The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up a copy of Ultra Moon a while back and I gotta say, i'm really enjoying it.

Did you play the original?

I picked up a copy of Ultra Moon a while back and I gotta say, i'm really enjoying it.

No, Moon and Sun came out while I was taking a break from the series.

No, Moon and Sun came out while I was taking a break from the series.

Ah. You'll be fine with it then. The original is better, as they somehow *censored*ed up and changed the story to the level it was worse. The main bad guy of the original is now a good guy in the remake... for some reason.

If you have the option, I'd switch Ultra for the original.

• 1 month later...

I received Pokemon blue for my 7th birthday. I am now almost 26. In the 19 years I've been playing Pokemon, I have FINALLY came across my first ever shiny!! Glalie. What a babe.

What game?

My shinies are - Exeggcute (Leaf Green, around 2004), Dugtrio (Dinamond, around 2007) and Magnezone (Sun, 2016)

I also got two in the wormholes on Ultra Sun (in the three times I did the wormholes) but they have a 33% chance to shit out a shiny, so I don't count them

I find shinies overrated and would support removing them but it is pretty fun to actually find one without resetting a million times to find one.

It gets kind of tiresome...both of you guys always being the two people who prefer that video games never advance or push the envelope in any way.

If I counted the number of times that either one of you naysayed some shit just for the sake of claiming it was "not necessary" or "too hard", or "not worth it"...I'd be able to fill a *censored*ing book.

But what do a million pallette swaps bring? If you want looking cool being able to put hats etc on them would be better

Sorry, didn't realize you were programming the Pokemon games.

Wouldn't want to trouble you...

It gets kind of tiresome...both of you guys always being the two people who prefer that video games never advance or push the envelope in any way.

If I counted the number of times that either one of you naysayed some shit just for the sake of claiming it was "not necessary" or "too hard", or "not worth it"...I'd be able to fill a *censored*ing book.

Yes. How dare I spend more than 5 seconds thinking about how something would actually work or make sense in a game. Please stop. Just because I shoot down all your bad ideas (I've actually given reasons as to why I think OW Pokemon wouldn't work, while you just say "but it'd be so cool yo!"), doesn't mean I don't want change. I want good change; change that actually makes some damn sense.And while I not be making these games, I've taken game design classes, but even without that, it really just takes actually thinking about how something something could even be implemented.

Alright then...I rest my case.

You want the franchise to be one specific way, and you naysay anything that goes against that.

There is absolutely no reason why an "open world" Pokemon game (just using that example since you pointlessly brought it up) wouldn't work. In fact, all of the Pokemon games thus far have been open world. You can walk around the map exactly as you wish. That's what "open world" is. Coming and going...no restrictions to visit previous points on the map. That's open world.

You obviously mean to say that a Pokemon sandbox game wouldn't work. And even that is a load of nonsense...because, it totally would. It just isn't something that you want. And I'm going to hazard a guess and assume that you probably would have said that an open world Zelda game wouldn't work either (even though it clearly has with BotW).

So, yeah...again, you and Muur like what you like...and you both love to talk down on things that don't coincide with your personal direction for the franchise. That's what I constantly see from both of you, and I make no apologies for saying as much.

Would randomizing patterns and colors for Pokemon be more work than your standard Pokemon game as things are currently set? Absolutely. But game development is meant to be a challenge. You aren't supposed to reach a point where you say "this is how Pokemon is" and then simply stop innovating.

Alright then...I rest my case.

You want the franchise to be one specific way, and you naysay anything that goes against that.

Yeah no, though I will admit to being sick of open world games.

There is absolutely no reason why an "open world" Pokemon game (just using that example since you pointlessly brought it up) wouldn't work. In fact, all of the Pokemon games thus far have been open world. You can walk around the map exactly as you wish. That's what "open world" is. Coming and going...no restrictions to visit previous points on the map. That's open world.

Well if we're going with that definition, then fair enough I guess.

You obviously mean to say that a Pokemon sandbox game wouldn't work. And even that is a load of nonsense...because, it totally would. It just isn't something that you want. And I'm going to hazard a guess and assume that you probably would have said that an open world Zelda game wouldn't work either (even though it clearly has with BotW).

Except I actually gave reasons for my stance. Where's yours? And as for BotW, no I had no problem with an open world Zelda. If anything, I was more open to it before BotW came out and showed me why I don't want it.

So, yeah...again, you and Muur like what you like...and you both love to talk down on things that don't coincide with your personal direction for the franchise. That's what I constantly see from both of you, and I make no apologies for saying as much.

Again, no. You posted an idea. I posted that I was against said idea and why I thought it wouldn't work.

Would randomizing patterns and colors for Pokemon be more work than your standard Pokemon game as things are currently set? Absolutely. But game development is meant to be a challenge. You aren't supposed to reach a point where you say "this is how Pokemon is" and then simply stop innovating.

"innovation" has nothing to do with it. It's about it just being straight up unfeasible. Game development also isn't just throwing every single thing you can possibly think of into a game just because.

Just to use an example for another series, someone on some garbage tier gaming site posted a list of things to change about the Persona series. To keep it short, one of those things was something along the lines of "alternate endings/branching story paths for every stage for every confidant and scenario with everyone having multiple varying interactions with everyone else." Sounds nice right? Except Persona 5 as is is already a 100+ hour game and needed to have stuff cut out because it was too long. It also got delayed by 3 years. What that thing was asking essentially asking for multiple "x length" stories in one in a game that's already too damn long. That's not too hard, it's downright impossible.

Lol that video, the P5 subreddit had a lot of fun with that one

The "translation errors" and shit didn't even make sense, the were on purpose. The 17 year old teens aren't gonna text each other with perfect text and shit but apparently they should cuz "muh english"

As for Pokemon, there's just no point to having 500 million palette swaps. As for open world, being able to revisit old areas doesn't count lol, open is being able to visit the entire map at once

"Open world, or open-world, is a term for a video game in which a player can roam a virtual world and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a game with more linear gameplay"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

That's not what Pokemon is, you have to go in order and such, If you could do the gyms in any order... then fair enough but everyone has to start with Brock and end with Giovanni

Lol that video, the P5 subreddit had a lot of fun with that one

The "translation errors" and shit didn't even make sense, the were on purpose. The 17 year old teens aren't gonna text each other with perfect text and shit but apparently they should cuz "muh english"

As for Pokemon, there's just no point to having 500 million palette swaps. As for open world, being able to revisit old areas doesn't count lol, open is being able to visit the entire map at once

"Open world, or open-world, is a term for a video game in which a player can roam a virtual world and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a game with more linear gameplay"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

That's not what Pokemon is, you have to go in order and such, If you could do the gyms in any order... then fair enough but everyone has to start with Brock and end with Giovanni

You are taking open world way too literally. By your logic GTA and Minecraft arent open world, because you still need to unlock parts of the map in those two. Plus in GTA the missions are layed out in a specific order too. And dont give me crap about how they arent RPGs, because genre doesnt matter. Pokemon is an open world game.

Serebii have posted that they've come across leaks of a Switch game called "Let's Go Pikachu" which is a sequel to Yellow set in Kanto, Pokemon follows you and Red and Blue are supporting characters and it'll be out at the end of 2018 and "you catch Pokemon, Pokemon GO style". Starter is Pikachu or Eevee "depending on which game you get" (So I guess the other will be "Let's Go Eevee")

I don't pay attention to shit like this usually but Serebii are almost always right with shit like this

I also have no interest in picking up a Switch for a remake

I'll pick it up in a few years when I actally have a Switch

Then again a few pictures leaked and it's clearly just using 3DS graphics. This screams "shut up Nintendo, here's a Pokemon game you *censored*s" whilst they release gen 8 later.

I'm hearing rumors of the Pokemon being visible on routes similar to what you see on PoGo. I think that's awesome if true. Would be cool to see them just doing their thing in the environment. It'll make the world seem more alive. Even give them character traits that makes them more aggressive if they see you or just sit there waiting for you to interact with them.

Also want to comment on a couple of previous posts. I actually like the idea Gen has on the palette swaps or different markings. I wouldn't make it priority but to have a pikachu that is yellow with a black stripe on it's tail and one that is a slightly darker shade of yellow with no black stripe on his tail would be a good example. It may not be needed but still makes things unique. Maybe make them a little more uncommon to get or better yet, don't. That way everyone has a unique Pokemon that they prefer. I'd like to see more and different character traits play out with each Pokemon too.

Also I like the idea of going back to Kanto and not rushing a Gen 8. This will be cool for multiple reasons, one being updated nostalgia will sell. I'd personally like to see an attempt at a multi year game. Add new regions and pokemon every year. Maybe the first 3 or 4 then release gen 8. Then go back and update gen 5-7 and add those regions. Probably won't ever happen but it would be better than wanting the same style game over and over.

Lastly. I've seen those leaked photos and they are so damn low quality but not only that. We don't know what stage that was even in production wise. No way they're going to be 3ds graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived