• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Fight Me.

Fight Me.

Let me in.

• Members
  • 44,365 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:17 AM

Wasn't sure what to expect, but goddamn, great movie.

#42 sam the d00d

sam the d00d

Legend

• Members
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

Saw this today. Never saw the original miniseries. Obviously know the premise just through pop culture osmosis. Thought it was pretty good. Not really a horror movie guy, but the kid actors did a great job.

Spoiler

#43 Mr.Dreadful

Mr.Dreadful

Legend

• Members
  • 9,317 posts
  • Gamertag: XB1- Dukesfan77
  • SEN (PS3): PS4- randomCanadian77

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:24 AM

:hqhq:

https://www.instagra...risjerichofozzy

Edited by Mr.Dreadful, 12 September 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#44 Beardd

Beardd

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:29 AM

Some lames bitched about the CGI in this flick but overall, I think it helped and was done intentionally in some cases. The distortion.

#45 Kiwasabi

Kiwasabi

Jobber

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

I really enjoyed the movie! Some parts I was looking at the corner of the screen cause I felt there was gonna be a scary scene. I've never seen the miniseries but after watching this movie I read more about the story. Now I can't wait for chapter 2!

#46 Creepia

Creepia

WARDANCE.

• Members
  • 41,908 posts
  • SEN (PS3): CreepingHD
  • Twitter: CochiseJak

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Seen it twice now and think it's a bit overrated tbh. Individually the clown stuff and the children stuff was done well, but it became your generic horror schlock when they combined. They overused the jump scare sound effect like every horror movies these days have. I understand why it's getting praise, but I really don't think it's as good as everyone is making it out to be. Not a bad film by any means, just not really all that amazing IMO.

At least they didn't include the underage gangbang scene in this version. :rolleyes:

Edited by Creep., 15 September 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#47 Beardd

Beardd

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

Mainstream horror movies have to do that stuff. That's what the teenagers go for. Jump scares make money. So I don't blame them one bit.

But I think a fair amount of the creepiness was based on the visuals and I don't think I've seen a better mainstream horror film in years (that includes The Witch and It Comes At Night which were hyped heavily as well).

Edited by Respect The Beard, 15 September 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#48 Creepia

Creepia

WARDANCE.

• Members
  • 41,908 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

Just because they have to do it, doesn't really excuse it for being overdone and stale. I do blame them, it's not like they were needed. People didn't go into the movie expecting it yet it's the highest grossing horror movie ever. They were unnecessary.

Edited by Creep., 15 September 2017 - 02:25 PM.

#49 sam the d00d

sam the d00d

Legend

• Members
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

I didn't think it was very scary, but it was well put together. I think it's a good kid's movie weirdly enough. Like I imagine kids around that 10-13 age range will probably get the most from this movie.

#50 Creepia

Creepia

WARDANCE.

• Members
  • 41,908 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

I didn't think it was very scary, but it was well put together. I think it's a good kid's movie weirdly enough. Like I imagine kids around that 10-13 age range will probably get the most from this movie.

I agree. Not really scary, but visually pleasing and the tension was there.

#51 Beardd

Beardd

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:44 PM

Just because they have to do it, doesn't really excuse it for being overdone and stale. I do blame them, it's not like they were needed. People didn't go into the movie expecting it yet it's the highest grossing horror movie ever. They were unnecessary.

Eh, I disagree. It's stale to you but not to the crowds of teenagers. Also...I don't think that's accurate. The trailer gave off the impression that there would be jump scares. 

But then again, I can't really argue with what seems to be your personal preference. Like if you were the director and attempted to cut them out due "to being unnecessary", I can almost guarantee the studio/producers wouldn't have let you have your way

#52 St★rstruck

St★rstruck

Sicker than your average.

• Members
  • 25,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

Thought the movie was so good that I saw it twice, lol - first on Thursday w/ my girflriend and on Monday w/ the boys. Thought the movie was a bit more fun to watch the second time around. I found myself laughing half of the time.

I *censored*ing love Richie. :lol:

#53 Creepia

Creepia

WARDANCE.

• Members
  • 41,908 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

Eh, I disagree. It's stale to you but not to the crowds of teenagers. Also...I don't think that's accurate. The trailer gave off the impression that there would be jump scares. 

But then again, I can't really argue with what seems to be your personal preference. Like if you were the director and attempted to cut them out due "to being unnecessary", I can almost guarantee the studio/producers wouldn't have let you have your way

I don't care about groups of teenagers. :lol: like...what? I'm obviously just saying my own personal preference, doesnt matter to me what demographic likes them or not. I'm not here to argue for other people's opinions. Besides, you don't have to have jump scares with the exact same sound effect as every. other. horror. movie. You can make a new sound effect or do it visually or whatever else. I don't think teenagers really care what sound effect accompanies it, I don't think they specifically ask for that one effect. I'm not saying there shouldn't be jump scares, you can just do it differently. Use those basic ass effects for the trailer.

And it depends on who the producers and studio are in that HYPOTHETICAL situation. They might have done. If Martin Scorsese made it or any other prestige director it'd be a different story.

Edited by Creep., 15 September 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#54 Beardd

Beardd

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

I thought you meant jump scares were overused and stale in general. I didn't realize that you were talking about a certain sound effect (which I didn't notice tbh).

But as for the hypothetical situation, Cary Fukunaga got kicked off directing it for "trying to make an unconventional horror film". He mentioned that they wanted to make "an inoffensive and conventional script with archetypes and scares" first and foremost. Although I'd argue that the characters in "It" were fun and that I understand why Alvin was depicted as less rapey than Fukunaga's version...

And thankfully, I don't think the orgy was featured in either screenplay.

#55 Creepia

Creepia

WARDANCE.

• Members
  • 41,908 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

It's implied in the TV movie I think.

#56 Beardd

Beardd

Hall of Famer

• V.I.P
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

I re-watched it recently and don't recall it being implied. Both films skip it.

#57 Creepia

Creepia

WARDANCE.

• Members
  • 41,908 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

I re-watched it recently and don't recall it being implied. Both films skip it.

Really? Well then I'm remembering it wrong. I thought they mentioned it or whatever in the sewers.

#58 Willows Way

Willows Way

Official CAWs.ws Addict

• Members
  • 39,072 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

I liked this tbh but i def found the original personally scarier. This one was def creepier at times and def way more brutal. However there was also alot of scenes where i was laughing hard when i prob wasnt supposed to be.

#59 Salvaje Beast

Salvaje Beast

Zondo

• Members
  • 13,390 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

It's really rare to make a horror movie truly scare now a days. Creepy, disturbing and violent is the standard by default

#60 TheTRIsetMaster908

TheTRIsetMaster908

Main Eventer

• Members
  • 4,586 posts
  • Gamertag: triset908
  • SEN (PS3): triset908
  • Steam ID: triset908
  • Twitter: trisetmaster908

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:19 AM

https://www.hollywoo...-sequel-1086589

Jessica Chastain in talks to play Bev