WWE to purchase ROH?

kidd0

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be cool if it was true, just to have the library on the network.

The talent would be amazing, but I think their biggest motivation for a purchase would be the library. I'm sure that's what their mainly after.

I think if it's true, most talent would be out of work. Not to mention the ring crews, camera men, etc. I think they mainly want it for the library, just because so many of their current guys now have history in ROH, and even TNA if they were ever interested in buying that. I think it's mainly so they can include a wrestler's ROH matches when making DVDS.

or this a way for wwe to help shut down njpw in america without roh new japan loses there foothold

I don't know. If ROH is bought out by WWE and WWE decides to sever ties with Evolve Wrestling, New Japan could come in there and form a working relationship with Evolve Wrestling. Both Zack Sabre Jr. and Ricochet are already working for Evolve and Michael Elgin is working with them during WM weekend next weekend. Forming a working relationship with Evolve also means Matt Riddle, Drew Galloway and Jeff Cobb in New Japan. ROH is not the only US Indie New Japan can go to. Evolve is there and they have as good of a roster (if not better) than what ROH has.

Yeah, I don't know why people are acting like ROH would be dying here. WWE just wants to make money off everyone. ROH will operate as it normally does, and WWE would air it on the WWE network, I believe. And it's absolutely crazy to imagine a world where ROH, ICW, and Progress all air on the WWE Network. Who ever thought we would get to this point?

or this a way for wwe to help shut down njpw in america without roh new japan loses there foothold

I don't know. If ROH is bought out by WWE and WWE decides to sever ties with Evolve Wrestling, New Japan could come in there and form a working relationship with Evolve Wrestling. Both Zack Sabre Jr. and Ricochet are already working for Evolve and Michael Elgin is working with them during WM weekend next weekend. Forming a working relationship with Evolve also means Matt Riddle, Drew Galloway and Jeff Cobb in New Japan. ROH is not the only US Indie New Japan can go to. Evolve is there and they have as good of a roster (if not better) than what ROH has.

But they r by far the biggest and best chance getting American,viewers then evolve as they r well known for somewhat a tv deal,and a solid fan base every thing new japan needs as,they already fighting a uphill,battle

Yeah, I don't know why people are acting like ROH would be dying here. WWE just wants to make money off everyone. ROH will operate as it normally does, and WWE would air it on the WWE network, I believe. And it's absolutely crazy to imagine a world where ROH, ICW, and Progress all air on the WWE Network. Who ever thought we would get to this point?

Really with wwe has there own,image they will not just let roh run like they always have of they bought it out

I could honestly see the WWE having a network special on ROH if the deal happens where they get comments from guys like Rollins, Owens, Zayn, Styles, Joe, Aires, Strong, Cesaro, Bryan, McGuinness, Itami and Ohno (among others) about their times in ROH.

I'd be interested in hearing what those guys will say if the deal gets completed.

Really with wwe has there own,image they will not just let roh run like they always have of they bought it out

Are you just completely oblivious to the fact that WWE has produced their own adult shows on the WWE Network, and they clearly don't have any sort of "image" to uphold on there? They made a cartoon show where little kid versions of the wrestlers went around dropping MF'er bombs left and right while Ric Flair *censored*ed a bear. The Network is not WWE television. The Network is exempt.

Plus having all of the ROH footage means that the WWE can have DVD sets and WWE Network specials on the ROH guys that they already have on the roster. I mean, I think a lot us here would love to watch ROH back from a decade ago and see that over half of that roster is now in the WWE. We can look back and see a clean shaven Daniel Bryan, a thinner Kassius Ohno, Cesaro with hair, a clean shaven short haired AJ Styles, Nigel McGuiness sporting the Billy Idol look, the origins of Aires and Strong as a tag team, a clean shaven Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe with blond hair, Sami Zayn under a mask and a younger Seth Rollins.

Pro Wrestling Sheet reported on 3/22 that the WWE was in talks with Sinclair Broadcasting regarding purchasing of Ring of Honor.

There had been stories going around wrestling of talks between Sinclair and WWE regarding buying ROH in recent weeks, to the point over the past month, there were people asking questions to those in the company about the story. Those in the company denied the story being accurate at the time to talent that had asked.
Joe Koff had not commented at press time on the story, but others in the company have stated that they weren’t aware of any talks and that nothing has happened that would make things seem any different from business as usual going forward.
A major key to the deal would include the purchase of the ROH library, which has early matches of many of the current top WWE names including Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Daniel Bryan, A.J. Styles, Austin Aries and many others. We’re told WWE first inquired about purchasing ROH dating back to August, and wanted to do so for more than just the tape library. There have also been at least minor inquiries and feelers about purchasing other independent companies, both in the U.S. and the U.K., for tape libraries and perhaps to limit outside options for talent.

- Dave Meltzer, f4wonline.com

http://www.f4wonline.com/march-27-2017-wrestling-observer-newsletter-wwe-potentially-buying-roh-jan-ross-passes-away-more?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

On another end, that doesn't sound too nice.

Just read that the talks have been since August and no real deal has been discussed. So...this is probably just another of your typical "stirring of the pot" stories. Maybe even leaked by WWE's people to generate interest in the topic and make ROH think. Who knows. I'm sure there's some inside angle on these kinds of stories appearing when they do...

CD: I don’t know anything specific about it. I can’t imagine that when you say “acquisition”… I can’t imagine it’s a full on acquisition. Only because I think that Sinclair is committed to doing things with Ring of Honor for it’s own business purposes. Again, I can’t really comment with any sort of intelligence on what the whole thing is even about. I have heard that rumor but I don’t feel like Ring of Honor is going to be sold to WWE outright. It depends too on what WWE is trying to gain. Is it a matter of the tape library? Is a matter of the contracts of certain wrestlers? Who knows? I guess the best thing we can do is sort of sit and see how it plays out if it’s even true. That’s all I can do. I am just going to continue to assume. I’m booked, I’m wrestling, I am going to continue to prepare for the next show and we are going to see how it all plays out.

Christopher Daniels ^^

Are you just completely oblivious to the fact that WWE has produced their own adult shows on the WWE Network, and they clearly don't have any sort of "image" to uphold on there? They made a cartoon show where little kid versions of the wrestlers went around dropping MF'er bombs left and right while Ric Flair *censored*ed a bear. The Network is not WWE television. The Network is exempt.

Yeah but they won't have another wrestling company show on it without. There touch them getting roh will end up like eve there own version

Yeah but they won't have another wrestling company show on it without. There touch them getting roh will end up like eve there own version

What you just said is based on absolutely nothing. You just tried to pedal your shitty opinion as fact...based on absolutely nothing. There is no precedent for WWE airing a pre-existing wrestling product on their Network, so I don't know where you get these claims that they are going to alter those kinds of shows.

Not to mention, the very notion that WWE even has time to put their "touch" on another product. They have their own shows to produce. Why would they even care what RoH does? They're just trying to attract viewers to the Network by doing as little work as possible.

To what end would going out of their way to rearrange an already successful product benefit the WWE? That would be a waste of time and resources. UFC doesn't give a shit what Alaska Fighting Championship does on Fight Pass...it's not their concern. This would be no different.

If the WWE goes UFC Fight Pass in regards to other promotions on their network, it could work out well. I have UFC Fight Pass and for the most part the UFC allows the promotions on Fight Pass to do whatever they want to do. The only time the UFC gets involved in the promotions featured in Fight Pass is if they want a certain fighter either for one fight (As the case in Invicta FC) or for multiple fights and if it is for multiple fights, those promotions have out clauses that allow the fighter to go to the UFC free of charge.

What you just said is based on absolutely nothing. You just tried to pedal your shitty opinion as fact...based on absolutely nothing. There is no precedent for WWE airing a pre-existing wrestling product on their Network, so I don't know where you get these claims that they are going to alter those kinds of shows.

Not to mention, the very notion that WWE even has time to put their "touch" on another product. They have their own shows to produce. Why would they even care what RoH does? They're just trying to attract viewers to the Network by doing as little work as possible.

To what end would going out of their way to rearrange an already successful product benefit the WWE? That would be a waste of time and resources. UFC doesn't give a shit what Alaska Fighting Championship does on Fight Pass...it's not their concern. This would be no different.

There are a lot of things that they would be forced to change because of their sponsors and copyrights. I touched on a few things that would change in my rant on the other page. There's a big difference between showing edgy ECW stuff that was taped a long time ago and promoting an ongoing show. Mattel doesn't have a problem with footage of New Jack stapling a dollar to Johny Grunge's forehead on the network because it's not topical any more. But if you saw the same thing on Raw next week, it might not go over so well. If something happens in ROH that sponsors see and don't like, WWE can try to argue that it's a totally different product aimed at an older audience, but that excuse won't always fly. There comes a point where sponsors will not want them to be affiliated in any way with certain products. There have already been some changes in Evolve due to their relationship with WWE, and they're not even featured on the network yet.

I don't necessarily think that would happen, but one thing that definitely would is that you wouldn't see any more reference to Bullet Club, NJPW, CMLL, or any wrestling show that isn't tied to WWE in some way. Bullet Club is a huge part of ROH right now with major storylines, gimmicks, and merchandize.

UFC still doesn't exactly have the reputation of a wholesome, family friendly product and even if they did, I don't think you can compare Fight Pass and the network. Wrestling's fake. UFC is not trying to "work" people into thinking a certain way about the other products that they own. WWE on the other hand is notorious for doing that. If a million people subscribed to Fight Pass tomorrow just so that they could watch Alaska Fighting Championship, Dana White wouldn't give a shit. If a million people subscribe to the network for ROH, Triple H is going to be happy, but he's also going to want to influence what happens on the show so that it appears inferior to their flagship shows in kayfabe. I'm not even saying he'd necessarily water it down or make it worse. Just that he'd want to exert some control over it so that it fits into their larger kayfabe universe. Hell, ROH on WWE network might even be a better show. But if you don't think it would be completely different, you don't know WWE. And to be honest, with their penchant for revisionist history, I think WWE would go back in time and change ECW if they could.

Having all that been said, I don't think this is going to happen now anyway. Wrestling Observer's reporting sounded really skeptical of the story, and based Young Bucks set the record straight. Is Pro Wrestling Sheet even a reliable source? They didn't start the TNA rumors, did they?

^ Network isn't fussed by the WWE's sponsor deals. Like I said before...WWE has their own adult content on the Network...NEW content that was intentionally created by the WWE, which has sexual innuendos and use of the f word. The Network is clearly exempt from the standard rules of WWE television. They can put whatever they want on there...very clearly.

^ Network isn't fussed by the WWE's sponsor deals. Like I said before...WWE has their own adult content on the Network...NEW content that was intentionally created by the WWE, which has sexual innuendos and use of the f word. The Network is clearly exempt from the standard rules of WWE television. They can put whatever they want on there...very clearly.

They can't "put whatever they want on there". They aren't exactly pushing the envelope with their crappy Adult Swim imitations. The things that sponsors care about don't always make sense. Saying the f word is not a big deal in this day and age. Something that sponsors would be more likely to be upset by is the Briscoe Brothers marching around with the confederate flag. They don't do that anymore, but if they did it would be a big no no on the WWE network. Same thing if they wanted to bring in the Fella Twins from CZW or something. There are definitely things that WWE would be scared to do. But like I said, that's the least of their concerns anyway. There would be lots of major changes to the show, but mostly because of copyright issues, wrestlers that don't want to work for them, and wrestlers who are too much of a liability. A year later, it'd be almost unrecognizable.

At this point, it seems like it's probably not going to happen. I knew the source seemed a little sketchy. Sinclair Broadcasting always has a lot of good things to say about ROH. It doesn't seem right.

So...you use a bunch of examples of things that RoH doesn't even do anymore...and claim that they're somehow worse than saying "mother*censored*er"? Meh...to each their own. RoH is pretty tame these days. I don't really understand what it is that you're saying doesn't fit with the WWE's image. As for copyrght issues, they could blur things, replace themes, or even cut entire matches. NJPW does the same stuff with the RoH wrestlers themes. I'm really not getting the drama here.

Archived