Same sex marriage - Church/Religion

PopUpPowerPost

See it's been an issue for a while now that's reignited, especially in UK..

Someone's sexuality, regardless straight/homosexual, should only be relevant to you, if you're sexually attracted to the person/want a relationship etc.. Other than that, their sexuality is irrelevant. Judge someone based on that, dunno.. Weird...

BUT

I don't understand why same sex couples who want to get married, are making an issue that they can't in a church? A church is founded and is attached to traditions, based from Christianity that frowns heavily against same sex relations etc (to my knowledge). Same with Islam, it's heavily frowned upon. Fair enough, traditions etc..

Now, Church of England, was created 500+ years ago and adapted just so Henry VIII, can divorce his wife.. as it was "frowned upon".

If you are in a relationship, and want to get married to you partner of the same sex, maybe you should organise/create a branch of Christianity, that supports same sex marriage, has evolved from sexuality being relevant to society and invest in a place that's your church etc and go from there?

Because as it stands, Church of England/Catholics are strongly against same sex relations & their houses of religion are church's.. You can't expect them to throw one rule to the side, regardless if you agree with certain aspects or not.. (In my opinion). I don't understand, how you'd even want to get married in a church? That's founded from a book, that states you are going to hell anyway, because of it? And to my understanding, a vicar/priest that blesses same sex marriages (according to the bible) that they have heavily studied/committed their life & teachings too, will go to hell...

Whole debacle is odd to me..

You can't expect them to throw one rule to the side

You shouldn't expect them to, but that's literally what every religion does in some form or another. Hence the reason religion is so pointless, hypocritical and easy to be skewed to support one's personal belief or doctrine.

You can't expect them to throw one rule to the side

You shouldn't expect them to, but that's literally what every religion does in some form or another. Hence the reason religion is so pointless, hypocritical and easy to be skewed to support one's personal belief or doctrine.

ol of course. Totally agree.

It's not that they all want to get married in a church specifically, but they just want the same rights that straight couples get. They obviously could get married elsewhere, but it's about the principle.

I understand that. But, having a right to get married in a church/mosque, which is against it, is wrong. Regardless if I think it's right or wrong, if you want to be devout Christian, you follow what's in the holy bible, same with being a Muslim and the Quran and in both, same sex relationships are punishment of hell.

I think, they need to create their own basis of religion, own house of worship, make sure they can get married there (of course they should be allowed to get married/have same rights.. Doesn't make sense not to). Obviously, you can't get married in a church or mosque, and why would you want to? As to them, what you're doing is wrong. Who cares, *Censored* it.

And that's never going to change.. Unless they rewrite the bible/Quran.. Which again, is not going to happen. Just evolve and adapt. Move away from it.

The way this is worded is as if gay's can't be christian. Meaning what if a person considered themselves christian but also happened to be gay? Why would they not want to be married in a church?

They absolutely can.

It's also not so black and white. Not all christians are against gay marriage. There are gay bishops.

See that's the thing I don't get. If their is gay bishops, then why not gay marriages?

At same time, how can you be a strong Christian/Catholic/Muslim, when even to this day (it's not like slavery where you can say it was wrong and outdated like the bible said was OK many times, slightly different and still a string percentage against gay marriage ) the religion is against your lifestyle, feelings and emotions and states, you are going to hell. Religion is a contradictive hypocritical mess BUT.. You either are or you aren't..

I believe in a higher being/power, that we're not evolved/nor suppose to know/understand etc.. No way I consider myself tied to a specific religion, because I have very different "opinions".

If I was gay, I wouldn't want to get married in a Christian church. You're basically condemned and tieing your connective love with your spouse, in a place as a whole, that is and will always be against your life. Nor could I consider myself a Catholic or Christian, as I am doing the very basis it hates/is against/classes a terrible sin and going to hell.

The way this is worded is as if gay's can't be christian. Meaning what if a person considered themselves christian but also happened to be gay? Why would they not want to be married in a church?

They absolutely can.

It's also not so black and white. Not all christians are against gay marriage. There are gay bishops.

and of course there is Christians/Muslims that think "it's stupid" and outdated concept.. But the same Christians for example believe the Holy Bible is Gods word on life etc, word by word.. You can't pick or choose what to believe in, you're sinning then logically anyway.

Is there any gay Gents/Ladies on here? Just genuinely intrigued at your view on the matter..

There's a lot of things that are punishable with hell in christianity and other religions that many of their devotees are guilty of anyway, why should they get special treatment but people who love eachother don't? It's not even about the principle, its about blatant hypocrisy. If I remember correctly, two sayings from the bible are "hate the sin, not the sinner" and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Who the *Censored* are they to judge?

I'm genuinely not sure what to say

it's a weird one isn't it.

There's a lot of things that are punishable with hell in christianity and other religions that many of their devotees are guilty of anyway, why should they get special treatment but people who love eachother don't? It's not even about the principle, its about blatant hypocrisy. If I remember correctly, two sayings from the bible are "hate the sin, not the sinner" and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Who the *Censored* are they to judge?

Damn straight and totally agree. But something like this, like what you said, logically shits all over a constructed religion, so they won't allow..

If you're a Christian and you smoke, you're "logically" committing suicide, but at a very slow pace. You know it damages you, causes a shorter lifespan and can kill you, yet you still do it. Time is constructed by man, not God, so just cos it's over a period of time, doesn't make it any less.

If you worship God out of fear you're also sinning.

Oh it's weird.

To me, religion was created for the lower class/slaves to stop them turning and overthrowing. Gave them a set of rules to live by and when they had nothing, no money, clothes, or just a very hard life in general.. You pray. Religion gives you hope. Regardless of my life on this planet, I keep to the rules, I have all my desires fulfilled in Heaven, surrounded by my family and friends. ?

Hell, I'm left handed. 2017 years have gone by and for 1800/1900 years, I'd of been considered a "Devils minion" and hung from a tree/burned alive. (Although I'd curse em). My Nan who recently passed was 90 something. She was left handed and was whipped into learning to write with her right..

Religion is just weird.

These beliefs and rules are what Christianity is built upon. If a gay couple that believe in Christianity wanna get married then they need to accept that they can't get married in a church. If you are a Christian and gay, then you need to realise that what you have been brought up to believe doesn't suit your lifestyle anyway. It doesn't mean you have to stop believing in God. You need to realise that the natural instincts to love who you choose are right and the books that old men wrote hundreds of years after Jesus died are wrong. There are much nicer places to get married than churches anyway.

These beliefs and rules are what Christianity is built upon. If a gay couple that believe in Christianity wanna get married then they need to accept that they can't get married in a church. If you are a Christian and gay, then you need to realise that what you have been brought up to believe doesn't suit your lifestyle anyway. It doesn't mean you have to stop believing in God. You need to realise that the natural instincts to love who you choose are right and the books that old men wrote hundreds of years after Jesus died are wrong. There are much nicer places to get married than churches anyway.

Not arguing here, I'm just interested in it. Would you feel the same way if you replace gays with a black person? Say there is a church that didn't want to marry two black people, would you consider it wrong or do you think they should accept it and move on?

It's not that they all want to get married in a church specifically, but they just want the same rights that straight couples get. They obviously could get married elsewhere, but it's about the principle.

I understand that. But, having a right to get married in a church/mosque, which is against it, is wrong. Regardless if I think it's right or wrong, if you want to be devout Christian, you follow what's in the holy bible, same with being a Muslim and the Quran and in both, same sex relationships are punishment of hell.

I think, they need to create their own basis of religion, own house of worship, make sure they can get married there (of course they should be allowed to get married/have same rights.. Doesn't make sense not to). Obviously, you can't get married in a church or mosque, and why would you want to? As to them, what you're doing is wrong. Who cares, *Censored* it.

And that's never going to change.. Unless they rewrite the bible/Quran.. Which again, is not going to happen. Just evolve and adapt. Move away from it.

Isnt that what they did with the new testiment?

I'd feel the same way for any person that is discriminated against. Why would you want to be part of anything (not just religion) that doesn't accept you?

Because they used to not accept a lot of other things, until it became inconvenient.

Still getting used to the quotes

"Would you feel the same way if you replace gays with a black person? Say there is a church that didn't want to marry two black people, would you consider it wrong or do you think they should accept it and move on?".

Don't think you're arguing chap! Same, genuinely intrigued to hear people's views. Hard example, firstly is there anything in the bible, that states restrictions on marriage based on ethnicity? Race is completely kettle of fish. (I do understand your concept on it but in bible terms, it's a sexual matter). I don't judge people based on sexuality, so to then define a person in a "seperate group" just because of who they're sexually attracted to, defeats the purpose anyway and takes 10 steps back.

I see a comment about the New Testament (this isn't my knowledge not being a smart arse, literally just googled it ha), the only difference with the New Testamant, is it includes more religion work/letters/writings that was found from the era the bible was made. Wasn't (I don't think) to change things or take a sin away. I know for example, in the bible, certain pieces where slavery was "ok". But difference from slavery, is it wasn't considered a sin so can be "evolved from". Whereas certain sexual things are considered sins. If they wipe this from the bible, what about masturbating (we're all going to HELL!) etc etc..

Best solution (imo), branch out - and create a new religion, like Henry did so he could divorce.

(Read an article today, and outbreak of herpes in a part of New York, the circumcision tradition in certain Jewish communities, where they suck the blood/wound of the child's penis, to clean it.. It's 2017, and if that's deemed ok (the article didn't state it was wrong or against it, just focused on the herpes outbreak) there is no way in hell, a religion is going to change its view on what is considered "sexual sinning" unfortunately. Be a chain affect, they do not want to have.. But at same time, *Censored* it. Put your head held high, *Censored* get married in a place that condemns you having a relationship with your love/soulmate etc.

I personally don't understand why someone who is gay would want to get married in a church (unless it's like to flip off religion, I guess, which is fair enough) but since churches receive benefits from the state, discrimination in any capacity is unacceptable.

Catholicism as a belief system and a system of values is still practised by gay population I believe. And it can be practised without accepting the institution rules about this particular sexuality orientation.

The way I see it, it's not about rules or reward after life, it's about being a decent human being. I don't agree with strict interpretations of the bible, I see it as literature of sorts. There are great stories in there, and in each time and age, with progess of the society, it can be used to teach decent human values. It depends really. The institution of The Church is a complete different ballgame. So to those who say the world would be a better place without religion, I highly dount it, because peopel have for some quite time now substitued that ideology for something like, communism, facism, capitalism...individualism...there are lot to be named. And while I'm at that, I see (not here), many "agressive" ateist who bash people who follow a religion as stupid, and just use dumb arguments like: "oooh you believe in a man a sky, you are so dumb ha ha ha"...that's plain retarded in my book. And even tough I really really love George Carlin and his comedy, but people even cite his act about religion that they've seen on youtube and use that just to be outright offensive. But I digress....

The point is, I can see them wanting to get married in the church if they interpret the teachings in some other way than the institution does. And that instittion should honestly get on with the times, but since it is and has been for centuries this gold grubing insensiatble source of power...it's a hard thing to do. Just as that there is a difference between real ecision makings in Vatican and congergations. It's a complex thing, and has been here for centuries. So there's that also I guess....

Archived