Is chinaman a derscial slur

Ollie The Magic Bum

Is chinamen a racial slur  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is chinamen a racial slur?

Yes. Especially if the person is not actually Chinese.

And even if they are...I mean, how is it any different than saying "African man"? You would never just call someone "African man"...nor should you call them "China man". Definitely racist. The bit about "Frenchman" and "Englishman" certainly brings up questions of what is acceptable and why...but, I don't know...those are just different. Probably because French and English people refer to themselves that way. I don't believe Chinese people have ever referred to themselves as Chinamen...that slang definitely brings about visions of Chinese slave workers digging mines and shit...

It can be used in a derogatory way, but isn't it also just like calling someone an Englishman or Frenchmen or something?

It doesn't have to be a racial slur, but you can use it as one.

The similar terms you're looking for are Chineseman and Chinesemen and there's nowt wrong with those.

"Chinaman" is used as a slur for anyone, who looks distinctly East-(South-)Asian.

"Frenchman" and "Englishman" is not.

What if he's Scottish

What if you call someone a Scotch man...but you're talking about their preference of alcoholic beverage?

Oh believe me a Scot would know you're talking about alcohol even before the words leave your mouth

They have that habit

Dunno if it's so much racist as it is ignorant. You'd have to ask an Asian, more specifically the Chinese. If you called a Japanese, Taiwanese, Thai, Korean, even a Malay a chinaman, they won't dig it due to disassociation. Idiots always wanna assume the only Asian race is Chinese. Not their fault for not being able to know the difference, but don't just assume either

Archived