The Rock and WWE Studios Teaming Up for Movie on Paige and Her Family

Ziggy Vercetti

"The Rock announced today that his Seven Bucks Productions has partnered with WWE Studios and Film 4 to release a new movie on Paige and her family of pro wrestlers.

Rock wrote the following on Facebook:

BREAKING: Our Seven Bucks Productions is excited to announce production on a cool project we've been working on for years based on a very unique and gritty professional wrestling family and a their daughter's journey into the spotlight of the WWE.

Years ago (2012) while shooting Fast & Furious in London, I was up at 3am (too much caffeine) and stumbled upon a documentary on a UK station about a local wrestling family and their daughter's unlikely journey into the global spotlight. That daughter, is current WWE Women's Superstar, Paige. The family element I saw in the doc, is what grabbed my attention. That no matter how crazy life gets, no matter how dysfunctional our families can sometimes be and especially regardless of how much we fight - we're always there for each other when it counts. That's what families do.

My gut said there was a great movie to be made so I sent to my agent Brad Slater at WME who loved it. He sent it to my long time ace producer Kevin Misher, who immediately responded to the doc and he thought we should go after one of our favorite writer/directors for material like this, Stephen Merchant.

Merchant, being from the UK, locked in to a strong POV and vision of how gritty and heartfelt this film needs to be and the rest is history.

Pleasure to partner with WWE Studios and Film 4 to bring this great story to life.

Ive been buds with Paige for years now and we're all excited to bring her and her family's story to life.

Cool casting announcements coming this week!"

#FightingWithMyFamily #SevenBucksProds

#MisherFilms #WWEFilms #Film4

wdqiVOJ.png

Source LOP

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really get why Paige and her family get the reception that they do. I was cool with the fact that there was already a documentary about her and her family...I thought it was interesting. But, another one? Complete overkill. Honestly, her family are a bunch of nobodies. It's not like they're wrestling royalty or something. It was an interesting story to hear once...but it's not something that commends a WWE studios film (which I say mainly for time and resource reasons...not because WWE studios is such a prestigious name that has better things to do).

I'm waiting for some typical Hollywood executive to start tampering and suggest Paige should be from the US as "it will be more relatable".

To be honest, Paige's family didn't come off too well in that documentary, well her brother didn't. Wonder if they'll skirt around the whole Del Rio thing.

And that's another problem that I have with this movie...

If Paige had been putting work in, and was the current champion...or even prominent on the roster in the slightest, then I could see the draw for it...but she's been gone for how long? I'd rather see a movie about Natalya, tbh. Which is saying quite a bit...because the Nattie story is like the Spiderman origin story at this point...everyone knows about the dungeon and shit. But, yeah...I'd rather watch that. :lol:

And that's another problem that I have with this movie...

If Paige had been putting work in, and was the current champion...or even prominent on the roster in the slightest, then I could see the draw for it...but she's been gone for how long? I'd rather see a movie about Natalya, tbh. Which is saying quite a bit...because the Nattie story is like the Spiderman origin story at this point...everyone knows about the dungeon and shit. But, yeah...I'd rather watch that. :lol:

At least with the Nattie movie you'd get Teddy Hart doing weird shit as a cameo

"As noted, The Rock announced today that his Seven Bucks Productions company is partnering with WWE Studios and Film 4 to release a movie based on Paige and her family of pro wrestlers in the UK. The movie is inspired by the "The Wrestlers: Fighting With My Family" documentary seen above. You can check out Rock's full announcement on why he's getting involved with the movie at this link.
Deadline reports that the comedy-drama will use the same "Fighting With My Family" title as the documentary. The Rock will have a role in the movie while rising actress Florence Pugh will star as Paige. Actor Jack Lowden will star as her brother Zak.
Rock, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia will executive produce the movie while Kevin Misher of Misher Films will produce with WWE Studios President Michael Luisi. WWE Studios will be co-financing the movie along with Film 4. The movie is expected to begin filming in London and Los Angeles this month.
Deadline notes that the movie "follows the story of reformed gangster and former wrestler Ricky, his wife Julia, daughter Saraya and son Zak who make a living performing in tiny venues across the country. Ricky and Julia want a better life for their children and when brother and sister get the chance to audition for the WWE, it seems the family dream is coming true and all their troubles will be solved. However, Saraya and Zak are about to learn that becoming a WWE Superstar demands more than they ever imagined possible as athletes and siblings."
Below is a photo of the actress playing Paige:
aMOf3wI.jpg
Paige reacted to the news on Twitter:

Exciting project just been announced. Thx to @TheRock and @StephenMerchant for giving my family a chance to shine! Forever thankful! ??????

Thanks to @WWE and #MichaelLuisi #KevinMisher for being apart of the movie also. Never thought this could happen. Couldn't be happier ???

Source LOP

Maybe not directly related to the topic, but it's about Paige.

WWE superstar Paige could go from sports entertainment to REAL DEAL FIGHTING ... telling TMZ Sports she's seriously considering a move to MMA.

We spoke with 2 time WWE Divas champ and her boyfriend, Alberto Del Rio -- who happens to be running the rapidly growing Combate Americas MMA league.

Alberto -- who did some MMA fighting back in the day --- shot down any hope of returning to action, but said there's a real chance Paige gets in the cage.

In fact, 24-year-old Paige says she's been training like crazy and says she'll seriously consider making the move "when my time with WWE comes to an end."

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/08/paige-mma-alberto-del-rio-wwe/

There's is NO way that Paige has the discipline to be an MMA fighter. Holy shit...I usually give people their fair chance when they say they want to do MMA...but Paige? Yeah, no. The biggest piece of the pro-fighting puzzle is mental clarity...and I think it goes without saying that Paige lacks that in a big way.

Luckily, that all sounded more like a bit of banter than any actual claims of making a career of it. Also, Paige and Del Rio's relationship is starting to make me super uncomfortable. Like, we get it...you're boning Paige. No need to make jokes to the TMZ guy about paying her in dick...

Man I forgot how hot Paige is... And now I miss her on TV. Hopefully this movie deal is a sign that Paige is still planning on returning to WWE once her injury heals up.

Although Del Rio comes across as the bitter guy trying to convince his girlfriend to take a different path because he's still salty over the WWE. And unfortunately Paige seems like the kind of girl who can be swayed easily.

I have a feeling this is just the WWE sucking up to The Rock and doing whatever he wants. If anyone besides him suggested this they would probably get shot down quick. The fact that it's happening this close to Wrestlemania is probably more than a mere coincidence.

Archived