The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate April 1st. I'm also sick of Kanto. If by some incredibly off chance the next Pokemon game is actually another Kanto remake, it'll be the first main series Pokemon game I skip.

So a Pokemon RBY-remake got announced as a joke, huh?

For me, Kanto kind of has little to offer and didn't age well compared to what we have now.

I'm ready for that DPP-remake. Imagine Distortion World. On the Switch.

I also might think that we might get a story in a previous region that is still in the present timeline. Red and Blue are adults now. Prof. Oak died of old age.

Yeah a Kanto sequel COULD be good but not as a main game, the region is too small. Even with Johto added, it's too small. They had to add random Islands last time and still couldn't fit everything in. So *Censored* Kanto

Really don't see any logic in any "region is too small" statements.

They can take the region and simply make it larger. It doesn't automatically need to be restricted to what the original games set for it.

They can make all of the routes longer, change the layouts of the towns.

I mean...I'm not in favor of just rehashing Kanto again...but the "too small" argument is one that doesn't mean anything. Scale the entire map up, and it hardly matters. For perspective, just think about the original episodes of the anime...how much different those towns and cities felt than the in-game versions. The classic Kanto map only feels restricted because of what the developers were working with. If you give that map the "GTA 5 treatment" for example, it would hardly matter. It would be completely different. You could make every town ten times bigger with more stuff to do. You could make the routes more expansive and wild...it really doesn't need to be limited for any reason.

GTA 5 was a different universe to GTA 3, the events and character's don't exist in GTA 5

Pokemon however, would not have that be the case. If you triple Kanto, then that will hurt people's nostalgia and shit. Best way to deal with it is to just have Gen 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the E store and let people have at it

Kanto is small and the storylines is... non existent. People like it cuz it was first. It's the worst region.

And still, none of that means anything.

Some serious grasping at straws there. Hurt people's nostalgia?

Just because GTA used an alternate history in addition to making an alternate map, does not mean that Pokemon needs to do the same thing. Also, Pokemon has a loose history to begin with. The characters in the games are your own characters and the only constants across the board are the gym leaders and other notable famous people. Keep those all the same, and nothing really changes. It's not like your character from Red is the same character in Gold, and then again in Ruby, etc. The main is just a generic character. The other characters are important in the case of people like your neighbors, the professors, the leaders, etc...but that's it. And none of them would need to go anywhere for the map to be expanded.

Basically, you could take a town like Cerulean and have water everywhere, reinvent the whole place as a water city, add more buildings, more attractions, etc. Misty would still be the leader. It wouldn't disrupt nostalgia or history. Those towns are already more elaborate in the anime. Nobody played the original games and then complained that the show damaged their perception of the towns back then...so why would that matter now? It would just be filling in parts of the map that would logically exist.

There's a difference between "historical accuracy", and limitation based on hardware. A remake of that region would allow for full utilization of more powerful hardware...and a more realistic representation of the map.

And again...if it's a sequel, then you're talking about a different time period. It's not meant to be a remake anyway. Think about how much a real town changes in 20 or 30 years. Pokemon R/B/G came out in 1996. If you think it would somehow be blasphemous to suggest that those towns have changed drastically over the course of 22 years, you need to take a look around at the real world.

I mean, "youre not the same kid every time" is correct but the timeline of the games still happens. It's just 8 different kids over the space of 10 in game years.

RBYFRLG/RSEORAS

3 years

GSCHGSS/DPPT

3 year

BW

2 year

BW2/XY

2 Year

SM/USUM

Also, anime =/= games

That's the current timeline. SM/USM has Lille/Gladian leave for Kanto. I don't think 10 years is enough time for 10 new Cities to suddenly appear with gen 7 levels of buildings and shit, that's not realistic. Though could skip 11 years to make it 22 but they wont.

That's for q a sequel.

For a "let's go back to the start of the timeline", well they can't whilst making the region better because it doesn't make sense in kayfabe. Kanto and Johto are seen as the "simple laid back" regions and inspire other cities in other regions. Kanto suddenly being all high tech and shit doesn't make sense in storyline. They're not gonna throw away 22 years of lore just to be like "*Censored* it"

It's really not a hard concept, though. What you're arguing makes no sense.

Here...just look at this skyline comparison of Shanghai over the years:

okVt1WZ.jpg

It doesn't take long for things to completely change. You have a few constants...but that is effectively an entirely new city in just a few short years. So...again, how does recreating a video game world somehow bastardize nostalgia when it happens exactly the same way in the real world? Every town in Kanto would be completely different by now. It's not even a point of contention...it's just factually true.

And, yeah...Johto is meant to represent Kyoto, basically...so that is a very old-timey world that shouldn't be changed. But, Kanto was never like that. Kanto has a relatively average mix of modern city and quaint countryside...both of which are susceptible to changing for one reason or another. Hell...there were even direct nods to expansion happening in that world. There was stuff like the construction project in Vermillion...

And what about 1987 to 1997? that's the timeline we're talking here. They'd have to do a massive timeskip they've never done before to do 1987-2013

For all intensiveness purposes, Pokemon currently takes place in 2017, as Red's shirt indicates he was born in 1996 and he's 21 in SM. So Red/Blue took place in 2007. Not very high tech that, for 2007 Kanto/Hoenn. 10 years later we're in 2017 for SM. If they want the level of 2013 Shanghai they would have to skip to 2033, in which Red is now 36. I suppose THAT would be a good time for Kanto to have improved to that level but they aint gonna skip 16 years when so far, the 7 gens cover 10 years.

26 years =/= 10 years.

Plus let's be fair, they aint gonna do a Kanto sequel anyway, they'll just go back to Giovanni's Team Rocket being idiots who are shit at their jobs

In storyline, it's been only 7 years in game since we've seen Kanto. Is 7 years enough time, in the 2017 timeline, for Kanto to improve to that level? (because it returned in gen 2, which would be set in 2010)

Gen 1/3 - 2007

Gen 2/4 - 2010

Gen 5 - 2013

Gen 5/6 - 2015

Gen 7 - 2017

Based on Red's being 21 with his shirt saying 1997. Or it took place in 1997 I suppose

But then that's

Gen 1/3 - 1996

Gen 2/4 - 1999

Gen 5 - 2002

Gen 5/6 - 2004

Gen 7 - 2006

Still the same amount of years... except this one is less high tech cuz 1996-2006 for the not seen Kanto years

Oh mai gurd new pokemanz revealed

Wait we all knew 7 months ago

Nintendo really need to stop on disc DLC and make it off disc to actually surprise us. It's been 22 years and they haven't learned

Archived