Former WWE Writer Says WWE Had Plans To Turn John Cena Heel Back in 2012

Mr.Dreadful

While speaking to PWTorch, former WWE writer Kevin Eck revealed that WWE had plans at one point to turn John Cena heel back in 2012.

“We were very close. We had Vince sign off on it at one point and Cena was on board to do it. We started making plans for it and then Vince got cold feet – we had just signed an exclusive Cena merchandise deal with Walmart.”

Eck would then reveal that plans changed last minute when Vince came to a booking meeting with the head writers and told everyone, “I know you guys really want to do this but we just can’t do it.”

At the time, the feeling was that Vince didn’t believe there was another guy in the company to replace Cena as the face of the company. Eck said, “CM Punk was over but he can’t be THE guy and it can’t be Randy Orton because he hates people.” Eck said Sheamus was being groomed to be the top babyface at one point but felt that Vince did more to hurt Sheamus’ character than help.

Eck added, “Vince not only considered it, he was almost there to pull the trigger on it.”

http://www.wrestlingattitude.com/2017/03/former-wwe-writer-says-wwe-had-plans-to.html

this is what happens when you put all your 'eggs' in one basket. and now he's doing it again with Roman

Yeah I think Roman is much better off a heel than Cena ever was. As much as I don't like Cena the dude knows how to play that character but everything about Face Roman is just forced and handed to him based on his look alone.

As heel he's way more natural,

Yeah I think Roman is much better off a heel than Cena ever was. As much as I don't like Cena the dude knows how to play that character but everything about Face Roman is just forced and handed to him based on his look alone.

As heel he's way more natural,

Yeah I wonder why WWE won't turn him heel it'd help him in the long run. People cheer Kevin Owens and he's a heel.

Yeah I wonder why WWE won't turn him heel it'd help him in the long run. People cheer Kevin Owens and he's a heel.

Because they don't feel they have a strong enough face to sell merchandise to kids. If Bryan never got injured, Cena would have probably turned heel. You also need a face for the brand. Someone to go onto Good Morning America or a late night talk show and not look bad. They don't feel they have that, and right now I don't think they do either. Miz is a heel. Y2J is too temporary. Rollins has the most potential of the current group. He can talk. He has a great look. He looks like an athlete. TIme will tell if they can make him a hugely over face.

I don't even want Cena as a heel so much as I just want some interesting things to happen with his character. it was the Superman "brush off any promo and then talk stupid kiddy shit" that really pissed me off about him.

Why......I've heard about this story, but why did Vince not wanna turn Cena heel? He had someone right there to replace him as the top babyface in CM Punk and he didn't do it. Why? Cause he didn't have the look that Vince liked? Gimme a break.

Why......I've heard about this story, but why did Vince not wanna turn Cena heel? He had someone right there to replace him as the top babyface in CM Punk and he didn't do it. Why? Cause he didn't have the look that Vince liked? Gimme a break.

Because they just signed an exclusive deal with Walmart and honestly Punk does not come off as face of a company

being a face of,the company like Cena means so much more than what you do in the ring it means interviews outside interactions a workhorse

^ Cosmetics. Of course.

It's all cosmetics with Vince, from the days of the chiselled physiques of Hogan and Luger, to the blue eyed square jawed all American boy image he's had with Cena. You think that Daniel Bryan with his shaggy beard would have been Vince's ideal public face of WWE?

The only reason he went with Austin in my opinion was because in the attitude era, he needed someone with real edge to them - if Austin was around in the era of Cena, no way would he get half the push.

^ Cosmetics. Of course.

It's all cosmetics with Vince, from the days of the chiselled physiques of Hogan and Luger, to the blue eyed square jawed all American boy image he's had with Cena. You think that Daniel Bryan with his shaggy beard would have been Vince's ideal public face of WWE?

The only reason he went with Austin in my opinion was because in the attitude era, he needed someone with real edge to them - if Austin was around in the era of Cena, no way would he get half the push.

Not really seeing how a punk is with fans on Twitter and and interviews you cant have someone a face in the company that does that when half his job is public appearances

I recall Cena got a bunch of merch made for it and never got to use it which is a shame. Also a shame they haven't learned with Roman either.

Archived