WWE to purchase ROH?

kidd0

The idea that 2k19 could potentially have ROH versions of AJ, Joe Bryan sounds pretty cool. Maybe even CM Punk. Sounds crazy right now but so would Kurt Angle if we brought that up for 2k18 around the time 2k17 was being talked about this time last year.

Guess we'll see.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I don't think it's going to happen, at least not right away. Meltzer mentioned how they already turned down a really good offer from Flosports. Not much has changed, why sell now? Like I said, Sinclair has always been very supportive of ROH, so it seems odd that they'd suddenly want to give up on it, especially when they could probably wait and see the price rise even higher. The tape library will only become more valuable as ex-ROH guys like Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn become bigger stars, and WWE may become even more desperate to shut down competition. The fact that WWE is interested in shelling out this kind of cash just to shut down much smaller competition like ROH is a bit pathetic. Sinclair might as well wait and see how desperate WWE really is. Maybe they're willing to make an insanely high offer just so they don't lose sleep over there being other wrestling products out there. Plus, if ROH is for sale, there may be other bidders. Look what happened with TNA. Maybe somebody like Billy Corgan will swoop in at the last minute.

That could also mean they're confident they'd get a better offer from WWE than what they'd get from FloSlam.

Personally, I don't think it's going to happen, at least not right away. Meltzer mentioned how they already turned down a really good offer from Flosports. Not much has changed, why sell now? Like I said, Sinclair has always been very supportive of ROH, so it seems odd that they'd suddenly want to give up on it, especially when they could probably wait and see the price rise even higher. The tape library will only become more valuable as ex-ROH guys like Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn become bigger stars, and WWE may become even more desperate to shut down competition. The fact that WWE is interested in shelling out this kind of cash just to shut down much smaller competition like ROH is a bit pathetic. Sinclair might as well wait and see how desperate WWE really is. Maybe they're willing to make an insanely high offer just so they don't lose sleep over there being other wrestling products out there. Plus, if ROH is for sale, there may be other bidders. Look what happened with TNA. Maybe somebody like Billy Corgan will swoop in at the last minute.

That could also mean they're confident they'd get a better offer from WWE than what they'd get from FloSlam.

Of course. I'm just saying that personally, I don't think they necessarily wanted to sell it to begin with. We know WWE wants to buy out their competition. That part wasn't exactly breaking news. Now we know that the two have been talking to each other. But there's still no evidence that Sinclair feels like they're done with ROH. They're obviously open to listening to offers, but who wouldn't be? Both WWE and FloSports approached them, not the other way around. And almost everything that we've ever heard about the relationship between Sinclair and ROH over the years has been positive. Considering it's a super niche product, ROH has actually been doing alright since being taken over by Sinclair. This isn't like the TNA situation. If the deal does happen, I don't think it's because Sinclair is disappointed in ROH and wanted to get rid of them. I think it's because WWE made them an outrageous offer that they couldn't refuse.

Someone on another forum suggested that New Japan should re-form a working agreement with Impact if they lose ROH, which would make no sense at all with Impact's new working relationships with NOAH, who had a falling out with New Japan as well as Impact's relationship with AAA, who is a rival to CMLL, who has a working relationship with New Japan. Plus the Impact-New Japan relationship did not end well.

Chuck Carroll of CBSLocal.com has published a story claiming Ring of Honor will not be sold to WWE, according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation. One high-ranking source said “there is no story here.”
During an interview earlier this month, ROH COO Joe Koff emphatically denied rumors of a potential sale.
“No. No, no, no,” Koff told me. “It’s very flattering and humbling to us. It validates what we’ve done. A lot of their current performers and stars are ROH guys and we have their history. So maybe the content of the backstories of Kevin Steen before he became Kevin Owens or AJ Styles’ run in Ring of Honor, Tyler Black (aka Seth Rollins), Claudio (Castagnoli aka Cesaro) … all of the guys who have wrestled for us. We have their backstory and where it began… That’s our content.”
The two sides are open to continuing a professional relationship that is mutually beneficial. However, Koff also said the idea of WWE purchasing the ROH tape library is highly unlikely.

- Wrestlezone

The COO of the company in question of being bought is a no name on the topic? Un-*censored*ing believable

Umm no the two no names r

Chuck Carroll of CBSLocal.com has published a story claiming Ring of Honor will not be sold to WWE, according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation. One high-ranking source said there is no story here.

The COO of the company in question of being bought is a no name on the topic? Un-*censored*ing believable

Chuck Carroll of CBSLocal.com has published a story claiming Ring of Honor will not be sold to WWE, according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation. One high-ranking source said there is no story here.

Let me clear this up again.

Satin's article is correct.

Anything you hear publicly otherwise is as accurate as UFC was only selling 15% and TNA wasn't negotiating to sell the company when we reported the Toby Keith story.

Like those stories, this is not a story I'm going to be wrong on no matter how many people publicly say so. There is no telling if a deal will be made, but what they are negotiating is to get tapes and get rid of competition.

-Big Money Meltz

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, ROH got WWE to back off of several deals/contract offers by threatening them with tampering charges. The deals in play were for Donovan Dijak, Ray Rowe, Kyle OReilly and Bobby Fish.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/roh-threatens-wwe-over-tampering-charges/

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, at one point, FloSlam reportedly tried to buy Ring of Honor. When that fell through, the streaming service made a big play, offering a big money deal to stream all of the ROH events on FloSlam; this was also turned down.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/floslam-reportedly-tried-to-buy-roh/

• 3 weeks later...

Dave Meltzer reported in the latest issue of The Wrestling Observer that all talks regarding WWE purchasing ROH "are considered dead," according to someone from the WWE side with knowledge of the details of the negotiations.

Meltzer noted that there were still talks between ROH and WWE about licensing old ROH content on the WWE Network.

ROH COO Joe Koff had been dismissing reports of a rumored sale, most recently telling The Baltimore Sun that "it was not a story."

"It was not a story," Koff said. "It was not a story when it came out. I think people want to make a story out of nothing. I'm very open in conversations with very many different wrestling promotions. And I think sometimes because I don't share a lot of stuff, we're very private about what we do. I think it raises speculation. I think this thing with the WWE really started because we were in conversations about content for Kevin Owens' DVD. There was a lot of back and forth between the two companies. I think that was the seed that drove that story."

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0414/625267/backstage-update-on-wwe-buying-roh/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Still great news that WWE and ROH are discussing the possibility of sharing the archive content for DVDs. The Owens, Joe, AJ etc DVDs possible would be amazing.

Archived