The Case of Michelle Carter Lets Debate

Mango kid

Like I said...it seems more like a mental health situation than a criminal one. Sounds like both people were unhealthy in the relationship department, and the self esteem department. She's *censored*ed up for convincing the guy to kill himself...but it sounds like your average tale of mentally distraught teens being stupid and dramatic. Stick her in an institution and call it a day. Putting her in prison does nothing.

Holy Shit!! We agree on something for a change.

I will add that this girl is obviously polar opposite of this guy. And my asshole is about to come out so Gen won't probably agree with this lol, but this dude was a selfish dumb SOB. I have no tolerance or patience for that kind of nonsense. I read the text messages they released. Even she told him to get help at first. I can never understand someone like that and their mental state. Life can suck but if you can't handle it, it's no one else's problem.

Sure it's sad but these things happen. Some are severe mental issues and some are just dramatic choices people make because they can't deal. I think this was the latter. She played a minor role but it was HIS decision. To place this much on her is ridiculous. She's seems like a psycho and what she did was the wrong thing to do so she isn't innocent entirely but her being guilty is kind of stupid. She's stupid like he was but she's no criminal. She a nutcase. To think she's facing up to 20 years for this. To be honest I have far less sympathy for him.

To be honest I do think there might be a need for a law, for something like this. When she first was texting yeah she was trying to do the right thing, but changed her mind, for me it's not just the texts it's the conversations she had with her friends. I'm fine with her being found guilty because I don't think she'll be given the full 20 yrs.

• 1 month later...

Each day I realize more and more that you didn't fall from the branch of intelligence, Bdon. Do you understand that the man was in a deeply disturbed mental state and probably had little to none actual control over his actions?

You just can't start without some bullshit insult can you? Lol. Hold on a second while I try to find a single *censored* to give about what you think of me.

He had plenty of control. He even had second thoughts. It was on him. Don't make excuses for him. And you damn sure shouldn't place all the blame on her. Give her a padded room but what would a boat load of prison time do for her exactly? He was emotionally screwed up and he was an idiot for allowing another screwed up person talk him into it. I have no sympathy. Don't confuse my lack of sympathy with intelligence. I understand perfectly fine. You just don't like that someone isn't treating that boy like a victim. Piss off with your shit.

She deserves a longer sentence. While he may have had a choice, he still wasn't in the right state of mind, and she kept telling him to kill himself. Even when he backed out, she egged him into going ahead with the plan. Pretty messed up.

She deserves a longer sentence. While he may have had a choice, he still wasn't in the right state of mind, and she kept telling him to kill himself. Even when he backed out, she egged him into going ahead with the plan. Pretty messed up.

Oh no doubt it was messed up. I just find it unlikely she was in her right mind or was just taking advantage of him. I think she's just as mentally ill but in a different way. But he still was so pathetic and screwed up and with that he refused to get out of his own way. He let her talk him into it. He let her take charge. I still think a padded room would do her better though. He was weak and messed up. Like I said, not much sympathy for that.

Oh no doubt it was messed up. I just find it unlikely she was in her right mind or was just taking advantage of him. I think she's just as mentally ill but in a different way. But he still was so pathetic and screwed up and with that he refused to get out of his own way. He let her talk him into it. He let her take charge. I still think a padded room would do her better though. He was weak and messed up. Like I said, not much sympathy for that.

I'm talking about the guy, Conrad Roy. He clearly wasn't in the right state of mind, and he was clearly influenced by someone he trusted immensely. This whole "boo to victims" thing you have going on is unhealthy, at least in this situation. Sure, Conrad made the choice to kill himself, but that was after his supposed girlfriend kept telling him to continue with it when he didn't want to.

He wasn't mentally healthy. Do you have any experience with mental illness or mental health in general? Highly doubt it.

I had problems with depression in my teens, luckily I am more or less free of that now but you definitely aren't thinking clearly when you go through it. Your own mind goes out of its way as rationalizing any and everything as you being horrible and not worth it.

I'm talking about the guy, Conrad Roy. He clearly wasn't in the right state of mind, and he was clearly influenced by someone he trusted immensely. This whole "boo to victims" thing you have going on is unhealthy, at least in this situation. Sure, Conrad made the choice to kill himself, but that was after his supposed girlfriend kept telling him to continue with it when he didn't want to.

He wasn't mentally healthy. Do you have any experience with mental illness or mental health in general? Highly doubt it.

Lol. I know who you were talking about and I agree he was weak and mentally unstable. But to be honest. He was pretty much at a state where a 4th grader could've probably pushed him to it. I think she did a shitty thing and I think she's pretty damaged herself but I don't think she's a criminal. He wasn't getting the proper help and without her it's very probable he still would've done it eventually. It still is his choice.

I will say this. I believe him getting out of the vehicle takes even more off of her. At that point of realizing "maybe I don't want to die" he was not only scared but aware of what he was doing and should've chosen to not listen to her and seek real help. His awareness makes me less sympathetic. Him listening to another crazy person was unfortunate but dumb. Her demanding him back in the car through a phone is ridiculous and him doing it is on him.

If anything, you could argue that she was just as screwed up mentally. So with that said at most, you could argue that since he wasn't capable of thinking because of his illness then she wasn't either. She very well could be a psychopath. She needs help then herself.

Just my opinion though. Don't really expect people to agree. I just don't see anything criminal here. It's just tragic and dumb on both sides.

I highly doubt a 4th grader could push him into killing himself or had any kind of influence that a girlfriend would have. Not to mention, he actually changed his mind until his girlfriend told him to go back and do it. Again, mental illnesses affect the brain and how a person thinks. The fact that Michelle actually encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself shouldn't be overlooked and should make her guilty, especially when he didn't want to go through with it.

I highly doubt a 4th grader could push him into killing himself or had any kind of influence that a girlfriend would have. Not to mention, he actually changed his mind until his girlfriend told him to go back and do it. Again, mental illnesses affect the brain and how a person thinks. The fact that Michelle actually encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself shouldn't be overlooked and should make her guilty, especially when he didn't want to go through with it.

As I said. If he didn't want to go through with it, he wouldn't have. She didn't force him. Encouraging is another thing. Words can be powerful sure, but I feel like there are more excuses being made for him and it's all being put on her.

Sorry, I just can't agree. She may have had a moral responsibility to help him and she made the wrong decision because she's not entirely "all there" herself. But to call her a criminal is too much. I think we have just as much of a moral responsibility here to tread a line carefully when we are talking about words compared to physical actions. I feel like those people that are neglecting his responsibility to make decisions for himself and be held accountable for his actions no matter what he was told are just as dangerous. What's next? Being charged for saying something mean on the internet? Telling your buddy to kys in a sarcastic way will be a chargeable offense? Where will everyone draw the line? Because this was a little more cut and dry and there is still heavy opposition. So what will happen down the road?

You know the boundaries will continue to be pushed with each case. Too many people want to have a say so in other people's lives and punish people for doing something they don't agree with. Too many think that's perfectly reasonable. I don't. It's intrusive and dangerous. It's not my duty to save everyone or police everyone. He tried to kill himself before. Why wasn't his parents there for him? Where were they? Or any other friends or family? Why wasn't he on watch? Why was he left to his own devices. Just too many questions and all they want to do is make an example out of a crazy girl.

I was sure you were ignorant Bdon, but now I'm convinced you are also a freaking asshole. But yeah, that won't phase, you are a big tough guy. Good luck with life.

Have no idea why I am going in on this, but reading some of these thing is. well I wouldn't say surprising ... but...

Let's put it in this way... Why the hell does someone like you Bdon think their opinion matters? You have the balls to call that guy a pussy yet you spout so much shit on this thread over and over...for what? So you can act all big and tough? Piss off dude, for real. Who gives a shit what you think on why that poor dude did what he did? And for the record... I used to think simillar things years ago, then I grew up. I still think suicide is a selfish thing to do, especially if you have kids or close people around you... and knowing some people who did it, and left a person that was dear to me...I couldn't understand it, untill I actually went through things in life. And hell, probably I still am, and always will.

And obviously you have a right to state your opinion on what kind of senetnce, if any the girl should get, especially on a public internet forum, but to piss on a dead young person only shows your ignorance, lack of emotional intelligence and a bunch of insecurities.

And before you say anything, with this, I'm being pretty irrational and insulting, so think of what you will about it. But as M3J said... that kind of behaviour is simply unhealthy. I also wouldn't even say a thing if it was just one post o something like that... But sometimes if you really wanna show us how strong and smart you are, the best way to do it is by not writting bs at the right time.

Hopefully the girl get's the help she needs in whatever way, I wouldn't say prison time is right for her, but a "padded room" doesn't sound right neither.

Peace.

You really have a reading comprehension problem, don't you wally? All your points come from the same bullshit argument.

And yes she had no legal responsibility to help him out of suicide, but that isn't te situation at all, she incited mentally disturbed man that was already coming out of killing himself to actually do it.

It's one thing see a man drowning and not wanting to help, it's another to see the man coming to shore finally and then kicking him in the face right back in.

I was sure you were ignorant Bdon, but now I'm convinced you are also a freaking asshole. But yeah, that won't phase, you are a big tough guy. Good luck with life.

Have no idea why I am going in on this, but reading some of these thing is. well I wouldn't say surprising ... but...

Let's put it in this way... Why the hell does someone like you Bdon think their opinion matters? You have the balls to call that guy a pussy yet you spout so much shit on this thread over and over...for what? So you can act all big and tough? Piss off dude, for real. Who gives a shit what you think on why that poor dude did what he did? And for the record... I used to think simillar things years ago, then I grew up. I still think suicide is a selfish thing to do, especially if you have kids or close people around you... and knowing some people who did it, and left a person that was dear to me...I couldn't understand it, untill I actually went through things in life. And hell, probably I still am, and always will.

And obviously you have a right to state your opinion on what kind of senetnce, if any the girl should get, especially on a public internet forum, but to piss on a dead young person only shows your ignorance, lack of emotional intelligence and a bunch of insecurities.

And before you say anything, with this, I'm being pretty irrational and insulting, so think of what you will about it. But as M3J said... that kind of behaviour is simply unhealthy. I also wouldn't even say a thing if it was just one post o something like that... But sometimes if you really wanna show us how strong and smart you are, the best way to do it is by not writting bs at the right time.

Hopefully the girl get's the help she needs in whatever way, I wouldn't say prison time is right for her, but a "padded room" doesn't sound right neither.

Peace.

That was definitely quite a shit post but I'll give you more credit than El Imperio and his simpleton trash posts. I have a different opinion than you. Get over yourself. I'm not acting tough, lol. This isn't about insecurities or lack of emotional anything. This isn't even about me. This is a forum so I can give my opinion just like you. And my opinion doesn't matter to most on here I'm sure, just as theirs and yours really don't either. Still we are here saying our piece, right?

I am perfectly capable of feeling emotional about things. I just don't have sympathy for teenage drama bullshit. It was a tragedy that involved two seemingly crazy individuals. People just want to find a villain in this and that's what they are doing to this girl. She doesn't have a strong moral compass but she's not a criminal. Maybe she needs an evaluation but she's not a murderer. They are taking accountability out of the hands of this boy because he's dead. Help or not he made that choice. He is responsible for his own decisions. He stepped out of the car. He was dumb to listen to her in the first place let alone get back in after he already got out. And she was dumb for trying to help him do what she thought was best for him when it wasn't. He was aware of his depression and what he was doing. He even suggested to her at one point they commit suicide together. But to say "texts are like handing someone a loaded gun" is preposterous. I've seen the interviews. Words are words. If someone does something with them its on them. When I said the word shit at age 10 in front of my mom she didn't blame herself. She didn't blame the person who invented the word. She whooped my ass cause I knew better and still said it. He knew better and still made that choice. It doesn't really matter what she said to him. At the most her punishment should be a psych evaluation and some therapy or something. It's unfortunate that this happened but it was up to him. Her urging him to get back in was messed up but it was only him that could make that call. He was already out.

And everybody goes through shit. I've had some lows but never even contemplated suicide or had related thoughts. Most people grow up and realize that their problems as kids and teens are usually dumb and petty. Some just aren't able to work themselves out of it because they are not taught how to cope. They often let it take control and don't know how to deal. That comes from home life and how they were raised. If they were never taught how to deal with pain and failure then it's that much harder to get through it when they are older. Some kids aren't taught how to lose or that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Most kids are taught now that they can do anything but don't understand they have to work to make it happen. If you look at look at 95% of the mental illness symptoms, It describes what all humans go through daily and some even several times throughout their lives and most are mild. To be selfish enough to take the easy way out or even let someone affect you that much is intolerable. If it was indeed severe enough to where he couldn't actually "think" for himself, which I doubt, then he should've been getting better help and a lot more people need to be thinking about what more they could've done and still could do for others than blame another sick girl for her poor judgement. Maybe like get her help instead of trying to thrust her into the prison system that would just make her worse.

Ignorance has nothing to do with it. Call me an asshole all you want but I'm fully aware of the courts ruling and that the law is what it is. I understand what was presented in the case just fine. None of us will truly know what all happened or what they were going through. This is subjective opinions on the matter. On the case, on mental health, and on suicide. We all have them. Some are just different. My lack of sympathy makes me an asshole to some (although there are many who would agree with me too) but far from ignorant. It was still his own life that he took. I don't have much tolerance for suicide.

You really have a reading comprehension problem, don't you wally? All your points come from the same bullshit argument.

And yes she had no legal responsibility to help him out of suicide, but that isn't te situation at all, she incited mentally disturbed man that was already coming out of killing himself to actually do it.

It's one thing see a man drowning and not wanting to help, it's another to see the man coming to shore finally and then kicking him in the face right back in.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Still doesn't mean she's criminal. He still listened to her. Still his choice to do so.

How's that for the same argument? lol. Also M3J repeated himself several times too so don't know why you're just calling me out. Then again I think I might have a hunch.

Peace.

That was definitely quite a shit post but I'll give you more credit than El Imperio and his simpleton trash posts. I have a different opinion than you. Get over yourself. I'm not acting tough, lol. This isn't about insecurities or lack of emotional anything. This isn't even about me. This is a forum so I can give my opinion just like you. And my opinion doesn't matter to most on here I'm sure, just as theirs and yours really don't either. Still we are here saying our piece, right?

I am perfectly capable of feeling emotional about things. I just don't have sympathy for teenage drama bullshit. It was a tragedy that involved two seemingly crazy individuals. People just want to find a villain in this and that's what they are doing to this girl. She doesn't have a strong moral compass but she's not a criminal. Maybe she needs an evaluation but she's not a murderer. They are taking accountability out of the hands of this boy because he's dead. Help or not he made that choice. He is responsible for his own decisions. He stepped out of the car. He was dumb to listen to her in the first place let alone get back in after he already got out. And she was dumb for trying to help him do what she thought was best for him when it wasn't. He was aware of his depression and what he was doing. He even suggested to her at one point they commit suicide together. But to say "texts are like handing someone a loaded gun" is preposterous. I've seen the interviews. Words are words. If someone does something with them its on them. When I said the word shit at age 10 in front of my mom she didn't blame herself. She didn't blame the person who invented the word. She whooped my ass cause I knew better and still said it. He knew better and still made that choice. It doesn't really matter what she said to him. At the most her punishment should be a psych evaluation and some therapy or something. It's unfortunate that this happened but it was up to him. Her urging him to get back in was messed up but it was only him that could make that call. He was already out.

And everybody goes through shit. I've had some lows but never even contemplated suicide or had related thoughts. Most people grow up and realize that their problems as kids and teens are usually dumb and petty. Some just aren't able to work themselves out of it because they are not taught how to cope. They often let it take control and don't know how to deal. That comes from home life and how they were raised. If they were never taught how to deal with pain and failure then it's that much harder to get through it when they are older. Some kids aren't taught how to lose or that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Most kids are taught now that they can do anything but don't understand they have to work to make it happen. If you look at look at 95% of the mental illness symptoms, It describes what all humans go through daily and some even several times throughout their lives and most are mild. To be selfish enough to take the easy way out or even let someone affect you that much is intolerable. If it was indeed severe enough to where he couldn't actually "think" for himself, which I doubt, then he should've been getting better help and a lot more people need to be thinking about what more they could've done and still could do for others than blame another sick girl for her poor judgement. Maybe like get her help instead of trying to thrust her into the prison system that would just make her worse.

Ignorance has nothing to do with it. Call me an asshole all you want but I'm fully aware of the courts ruling and that the law is what it is. I understand what was presented in the case just fine. None of us will truly know what all happened or what they were going through. This is subjective opinions on the matter. On the case, on mental health, and on suicide. We all have them. Some are just different. My lack of sympathy makes me an asshole to some (although there are many who would agree with me too) but far from ignorant. It was still his own life that he took. I don't have much tolerance for suicide.

Still doesn't mean she's criminal. He still listened to her. Still his choice to do so.

How's that for the same argument? lol. Also M3J repeated himself several times too so don't know why you're just calling me out. Then again I think I might have a hunch.

"Still his choice"

Lmao, please refrain from posting in this thread until you have atleast read WebMD's article on depression? Can you do that wally? Can you read watered down information on mental sickness? Or do you want me to read it for you and chew it so you can comprehend it?

As I said. If he didn't want to go through with it, he wouldn't have. She didn't force him. Encouraging is another thing. Words can be powerful sure, but I feel like there are more excuses being made for him and it's all being put on her.

Sorry, I just can't agree. She may have had a moral responsibility to help him and she made the wrong decision because she's not entirely "all there" herself. But to call her a criminal is too much. I think we have just as much of a moral responsibility here to tread a line carefully when we are talking about words compared to physical actions. I feel like those people that are neglecting his responsibility to make decisions for himself and be held accountable for his actions no matter what he was told are just as dangerous. What's next? Being charged for saying something mean on the internet? Telling your buddy to kys in a sarcastic way will be a chargeable offense? Where will everyone draw the line? Because this was a little more cut and dry and there is still heavy opposition. So what will happen down the road?

You know the boundaries will continue to be pushed with each case. Too many people want to have a say so in other people's lives and punish people for doing something they don't agree with. Too many think that's perfectly reasonable. I don't. It's intrusive and dangerous. It's not my duty to save everyone or police everyone. He tried to kill himself before. Why wasn't his parents there for him? Where were they? Or any other friends or family? Why wasn't he on watch? Why was he left to his own devices. Just too many questions and all they want to do is make an example out of a crazy girl.

Based on what you're saying though, I guess you have the privilege of not having any mental health issues (despite what some posters here say, and I disagree with them). I don't either, as far as I know, but it makes no sense for us to automatically judge them right off the bat. How much do you know about mental illnesses? Depression?

If Conrad was mentally healthy, then yeah, Michelle wouldn't be faulted that much. But it is still *censored*ed up that someone would encourage her loved one to kill himself, especially when she knows he needs help and should be seeking help for him.

Peace.

"Still his choice"

Lmao, please refrain from posting in this thread until you have atleast read WebMD's article on depression? Can you do that wally? Can you read watered down information on mental sickness? Or do you want me to read it for you and chew it so you can comprehend it?

kEojTp4.gif

Based on what you're saying though, I guess you have the privilege of not having any mental health issues (despite what some posters here say, and I disagree with them). I don't either, as far as I know, but it makes no sense for us to automatically judge them right off the bat. How much do you know about mental illnesses? Depression?

If Conrad was mentally healthy, then yeah, Michelle wouldn't be faulted that much. But it is still *censored*ed up that someone would encourage her loved one to kill himself, especially when she knows he needs help and should be seeking help for him.

Well someone very close to me has suffered from a case of depression here recently. She is better now but we went through quite a bit for a while. Not every case is the same and none of us truly know what went on with him or Carter in their lives separate or together. She did a dumb a screwed up thing. Morally it was wrong. But we don't know what she was really going through either. Everyone knows what was presented in the case and are just demonizing her. I don't think she's a criminal though. Plenty of screwed up people going through depression don't contemplate suicide. Plenty do but never act on it. I don't know what his exact issues were. No one does. But he seemed pretty well aware of what he was doing as did she. To me that makes it his choice. Which it is anyway. It was selfish and it was tragic for sure. But he made it. He made his choice to trust her. We all have to take accountability. If he really wanted to live and get help. He would have. It wasn't up to someone girl 35 miles away.

There will always be factors to sway someone but something extreme like that I have to place on the person wanting to do it. It's final.. You can talk someone into having a beer. You can talk someone into doing something minor. Peer pressure is a thing but you have to learn to control that shit yourself. No one can protect you but you. Suicide is something that even the most screwed up person knows is severe. I'm sure he was confused. And I'm sure he was back and forth on whether he wanted to do it. But he made that decision. The only tragedy is it's one he can't take back. Here's another question. What medications was he on? Was he on any for his depression? Medications can cause suicidal and reckless thoughts. I've seen bad experiences even while someone is on medication for depression or just hormonal imbalance even. Anti depressants don't always work. Just another thing that could've been related. Demonizing this girl or throwing her in prison is just a bit much.

The biggest problem is the argument can be made in several different ways. If you say he couldn't think for himself and listened to her so its all her fault, then you could say the same for her who also has a history of taking drugs for depression and an eating disorder and she wasn't in her right mind either. Thus a big unfortunate tragedy. If you argue she was in her right mind enough to know she should've helped, then by how he acted, he was enough in his right mind to know what decisions he was making no matter how reckless and dumb or tragic they were. Just my opinion. Again, I don't expect anyone to agree.

Archived