Resident Evil (Series)

Ernez

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just a shame to me, that Resident Evil left behind its roots...because there really isn't anything that plays like that anymore. Resident Evil 4 may have been seen as an innovator in games...with that "over the shoulder" camera, etc...but I think the current direction of the series leaves much to be desired in terms of paving its own way. There are certainly other games that play like RE4, and 5, and 6, and now 7. I think 7 has done more to be unique than 4,5, and 6 did...but there are still other games out there that have that "being chased" gameplay. Nothing feels like the classics in terms of solving puzzles, managing supplies, the music, the atmosphere, the suspense, everything. The only games that really compared to the Early RE games were things like Silent Hill or Parasite Eve...and those were legendary games in their own right.

All that classic shit is in 7, actually.

Anyone beat it on Madhouse? It was such a *censored*ing challenge

It's just a shame to me, that Resident Evil left behind its roots...because there really isn't anything that plays like that anymore. Resident Evil 4 may have been seen as an innovator in games...with that "over the shoulder" camera, etc...but I think the current direction of the series leaves much to be desired in terms of paving its own way. There are certainly other games that play like RE4, and 5, and 6, and now 7. I think 7 has done more to be unique than 4,5, and 6 did...but there are still other games out there that have that "being chased" gameplay. Nothing feels like the classics in terms of solving puzzles, managing supplies, the music, the atmosphere, the suspense, everything. The only games that really compared to the Early RE games were things like Silent Hill or Parasite Eve...and those were legendary games in their own right.

Anyone beat it on Madhouse? It was such a *censored*ing challenge

Those 2 fat molded at the end by the ladder with the trip mines was the worst.

I completely agree, aside from you saying that RE7 has done more to be unique. RE4 was easily the most unique out of the four. There was nothing like RE4 at the time. It was very innovative, whereas RE7 basically plays like Outlast, with RE elements sprinkled on top.

Not really. Its RE elements are mostly superficial, almost as if the developers are saying, "Hey, guys, there's herbs and item management. It's like the old games now!" There's much more to Resident Evil than that. The "puzzles" are a complete joke, the game is deceptively linear, and the item management is trivial, given how many supplies the game throws at you.

The RE elements feel more like little homages, rather than meaningful implementations.

...and I've ran out of bullets countless times.

Then either you're not very good at video games, or I'm amazing at video games. The former is more plausible, I'd wager.

You can run and hide BUT you also always have the option of fighting. That's just a lazy complaint. Giving you a choice is different from simply running like in Alien or Outlast.

I wasn't being completely literal when I said that it plays like Outlast - I meant that in a broader sense. What I mean is that it follows that similar "feel" of Outlast, gameplay-wise, originally popularized by the likes of Amnesia; the whole 'first-person, slow-moving, gimped character'. It's the same design, but with the option of defending yourself. That addition alone does little to make the game stand on its own merits and separate itself from its contemporaries. It's uninspired.

Play it on a harder difficulty if that's a huge issue.

I believe that would require me to actually beat the game on the default difficulty first, which I'm not going to do, because the game is a bore. Besides, artificially inflating the difficulty does nothing to solve my primary gripes with the game.

The puzzles are a joke? "Happy Birthday" to me..."Bedroom"...those weren't jokes.

I've only played through half of the game, so I don't know what you're referring to. In any case, a couple of examples is trivial. The majority of the time, it's blatantly obvious how to progress, and requires little thought or strategy.
For some perspective, my favorite Resident Evil game is the REmake. There were many, many occasions where I had to pause and consider my strategy. "What path(s) should I take? Which of these rooms should I check first? Should I hold on to these ambiguous items or store them away? Should I even kill these zombies, or try to avoid them? If I kill them, they're going to resurrect later on, so is it worth the risk?" Etc.
These feelings were further amplified by the fact that saves were limited, and there were no checkpoints. If you died, you had to reload your game. Death was serious, which increased the sense of dread.
These feelings are almost entirely absent in RE7. It's the REmake for retards.

No point of debating this since we obviously feel differently and I think your mind is set (so is mine). It's a lot better than 5 and 6. Only major issue is how short it is.

My mind is never set on anything. You're copping out by preemptively deeming this futile, for no good reason.
I don't consider it better than 5, actually. It's a better "Resident Evil" game, yes, but it's not a better game in general. That's a different discussion entirely, though.

@ Purple Rayne

Resident Evil 7 is a helluva lot better than what you're saying. It ain't even close to being a bad game.

'Deceptively linear'? All RE games are linear. You're saying it like it's betrayed this spiralling, open world series. This game is everything fans of the first couple of games could've hoped for from a new RE game. Resident Evil 4 was the start of shitstorm that eventually turned into Resident Evil 6. 4 was a good game but wasn't a good 'Resident Evil' game. 7 has gone back to it's roots and that is the best thing they could've done.

@ Purple Rayne

Resident Evil 7 is a helluva lot better than what you're saying. It ain't even close to being a bad game.

I don't consider it a bad game - I consider a painfully mediocre, derivative game.

'Deceptively linear'? All RE games are linear.

Not at all. In the REmake, right from the get-go, you're faced with many different paths, rooms, etc., and have no idea what the hell you're supposed to be doing. The mansion was a big mystery. Upon exploration, there were a handful of broad objectives that you'd eventually come to realize, but the manner/order in which you completed them was pretty much up to you. There was a lot of strategy and planning, in terms of how you wanted to go about doing it. Which routes to take, which enemies to avoid or kill, which items to bring with you, when to save your game, etc.
RE7 attempts to emulate these things, but does so in an insultingly simplistic, stream-lined manner.

This game is everything fans of the first couple of games could've hoped for from a new RE game.

Absolutely f***ing not. Not even close. It bears little resemblance to the old games. Beyond superficial inclusions like herbs, the only thing that it has in common with the old games is the genre. That's it.

Why, because you're a baby and dislike dissenting opinions? It's a perfectly fine, non-vitriolic debate. You're acting as if I'm mindlessly trolling or something.

If you're only interested in a circle-jerk, then stop engaging me. I said my peace in my original post - I'm only continuing to post because I'm replying to you guys.

Hell, if anything, you should be glad that I'm posting, 'cause this thread was basically dead. I breathed some life into it.

For the record, you didn't specify that it was on the hardest difficulty. In any case, speculating that you're not very good at video games is hardly throwing shots. It's a pretty mild statement. Most gamers are not very good at video games. Don't take it so personally.

I find it bizarre that you're so convinced that it's a futile discussion, given that you hardly even tried. Hell, you even closed out your very first response with, "No point in debating this." With that attitude, of course there's no point. The problem is clearly with you, not me.

If you were prepared to declare the debate pointless, right out of the gate, then I don't know why you even bothered engaging me in the first place. Your behavior is silly.

You're the one who quoted me dude. I responded because you dismissed what I said EVEN THOUGH I wasn't wrong in saying it

You were wrong in saying it. I explained why, and you've made no attempt to refute me. You immediately bowed out as soon as I elaborated and gave you a meatier response.

I mentioned the "play on a harder difficulty" thing because that's where you have to plan your actions and blah, blah, blah. The default mode can be beaten by any average gamer (and I understand why they made it accessible to everyone). In Madhouse, you don't have checkpoints (aside from a few select boss battles) and need to make use of your storage.

Apparently not, because a buddy of mine is comfortably managing a knife-only playthrough on Madhouse right now. He's not even an exceptional gamer, by my standards, and he's apparently pulling that off (so far, anyway). This confirms my earlier suspicion: you're either not very good at video games, or I'm amazing at video games.
I don't care which of those two is the explanation. You can either take a potential blow to the ego, or compliment me.

I honestly thought the puzzles that I mentioned were way better than the ones in 4 (which I replayed right before). There are some shitty ones though. If you haven't got to the "Happy Birthday" puzzle, I recommend checking it out.

4's "puzzles" (that's putting it mildly) were mostly complete jokes. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two that were okay. Having better puzzles than 4 is hardly an accomplishment.
Why do you keep referencing the recent entries in the series? I'm comparing RE7 to the old games (the REmake, especially), as RE7 was supposed to be a return to the series' roots.
The "Happy Birthday" puzzle is serviceable (I looked it up, and I certainly don't think it's bad). The problem is that puzzles of that caliber were found all throughout the old games. Back then, they were the standard. Now, they're the exception. The gold nuggets buried in a sea of shit, if you will.

They are there. I'm not wrong that they are there. It is a fact that they are there.

Such as? You seem to be very confident in your position - as am I. The difference, though, is that I'm the only one who's actually made a substantive case for my position, whereas you have done nothing but be dismissive and assertive.

I've done everything I can to make this productive. You have not.

Or do you know more than the people who made the *censored*ing game?

Apparently, yes.

It's just not up to your standards. Your opinions aren't facts.

What have I claimed that isn't demonstrably true?

The condescending way you word shit is embarrassing dude. You come off as an obnoxious loser who has to go on the internet and talk down to people who really enjoy something they don't. I really hope there's more to your life than being an "amazing gamer" who cries about the new never being as good as the old.

I don't care about your armchair psychology. Is it really this challenging for you to simply have a debate? I propose an argument, you follow up with a refutation. It's a very straight-forward process, no?

You seem to lack the emotional maturity to handle this. Is this how you normally behave when someone says something divisive?

I just told you that the people who made the game have directly supported what I said. That's beyond a substantive case lmao.

"The makers said so, therefore, it must be true."

That's a fallacy.

What exactly is productive about you endlessly bitching about a game you don't like?

I've presented a perfectly reasonable case. There's nothing bitchy about it whatsoever. You see bitching because you want to see bitching. It's a way for you to justify writing me off, because that's easier than actually refuting me (which, at this point, I'm convinced you cannot do, given your incessant dodging).
This would be the equivalent of me writing you off by declaring that you're just a mindless fanboy who's incapable of seeing any flaws in the game. It's childish nonsense.

I just told you that the people who made the game have directly supported what I said. That's beyond a substantive case lmao.

"The makers said so, therefore, it must be true."

That's a fallacy.

What exactly is productive about you endlessly bitching about a game you don't like?

I've presented a perfectly reasonable case. There's nothing bitchy about it whatsoever. You see bitching because you want to see bitching. It's a way for you to justify writing me off, because that's easier than actually refuting me (which, at this point, I'm convinced you cannot do, given your incessant dodging).
This would be the equivalent of me writing you off by declaring that you're just a mindless fanboy who's incapable of seeing any flaws in the game. It's childish nonsense.

Seriously, wth man? Why are you so serious about this? He stated his opinion on liking the game, and you stated yours about not liking it. He kept trying to explain why he liked it and you went off like you're stating a fact. Calm down and let people enjoy the game.

He stated his opinion on liking the game, and you stated yours about not liking it. He kept trying to explain why he liked it and you went off like you're stating a fact.

By "went off," you mean debate? An entirely normal thing to do when discussing the quality of a video game? I haven't said anything emotionally-charged or vitriolic. I stated my case for why I don't like it, then he responded with a rebuttal, and then I responded with my rebuttal. That was the extent of him "trying to explain." Since then, he's derailed the conversation, avoided addressing my points, made it personal, etc.

Has this place really become so stagnant and passive over the years that you guys can't handle a simple debate?

Anyway, like I said before, if you guys aren't interested in that sort of thing, then just don't engage me. It's really that easy.

He stated his opinion on liking the game, and you stated yours about not liking it. He kept trying to explain why he liked it and you went off like you're stating a fact.

By "went off," you mean debate? An entirely normal thing to do when discussing the quality of a video game? I haven't said anything emotionally-charged or vitriolic. I stated my case for why I don't like it, then he responded with a rebuttal, and then I responded with my rebuttal. That was the extent of him "trying to explain." Since then, he's derailed the conversation, avoided addressing my points, made it personal, etc.

Has this place really become so stagnant and passive over the years that you guys can't handle a simple debate?

Anyway, like I said before, if you guys aren't interested in that sort of thing, then just don't engage me. It's really that easy.

No, your first post "debating" is saying "It's a remake for retards" That's not debating, it's being a jerk.

Which then Respect The Beard completely ignores your post and goes on. To which you reply to Shindol with hostility just because he thinks it's something a fan could have wanted out of a game. Then you go on to call them Respect The Beard a baby...yet he was trying to explain why he enjoyed the game. Yet you verbally attacked him, This wasn't a debate, it was you being angry someone likes a video game.

Haven't seen this childish behavior before from you and it kinda shocked me. If you have anything else to say, you can PM me so we don't go off topic.

Archived