Same sex marriage - Church/Religion

PopUpPowerPost

These beliefs and rules are what Christianity is built upon. If a gay couple that believe in Christianity wanna get married then they need to accept that they can't get married in a church. If you are a Christian and gay, then you need to realise that what you have been brought up to believe doesn't suit your lifestyle anyway. It doesn't mean you have to stop believing in God. You need to realise that the natural instincts to love who you choose are right and the books that old men wrote hundreds of years after Jesus died are wrong. There are much nicer places to get married than churches anyway.

Not arguing here, I'm just interested in it. Would you feel the same way if you replace gays with a black person? Say there is a church that didn't want to marry two black people, would you consider it wrong or do you think they should accept it and move on?

But why would a black person want to belong to and marry inside such a place that doesn't want them there to begin with?

Catholicism as a belief system and a system of values is still practised by gay population I believe. And it can be practised without accepting the institution rules about this particular sexuality orientation.

The way I see it, it's not about rules or reward after life, it's about being a decent human being. I don't agree with strict interpretations of the bible, I see it as literature of sorts. There are great stories in there, and in each time and age, with progess of the society, it can be used to teach decent human values. It depends really. The institution of The Church is a complete different ballgame. So to those who say the world would be a better place without religion, I highly dount it, because peopel have for some quite time now substitued that ideology for something like, communism, facism, capitalism...individualism...there are lot to be named. And while I'm at that, I see (not here), many "agressive" ateist who bash people who follow a religion as stupid, and just use dumb arguments like: "oooh you believe in a man a sky, you are so dumb ha ha ha"...that's plain retarded in my book. And even tough I really really love George Carlin and his comedy, but people even cite his act about religion that they've seen on youtube and use that just to be outright offensive. But I digress....

The point is, I can see them wanting to get married in the church if they interpret the teachings in some other way than the institution does. And that instittion should honestly get on with the times, but since it is and has been for centuries this gold grubing insensiatble source of power...it's a hard thing to do. Just as that there is a difference between real ecision makings in Vatican and congergations. It's a complex thing, and has been here for centuries. So there's that also I guess....

?

And @ creep sometimes I quote and nothing comes up but a code! ?

These beliefs and rules are what Christianity is built upon. If a gay couple that believe in Christianity wanna get married then they need to accept that they can't get married in a church. If you are a Christian and gay, then you need to realise that what you have been brought up to believe doesn't suit your lifestyle anyway. It doesn't mean you have to stop believing in God. You need to realise that the natural instincts to love who you choose are right and the books that old men wrote hundreds of years after Jesus died are wrong. There are much nicer places to get married than churches anyway.

Not arguing here, I'm just interested in it. Would you feel the same way if you replace gays with a black person? Say there is a church that didn't want to marry two black people, would you consider it wrong or do you think they should accept it and move on?

But why would a black person want to belong to and marry inside such a place that doesn't want them there to begin with?

It's like using an example of someone who isn't white, making an issue to join KKK. A why would they? When the very institute, is against their race/life as a whole.

It's a very hard one.

Still waiting for someone whose Gay (so opinion is validated and live with in it) to give us a reply. Genuinely really intrigued on your opinion on the matter.

Religious beliefs, simple as.

And a nonwhite could want to join KKK because of same views and ideas.

He could, but his very inclusion would nullify and contradict everything they stand for, which I guess would be a reason for why such a person would want to be included; to damage or radically change that organization from within.

It's not that they all want to get married in a church specifically, but they just want the same rights that straight couples get. They obviously could get married elsewhere, but it's about the principle.

I understand that. But, having a right to get married in a church/mosque, which is against it, is wrong. Regardless if I think it's right or wrong, if you want to be devout Christian, you follow what's in the holy bible, same with being a Muslim and the Quran and in both, same sex relationships are punishment of hell.

I think, they need to create their own basis of religion, own house of worship, make sure they can get married there (of course they should be allowed to get married/have same rights.. Doesn't make sense not to). Obviously, you can't get married in a church or mosque, and why would you want to? As to them, what you're doing is wrong. Who cares, *Censored* it.

And that's never going to change.. Unless they rewrite the bible/Quran.. Which again, is not going to happen. Just evolve and adapt. Move away from it.

I think the main reason why some gay/lesbian couples want to get married in a church (or at least have a wedding blessed by a priest) is because they are believers themselves.

Which on the other hand again shows that they ignore some parts that are going against them.

Being able to get married should be a given in my opinion so if anything happens to your partner you will get informed and also for having the rights to act in certain situations when needed too.

For that though you don't need a church to give you their blessings and to be honest, if you wanna believe and be a christian, you don't need a church to do that, nor a bible that was translated and modified THAT heavily over the centuries that no one really knows if what is written in it is free translations from people that added their own "flavor" in it covering their own needs and beliefs in the process or not.

Alone the fact that there are different christian religions that are doing things differently from each other and have also several other groups around that are heavily jesus based instead of god based among other things shows that.

Not even to mention the different other religions around the world that have their own gods and entities to even start with.

I guess it comes down to their interpretation of things. Most Christians belief that homosexuality is a sin so they don't allow gay couples to marry in a church, but I guess some gay people interpret the teachings a different way and believe that it is not a sin given that God himself made them this way and that they are also Gods children and deserve the same rights and privileges as straight people. Again, it's all about interpretation of things and individual viewpoints. Who's to say who is correct about things and who is just full of shit?

The fact that no one's started a gay off-shoot of the christian church is really surprising to me. I would have thought someone would have a church already where Jesus has dyed pink hair and he's bleeding purple blood, there's scented candles everywhere, the pews are lined with velvet, and there is glitter in the holy water. I mean seriously, just do it, piss off all the "true" Christians, and have a happy old time.

The fact that no one's started a gay off-shoot of the christian church is really surprising to me. I would have thought someone would have a church already where Jesus has dyed pink hair and he's bleeding purple blood, there's scented candles everywhere, the pews are lined with velvet, and there is glitter in the holy water. I mean seriously, just do it, piss off all the "true" Christians, and have a happy old time.

I highly doubt that any gay person would do such a thing.

Most of all the ones that are christians and go to church.

It's not only because it would be too cliche but also because the majority isn't like that.

Though I understand that many people think like that because of the way we are mostly portraied in shows and movies or because of certain ones that are acting like that in the media.

See that's the thing I don't get. If their is gay bishops, then why not gay marriages?

At same time, how can you be a strong Christian/Catholic/Muslim, when even to this day (it's not like slavery where you can say it was wrong and outdated like the bible said was OK many times, slightly different and still a string percentage against gay marriage ) the religion is against your lifestyle, feelings and emotions and states, you are going to hell. Religion is a contradictive hypocritical mess BUT.. You either are or you aren't..

I believe in a higher being/power, that we're not evolved/nor suppose to know/understand etc.. No way I consider myself tied to a specific religion, because I have very different "opinions".

If I was gay, I wouldn't want to get married in a Christian church. You're basically condemned and tieing your connective love with your spouse, in a place as a whole, that is and will always be against your life. Nor could I consider myself a Catholic or Christian, as I am doing the very basis it hates/is against/classes a terrible sin and going to hell.

The way this is worded is as if gay's can't be christian. Meaning what if a person considered themselves christian but also happened to be gay? Why would they not want to be married in a church?

They absolutely can.

It's also not so black and white. Not all christians are against gay marriage. There are gay bishops.

and of course there is Christians/Muslims that think "it's stupid" and outdated concept.. But the same Christians for example believe the Holy Bible is Gods word on life etc, word by word.. You can't pick or choose what to believe in, you're sinning then logically anyway.

Is there any gay Gents/Ladies on here? Just genuinely intrigued at your view on the matter..

lolz me, i actually came out on caws.ws a few years back.

I'm gay and feel that if two men/women want to be married in a church then they should be able to. However I also don't feel that it's right for a church to have to change its views on same sex marriage. Surely there are churches that would marry a gay couple (right?), just gotta find one. It sucks that us gay folk have to look for a church that'll accept us, if we want to that is, but that's just how things currently are right now. Hopefully as time goes on people as a whole will become more accepting of not just gay people but in general. Until then some will just have to tough it out for a bit.

I'm not a religious guy and I personally don't care about getting married in a church but I am aware that it's a big deal to others.

It's not like I could walk into a church tomorrow with a chick and arrange a wedding either. I'm sure the priest needs to be sure you wanna get married there for the right reasons and not for the pretty photos. You'd probably have to attend the church for while too.

It's the same thing with Catholic schools. There is a great secondary school I wanted to get my daughter into but she was turned down because she wasn't a Catholic and didn't attend church. I understood this but the thing that pissed me off was that they accept Muslims. So discrimination laws allow Muslim kids to get into a Catholic school, however, it's okay to discriminate my daughter for being an atheist.

It's not like I could walk into a church tomorrow with a chick and arrange a wedding either. I'm sure the priest needs to be sure you wanna get married there for the right reasons and not for the pretty photos. You'd probably have to attend the church for while too.

It's the same thing with Catholic schools. There is a great secondary school I wanted to get my daughter into but she was turned down because she wasn't a Catholic and didn't attend church. I understood this but the thing that pissed me off was that they accept Muslims. So discrimination laws allow Muslim kids to get into a Catholic school, however, it's okay to discriminate my daughter for being an atheist.

Well...Muslims and Christians believe in the same god. It's the view on the prophets, were they differ.

Archived