Official Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

E#37

IMPORTANT SPOILER RULE:

Since the episodes are released on demand (1-4 this Monday, 5-8 the following week), Jmerc and I are gonna ask you guys to spoiler tag posts involving what goes on during the matches, about who advanced or stuff like that within 5 days of whatever batch of episodes (1-4, 5-8). Please include what episode/s the tag references outside the tag to encourage discussion but ensure people only see what they want to see.

As an example (no actual spoilers included):

EPISODE 2 SPOILERS!

That match between X and Y was so awesome! Yay women! Yay wrestling!

This won't apply starting the saturday after the second batch is released and once we get to the live finals obviously since that'll be live. :)

7HceM0A.png

Air Date: Wednesdays starting on September 5, immediately following NXT

Bracketology: Wednesday Augusts 29th, immediately following NXT on the WWE Network.

Location: Full Sail University (Opening Rounds to Semifinals), Evolution PPV October 28 (Finals)

Announcers: Beth Phoenix, Michael Cole, Renee Young

Competitors:

• Kaitlyn (U.S.)
  • Io Shirai (Japan)
  • Tegan Nox (Wales)
  • Kacy Catanzaro (U.S.)
  • Toni Storm (Australia)
  • Jinny (England)
  • Ashley Rayne (U.S.)
  • Kavita Devi (India)
  • Meiko Satomura (Japan)
  • Rhea Ripley (Australia)
  • Deonna Purrazzo (U.S.)
  • Reina González (U.S.)
  • Lacey Lane (U.S.)
  • Jessica Elaban (U.S.)
  • Nicole Matthews (Canada)
  • MJ Jenkins (U.S.)
  • Karen Q (U.S.)
  • Zatara (Chile)
  • Mia Yim (U.S.)
  • Mercedes Martinez (U.S.)
  • Allysin Kay (U.S.)
  • Hiroyo Matsumoto (Japan)
  • Xia Li (China)
  • Zeuxis (Mexico)
  • Isla Dawn (Scotland)
  • Aerial Monroe (U.S.)
  • Rachel Evers (U.S.)
  • Priscilla Kelly (U.S.)
  • Killer Kelly (Portugal)
  • Vanessa Kraven (Canada)
  • Xia Brookside (England)
  • Taynara Conti (Brazil)

2017 Tournament:

Date: Monday August 28th on the WWE Network

Bracketology: Sunday August 20th, immediately following SummerSlam on the WWE Network.

Announcers: Jim "JR" Ross & Lita

Competitors:

• Toni Storm (New Zealand)
  • Lacey Evans (U.S.A)
  • Sarah Logan, aka Crazy Mary Dobson (U.S.A)
  • Princesa Sugehit (Mexico)
  • Tessa Blanchard (U.S.A)
  • Abbey Laith, aka Kimber Lee (U.S.A)
  • Taynara Conti (Brazil)
  • Jazzy Gabert, aka Alpha Female (Germany)
  • Dakota Kai, aka Evie (New Zealand)
  • Kairi Sane, aka Kairi Hojo (Japan) *INAUGURAL WINNER*
  • Piper Niven, aka Viper (Scotland)
  • Bianca Belair (U.S.A)
  • Rhea Ripley, aka Demi Bennett (Australia)
  • Sage Beckett, aka Rosie Lottalove (U.S.A)
  • Rachel Evers (USA)
  • Marti Belle (Dominican Republic)
  • Kay Lee Ray (Scotland)
  • Xia Li (China)
  • Mercedes Martinez (USA)
  • Nicole Savoy (USA)
  • Reina González (USA)
  • Renee Michelle (USA)
  • Candice LeRae (USA)
  • Mia Yim (South Korea)
  • Zeda (China)
  • Shayna Baszler (USA)
  • Kavita Devi (India)
  • Miranda Salinas (USA)
  • Vanessa Borne (USA)
  • Serena Deeb (USA)
  • Santana Garrett (USA)
  • Taynara Conti (Brazil)
  • Lacey Evans (USA)
  • Ayesha Raymond (England)

CAWs.ws Member Prediction Brackets:

*Spoiler tags are only used to contain predictions and keep everything neat. These are only predictions.

Jeb ?

weRgUq9.png

Jmerc

rFdMSpr.png

E#37

wB8bCzQ.png

Oldsie

6m17Lbc.png

The Phenomenal Boss

5dA7m1q.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tournament was originally scheduled for January, but moved back when WWE prioritized a U.K. territory and proposed television show getting off the ground due to ITV airing a wrestling product.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

But... but... William Regal was working on the tournament for 6 months, how can this be???

I like that idea more. Was more fun too.

The UK tournament was more fun than the Cruiserweight Classic to you? I loved the CWC, still consider it one of the coolest things WWE has ever done, hyped for this tournament for that same reason.

The tournament was originally scheduled for January, but moved back when WWE prioritized a U.K. territory and proposed television show getting off the ground due to ITV airing a wrestling product.

But... but... William Regal was working on the tournament for 6 months, how can this be???

Both things were thought of at the same time. Don't be an idiot.

Sure, lol.

C'mon. You're on this forum and didn't read the reports?

The ideas were all pitched alongside the CWC. Aswell as a "Asian", "European" and "Australian" tournaments.

What does that have to do with what I said? The WWE UK tournament happened when it did because of the ITV thing, I don't care if I get called an idiot for saying that, it's true.

It's like you people know nothing about the WWE, smh.

Sure, lol.

The ideas were all pitched alongside the CWC. Aswell as a "Asian", "European" and "Australian" tournaments.

What does that have to do with what I said? The WWE UK tournament happened when it did because of the ITV thing, I don't care if I get called an idiot for saying that, it's true.

It's like you people know nothing about the WWE, smh.

Suddenly it's about the timing. Beforehand it's always been about the existence of the tournament

Sure, lol.

Speaking of which, why dont we have an "International" tournaments altogether? hell, even throw in guys like Cesaro, Sheamus, Sami Zayn, Finn Balor, Aleister Black, Rusev, etc to make the whole tournament more appealing to casual fans. One could even suffer a "shocking defeat" to push other lesser known international star. The winner should become Intercontinental Champion, because imo thats what that title should represent, a "main title" for international superstars. they could later vacant the championship for a WWE championship match a la Aries.

Whatever it may be that caused it to be moved, if it is in fact moved. I'm glad it actually not happened in January, a lot more talent seems to be available now for this tournament compared to just a few months ago.

Also it was a two day tournament and that was easier to film then a 10 to 11 week tournament. So if they are making a women's show will they bring back old Women's Tag belts back from the 80's?

The UK tournament was more fun than the Cruiserweight Classic to you? I loved the CWC, still consider it one of the coolest things WWE has ever done, hyped for this tournament for that same reason.

I agree completely. I didn't get into the UK tournament all that much, whereas I was super excited for the CWC, and I think a big part of that was the 1 hour a week setup. It was done incredibly well and I would hope the Womens tournament follows that skeleton (which it looks like it will).

No it wasn't. I know I typed it like that, but I don't mean it that way. For this tournament, I think a 2 day is a better idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Excuse if already noted

"More Details Have Emerged About WWEs Upcoming Womens Tournament

Danielle Matheson05.05.17

Via @WWE

As reported by PWInsider, new details have apparently been revealed about WWEs much-anticipated womens tournament set for later this year. Though very little has officially been announced, more and more rumours are coming out as the focus is finally free to shift from the UK tournament to this one.

Tourney filming will supposedly take place in July at Full Sail, just like the Cruiserweight Classic tapings. Much like the cruiserweights, WWE has promised a heavy international focus, with 17 countries being represented. Stardoms Kairi Hojo has already been scooped up by WWE, and Io Shirai has already had her tryout. Kimber Lee and Ruby Riot (née Heidi Lovelace) have already settled into their NXT contracts with the goal of being featured in the tournament as well. WWE is currently finishing up the background checks for the remaining women not already under contract.

Much like the other tournaments WWE has run in the past year, the finale of the womens is planned to be a live special on the Network. PWInsider is saying it will take place on August 29th, though its not known how it will compete with the other Tuesday night programming, like SmackDown Live and 205 Live. While nothing is set in stone, we can safely say every tidbit of news has us staying Mojo Rawley-levels of hype."

Source: UPROXX

Ruby Riot in the tournament would be surprising.

Why? #DIY and Rich Swann were already on the NXT roster before they entered the CWC.

Ruby Riot in the tournament would be surprising.

Why? #DIY and Rich Swann were already on the NXT roster before they entered the CWC.

None of them were anywhere near title contention when they entered the CWC. She may be the least likely of the four to walk out of Chicago as NXT Women's Champion, but she's in title contention.

Archived