What wrestlers do you think were in the wrong era?

Papa Paul

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Papa Shango. Looking at how well the Boogeyman got over when he did, and the cult following Shango has today - I think he'd have been very entertaining in the mid 2000s.

Papa Shango. Looking at how well the Boogeyman got over when he did, and the cult following Shango has today - I think he'd have been very entertaining in the mid 2000s.

No way that Shango would have been more popular than Godfather, though...so that seems like a strange statement.

No way that Shango would have been more popular than Godfather, though...so that seems like a strange statement.

In these terms I'm talking about the gimmick. Obviously Godfather was mega over and in exactly the right era. Might have missed the point a bit, sorry.

CM Punk in the original ECW would have been unreal. Id even say Brock Lesnar in ECW woulda been sick too. Imagine him and Rhyno *censored*ing destroying each other under extreme rules for the title? Two brick shithouses going at, probably some epic stuff. Current Aj Styles in the SD Ruthless Agression era would have been some epic stuff with matches against Angle, Benoit, Eddie among others.

I don't think Big E would do well in the Hulkamania Era, because you know.

Goldberg. He shouldn't be in this Era.

Randy Savage, any Era without Hogan he would of been bigger.

Big E is big, has agility, charisma, and a spot move. He'd do well tbh, especially because of his charisma.

I think Tom Magee would be a huge deal in this day and age. I agree about Steve Blackman too.

What's Magee's best match that is online? I'm guessing something from All Japan?

No clue. They're hard to find and most people would be quick to say that they all suck.

I disagree though. Watch Tom Magee vs. Tim Horner on youtube. When his matches were built around flashy technical wrestling, he was decent. People shit on him for his comically bad striking, but that was his only major flaw. He could have easily improved on that anyway. Now that I think about it, Tom Magee probably would have been amazing in World of Sport.

There's a famous story about how he had some incredible match with Bret Hart that convinced everyone he was the next Hulk Hogan. Dave Meltzer said that it was the only good match he ever had, thanks to Bret. Unfortunately I don't think this match is available to watch anywhere. I'd love to see it.

Tom Magee was as green the day he left the business as the day he had his first televised match. He didn't have the drive to improve his craft. He was highly athletic, but couldn't sell.

Battlekat would have worked out anytime in wrestling after the early 90s. He was basically RVD before RVD. Not surprisingly, he was a big influence on RVD.

There's not a lot of current wrestlers I can see at earlier times. Ambrose and Wyatt would have been interesting in ECW. Burchill and Brent Albright might have fared better in today's wrestling. The same goes for indy stars like London, Bourne, Goldman, Kazarian, and Kaval. Bill Carr was in developmental years ago and I think could succeed in today's WWE. Big E would have been better off in the mid to late 00s. Rowan, Harper, and Strowman would have been fodder for 80s Hogan. The Revival would have been great in the 80s against teams like the Fantastics or the R and R Express.

I disagree though. Watch Tom Magee vs. Tim Horner on youtube. When his matches were built around flashy technical wrestling, he was decent. People shit on him for his comically bad striking, but that was his only major flaw. He could have easily improved on that anyway. Now that I think about it, Tom Magee probably would have been amazing in World of Sport.

There's a famous story about how he had some incredible match with Bret Hart that convinced everyone he was the next Hulk Hogan. Dave Meltzer said that it was the only good match he ever had, thanks to Bret. Unfortunately I don't think this match is available to watch anywhere. I'd love to see it.

Just watched Magee vs Horner and yeah dude looked green as goose shit but he did do some impressive stuff. He apparently had a TV match vs Taue in AJPW as well as a tag match vs Tsuruta and Misawa but I think only the tag match is avaible online. Might check it out, the dude's story has always interested me, tbh.

And yeah, I'd heard that Bret Hart match story apparently if you work for WWE you can ask them for tapes of everything they've got on their archive except for the Owen Hart tape and that Bret vs Magee match :lol:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan... that 2x4 he loved to carry around would've been a great go-to weapon in a Hardcore match.

He did win the WCW hardcore title a few times.

Would have done well in the Golden Era:

John Cena

Mike Awesome

Ezeiel Jackson

Mojo Rawley

Zack Ryder

Would have done well In the Attitude Era:

Dean Ambrose

Ricky Steamboat

Bray Wyatt & Luke Harper

Damien Sandow

Dashing/Undashing Cody Rhodes

Randy Savage

Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase

CM Punk

Batista

Kelly Kelly

LayCool

Would have done well in the Ruthless Aggression Era:

AJ Styles

Seth Rollins

CM Punk

Roddy Piper

Mr Perfect

Scott Hall

Sasha Banks

Charlotte

Sting

Bam Bam Bigalow

Daniel Bryan

Tazz

Jake the Snake Roberts

Randy Savage

Sasha Banks

Would have done better in Todays WWE

Rhyno

Kane

Rob Van Dam

Shane Douglas

Charlie Haas

Shelton Benjaman

MVP

Lance Storm

Steve Blackman

Ken Shamrock

Perry Saturn

Dean Malenko

Chris Benoit

Gail Kim

Molly Holly

Madusa

Daffney

Torrie Wilson

Melina

AJ Lee

Terri Runnels

Eve Torres

Well I should probably take Kane off because its not like he didn't have the opportunities offered to him. I heard he preferred putting people over so I doubt that would change in any other era.

Archived