NWA Discussion Thread

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehh, I don't think CMLL is going anywhere anytime soon.

Soon? No way. But they shouldn't let their guard down. WWE's goal is to eventually have franchises like NXT in various wrestling hotspots around the world. You will see more and more of their guys leave in the coming years. WWE will capitalize on the rivalry between AAA and CMLL. Mexican indie wrestling is gaining lot of steam, and WWE is going to want to manipulate that too. It will play out similar to how it did in the UK, but it's going to be even more dramatic. Who knows what the landscape of wrestling will look like twenty years from now, but it's going to get uglier. Maybe CMLL will survive for many decades, but it's only going to get harder.

WWE is the worst thing that can happen to wrestling right now. Their goal is to supplant every major wrestling promotion in every country with their own brand of shitty entertainment.

Resulting in promoters actually paying their talent real money, since WWE is an option now

I'm quite excited to see what Corgan does with the NWA. I am honest when I say I think he was TNAs best chance at going forward and its clear Corgan actually gives a damn about wrestling.

WWE is the worst thing that can happen to wrestling right now. Their goal is to supplant every major wrestling promotion in every country with their own brand of shitty entertainment.

Lol...this really doesn't even begin to be true in any way. Always blows my mind when people come up with these kinds of conspiracies where WWE is the absolute *censored*ing devil. The entire wrestling industry is in a boom period right now...even the tiniest of little indy promotions are doing extremely well. People always gotta complain about something...

Ehh, I really wouldn't attribute that to WWE at all.

It really is, though.

WWE is the biggest wrestling company in the US. When they sign indy people, it helps casual fans learn about the other companies that are out there. With NXT (WWE) continuously signing dozens and dozens of indy talents into their performance center...that directly draws the attention of casual fans to the promotions where those talents are coming from. An argument really can't even be made against that fact. It's mutually beneficial to everyone. Especially in the case of something like the UK title...where the guys are all still working for those smaller feds, and WWE is directly siphoning interest into those promotions by way of the WWE UK championship.

I know people love to demonize the WWE, but they really aren't the "bad guys" in the history of pro wrestling; Not even when it came to WCW and ECW. Hell...they kept ECW alive for a long while. On the day when WWE starts buying up small promotions just "because they can"...then people can call them villains. Signing talents from other promotions is not a bad thing. Never has been...it will just continue to do what it has always done...generate interest for those promotions.

Hell...WWE farming the indies for talent probably even inspires more kids to get into training. It might be disheartening to get into wrestling training if you think you're going to be stuck in the indy scene for your entire life...but, seeing that WWE scouts those companies, might be enough to get wave after wave of new talents giving it a shot. You never know how deep these things go. Point is, WWE has more influence than fans give them credit for.

You're infuriating, jfc. You're always right, we get it. I don't think you should be in a wrestling forum, maybe monologues would be the best thing for you.

Just answer me this, if wrestling is in a boom period and it's because of WWE why is it that last week's Raw ratings (excluding football season) were the lowest in 20 years? Maybe it is because of WWE. Their product is so unappealling that people have to seek elsewhere for wrestling.

You have a serious issue. I'm sorry that you get "infuriated" by a simple discussion.

When did I claim to always be right?...I'm just saying how WWE influences the wrestling world as a whole. Pretty sure that was the discussion. Maybe you shouldn't be on a wrestling forum...since you have such thin skin on seemingly civil issues...

And since when were ratings so one-sided? Things aren't that black and white.

If WWE introduces casual fans to other options via signing a bunch of indy people...then yeah, maybe they go and watch some indy wrestling instead of WWE programming. Their influence on the wrestling industry is not exclusive to their own benefit...that's common sense. I said it was mutually beneficial. WWE gets great talents...the indy feds get more viewers...maybe WWE loses some of their own viewers, those viewers choose to watch something else...but WWE still leads as the main cause of most shifts in the mainstream wrestling universe. I was discussing their influence...not their ratings.

There is much more to a "boom period" than the ratings of one company...the reason why the wrestling industry as a whole is currently in a boom period, is because of the exposure that WWE is helping them all get on a mainstream level. I think that's fairly obvious. WWE doesn't make those companies better, or change them in any way...but it brings them exposure so that they can be great on their own. When the WWE model for decades is to pretend that the competion doesn't exist...and then it suddenly shifts to "talk openly about all of the indy feds"...yeah...that's positive influence. How is it not?

In the case of something like the UK title...where the guys are all still working for those smaller feds.

I am not looking to contribute to the "WWE is the devil" argument, I just wish to correct something about the above statement, which is not entirely true: in some cases the WWE UK wrestlers are not able to work for all of the promotions that they worked for previously, as the contracts they have prevent them from working for certain indy promotions.

To be fair I never once said that wrestling is at it's lowest point it's ever been, I simply said that out of all the threats to wrestling promotions across the country (and world) that WWE is the biggest menace out there because of their ambitions for basically world domination. At least from a fans view point I have valid reasons to be wary of WWE. For one, their current product is absolutely dreadful and unappealing; it's seen better days and yet as you've all said they are by a mile the biggest company of it's kind in the world.

They can seemingly take away talent from any other promotion at will. As a big fan of CMLL I fear that they will try and go after some of that companies biggest young talent like Dragon Lee for example because they will most likely just do the Mistico/Sin Cara treatment or even worse, the La Sombra/Cien Almas treatment where the guy loses his mask to come to WWE and then languishes in NXT for a few years with little hope of ever making it big when back in Mexico I could see them on my TV every week. WWE has no problems with taking talent from other companies and potentially ruining their careers in some way all for the sake of trying to "experiment" with them.

It might be good times for the wrestlers themselves trying to make money, but for those of us who don't like WWE there is some trepidation.

The thing with "WWE taking talent"...is that all it does is open the gates for indy feds to bring in new talents (and those talents do exist). I understand that fans of one promotion or another might not want their favorite guy to go to the WWE...but, for me personally, I love the cycle. I love watching the stream of talent across the board. I don't care about specific people staying in one place or another. I'm happy with things happening as they naturally happen, and seeing the new rookies come in as a result. That's all part of the process.

I think indy feds that are flush with fresh new talents are more interesting than indy feds that rely on a handful of top names. If all of the top indy names get snatched by WWE, then that's where they belong. Then you have those same indy feds pushing smaller names and making them big...and that's awesome to see. Like I said...I enjoy that part more than just seeing the big names over and over. Those people aren't supposed to just stay in the same indy fed for their entire career...that's not a realistic hope for anyone to have.

To be fair I never once said that wrestling is at it's lowest point it's ever been, I simply said that out of all the threats to wrestling promotions across the country (and world) that WWE is the biggest menace out there because of their ambitions for basically world domination. At least from a fans view point I have valid reasons to be wary of WWE. For one, their current product is absolutely dreadful and unappealing; it's seen better days and yet as you've all said they are by a mile the biggest company of it's kind in the world.

They can seemingly take away talent from any other promotion at will. As a big fan of CMLL I fear that they will try and go after some of that companies biggest young talent like Dragon Lee for example because they will most likely just do the Mistico/Sin Cara treatment or even worse, the La Sombra/Cien Almas treatment where the guy loses his mask to come to WWE and then languishes in NXT for a few years with little hope of ever making it big when back in Mexico I could see them on my TV every week. WWE has no problems with taking talent from other companies and potentially ruining their careers in some way all for the sake of trying to "experiment" with them.

It might be good times for the wrestlers themselves trying to make money, but for those of us who don't like WWE there is some trepidation.

Almas is doing pretty well for himself in NXT. He has an established role on the show as the "gatekeeper" to test the new talents, and his losses are being explained as bring due to a lack of focus due to his constant partying.

Yeah, I could do without all that stuff about Almas partying too much and shit and having to "explain" his losses and just let him, and the rest of the talent go at it in the ring. Let their skills speak for themselves. I'll just make it clear and make no secrets about it, I don't like the current WWE as it is. I loved it once from about 1993 to 2009 or so, but after HBK retired it's all gone down hill for me.

Only way I would be hyped for Almas being in WWE is if he would get a spot on the roster kinda like he had in CMLL, being a top heel with the top faction and feuding against the top faces in the main event. Being middle of the pack in NXT just doesn't cut it for me.

Almas is doing pretty well for himself in NXT. He has an established role on the show as the "gatekeeper" to test the new talents, and his losses are being explained as bring due to a lack of focus due to his constant partying.

A talent like him being the gatekeeper on developmental... what a great spot.

The funny thing about WWE and their plan going forward is that history repeats itself and yet some people still seem so blind to it.

The funny thing about WWE and their plan going forward is that history repeats itself and yet some people still seem so blind to it.

"History repeats itself" only works when the same course of action is taken. NXT is not following the course of history. WWE has never done anything like this. This isn't the WWF of the 80's or the 90's signing all the talents and then shutting down the territories. This is a developmental brand that is meant to work alongside other promotions to have a healthy cycle of talent across the board...and it works. It's proven that it works in the years since it was established. Healthy growth across the board proves that it works. New talents continuing to be created proves that it works.

Prime example...WWE "steals" Nakamura and AJ Styles...NJPW pushes Omega...everyone loves it. Everyone wins. It's a cycle. Believe in the cycle. Trust the cycle. If WWE had managed to "steal" Omega when they wanted, then NJPW would have pushed someone else to that spot. It all works. It always works. WWE takes from NJPW and ROH...NJPW and ROH take from the smaller feds, the smaller feds take entry level wrestlers and allow them to grow.

Yeah. Being the measuring stick which the company uses to judge others. Such a terrible position. He should be used so much better. How does being stuck in Superstars Hell jobbing to the likes of Curtis Axel and Darren Young sound?

But is he being used as the measuring stick with hopes of moving up himself, or is he just "enhancement" talent in the sense that he is just helping develop other people but he himself is not being looked at as "the future" of the business or big match caliber potential?

But is he being used as the measuring stick with hopes of moving up himself, or is he just "enhancement" talent in the sense that he is just helping develop other people but he himself is not being looked at as "the future" of the business or big match caliber potential?

In terms of my prediction, I definately see him as an Intercontinental Champ at least. He'll get a solid spot in the midcard.

In terms of my prediction, I definately see him as an Intercontinental Champ at least. He'll get a solid spot in the midcard.

Agreed. They're working him into something that will translate well on the main roster. He's doing well.

Archived