting differences
If you pay attention to the above image, some Pokémon are missing from the full versions of Gold and Silver. Lugia is one of those Pokémon, and crucially there is no other evidence of a second Pokémon to Ho-Oh in the data. This suggests that Ho-Oh (which incidentally was only a Flying type – no Fire typing!) did not initially have a Flying-type counterpart! This would also fit in with Lugia having little impact on the Ecruteak story, with Ho-Oh instead the key player with Suicune, Raikou and Entei.

Other items have been discovered, including evolutionary ones. One notable example is a Poison Stone, which was usable on Eevee to give… Umbreon. Pokédex entries about Umbreon do mention poison coming from its body – perhaps this is the basis for that fact! King’s Rock meanwhile was an evolution item which worked on Slowbro, not Slowpoke.
A mini-game was also included in the demo! A game of Pokémon-themed Picross was playable if you waited on the title screen for a while. This is quite the Easter egg to have included. Pokémon Picross was later released on the Nintendo 3DS as a full free-to-play title, so the idea did stay within memory for The Pokémon Company.

The maps are drastically different. It appears that the whole of Japan was to be used as the basis, rather than one region of Japan. This lead to very different looking towns and cities, including one with dead trees and another filled with snow. There was little to no evidence of such places within unused maps in Gold and Silver‘s final versions, suggesting the project may have been very largely changed, and maybe even restarted during the two years between the beta and release. Another angle is that the developers downsized their ambitions when they realised that the Pokémon franchise was here to stay given it was selling better than hotcakes. Initially Gold and Silver were planned to be the last titles in the series.
The full map is given below; click to view the larger version. The square in the bottom right of the map touching the bottom of the image, incidentally, is Kanto. That’s right – even though this was a beta version, Kanto was reduced to a tiny space that made the final Gold and SIlver version appear absolutely massive. We have Iwata to thank for that.

What do you think about all this information? Are you curious to see more about other early Pokémon games as well?

Shit goddamn it where the *Censored* is the link to this article? You know what, suck it.

The second you pay is the second you lose

Nah...it's actually really easy not to spend any money on this.

My dex is about 50/150 already...and I've almost completed the main island. Not sure if there is actually more after the main area (I surmise that the dark island by itself is probably where Mewtwo and the like will be)...but that's where I stand. As soon as I can get my team strong enough to finish the last few bosses, I'll have free reign of the map. Then it will be as simple as grinding out the Pokedex. Also, I just read that stone and trade-evolution Pokemon only need to be leveled up to a certain point (36 for most). So, I should fill my dex even quicker with that in mind.

Just got a shiny in Quest also. A Magnemite.

Archived