Lucha Libre Discussion Thread

AlterNation

^ I see Aerostar with a badass attire in that pic. Also, is that PJ Black right next to him? And Octagon, is he just there to honor Pena or is with AAA right now, last I checked he was working matches for Liga Elite and trying to get his son signed to CMLL?

Is it possible that it's Octagoncito? Could be the angle of the photo but it looks like La parka is towering over him, and he's only 6'1"

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if there is a season 4 and beyond it won't be the same, guys like Pentagon, Fenix, Sexy Star, Jack Evans, Prince Puma, Rey Misterio, these guys are probably gone from AAA and definitely gone from LU. I don't want Lucha Uderground to turn into "Indy Underground" and have a bunch of talented but not lucha at all guys from the independent circuit, unless you slap on a mask on them!

I could see New Japan trying to lock up Prince Puma (Ricochet) for a few years as they attempt to expand into the United States.

I

^ I see Aerostar with a badass attire in that pic. Also, is that PJ Black right next to him? And Octagon, is he just there to honor Pena or is with AAA right now, last I checked he was working matches for Liga Elite and trying to get his son signed to CMLL?

Is it possible that it's Octagoncito? Could be the angle of the photo but it looks like La parka is towering over him, and he's only 6'1"

Didn't think about Octagoncito. Yeah probably him.

Even if there is a season 4 and beyond it won't be the same, guys like Pentagon, Fenix, Sexy Star, Jack Evans, Prince Puma, Rey Misterio, these guys are probably gone from AAA and definitely gone from LU. I don't want Lucha Uderground to turn into "Indy Underground" and have a bunch of talented but not lucha at all guys from the independent circuit, unless you slap on a mask on them!

I could see New Japan trying to lock up Prince Puma (Ricochet) for a few years as they attempt to expand into the United States.

I don't think Ricochet wants to be locked up by anyone, he want's to finally get into WWE. I wouldn't mind New Japan getting him so that he could tour with/against CMLL and have some more great matches vs Volador Jr.

The Solowrestling team has had the pleasure of interviewing the renowned Mexican wrestler Dulce Garcia. Best known for playing the character of Sexy Star and currently performing as Sexy Dulce. Garcia is perhaps the most recognized female Mexican wrestler in the last decades. Being one of the faces of its division in the company Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide (AAA). Besides gaining worldwide fame thanks to the program Lucha Underground, where she was crowned the maximum champion.

Currently following her departure from AAA, and revealing her identity. She prepares for what will be her debut in the world of boxing, so she took the opportunity to comment with us on his career and future.

We have to start with what has been talked about the most. Since announcing your intention to venture into boxing you have had to deny multiple reports about your retirement from the wrestling world. This has continued for several months and we have to ask, Why so many reports on this, have you thought about it?

“More like I don’t understand why so many people are saying that. I never said that in any interview that I gave. I think it was a misunderstanding on the media’s behalf. When it happens that I present myself unmasked and make my real name known, it’s because I have a dream that I am fighting for and want to accomplish.

If God allows it, it will happen on the 22nd of April, to be able to box. I never said at any moment, some media outlet around there were the ones that mentioned or reported that ‘Sexy Star leaves the mask for the gloves’ or something like that. That was what led to the confusion, becasue I never made the comment that I was going to leave wrestling.

Yes, I had to get away from it a little and I’ve been on only a few shows. I thank all the promoters and people that have called from companies that have wanted to take me to their country. I just haven’t been able to, because I’ve been focusing on my boxing training.

I have had only a few appearances for wrestling because those were dates I had already agreed to work from a long while back and I decided to fullfil those because I don’t like to take back what I had agreed on. But all that talk about me going to retire? No. I think wrestling saved my life. I owe it everything. I can say that the ring is my life. It is not my house. It is my life. Right now I don’t feel any motive to do it. I made a comment about it in an interview, that if I’m in boxing. A sport that demmands a very strong physical preparaition, then I think that my body is ready for the day that I return to wrestling and it will be with no problem.”

Last year you left AAA and there was a lot of mystery surrounding your exit. From one side there were reports of your retirement, but at the same time there was some uncertainty stemming from your absence from television.

Would you have liked to have left on better terms?

“Well look, what happened here was, when the project of Lucha Underground was presented, that demanded more time. I had to go away, sometimes I would be gone for a week. Sometimes every weekend to travel for the tapings. I am a mother. I have my little beautiful daughter. So I decided to fulfill that commitment that I had with them. I thought that was opening doors and presenting new challenges for me. In AAA I felt that I had nowhere to go. It was all the same.

The women in AAA were not a lot. We were few and we didn’t get the same attention that we got in Lucha Underground, where I was able to show more than I got to in AAA. So I decided to go all in on Lucha Underground and ask not to work in Mexico as much. So I could be with my daughter.

So I think there was a lack on information there that goes hand in hand with me unmasking and giving out my real name. I did it for everyone. Out of respect for everyone and because I love this. I love my mask and I love Sexy Star. I respect her a lot. The most valuable thing for a Mexican wrestler is the mask. I did it because sooner or later the people were going to find out who I was. With the media and internet today, it’s a monster that can bring good and bad things.

I knew that it was going to get out immediately when I would make my dream come true and fight. All the world would find out who I was. I decided that I would take it upon myself to grab the bull by the horns and announce who I was and why I was doing it. It was all to make my dream come true. Now that I have stopped working AAA shows, it’s because I don’t own the Sexy Star character. That is property of AAA. Dorian Roldan created it. I think that might be the first character that he created since started there. We both joined AAA at around the same time. So I knew that it didn’t belong to me. When something doesn’t belong to you, it’s better to give it back. That is what really happened.

This is a delicate question, but as an ex-AAA and female wrestler, you are probably the best person to answer it. We have been finding out problems and details about some alleged cases of sexual harassment in the company surrounding referee “Copetes” Salazar.

This is thanks to testimonials from some of your colleagues. Did you experience or have you witnessed any incidents of this kind?

The truth is that I personally never had any incidents of this kind. I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of person you are and the respect you make people give you. Even if at some point, and not anything else in AAA but anywhere that such situations exist. When you are a woman and simply being one can cause harassment to exist in any place. I think one marks their limits and puts a stop to it. As a woman, you can feel something when things take a different direction. In this case it’s harassment we’re talking about. You put a stop to it and you learn how to put a stop to it.

It has worked for me very well and I had not had to pass through a situation like that. Believe me that it was a lot to go through in my everyday life. It got to the point that I thought about committing suicide. To take my own life over a man. So I have sense that if I feel any kind of aggression from the opposite sex, I will immediately act on it. What ever it is to avoid it and get away from those people. I think that if I have been in the company for 10 years, it’s because I was in a good state. I don’t think anything happened in my case.

Speaking of the subject of people making declarations. Every person can say how it went for them at the fair. I respect my colleagues and every one knows why things happen and what they said.

Before you left AAA, you were booked for a match where you would defend you mixed tag titles along with Pentagon Jr. but, you were out with an injury during this time. You were not present and after the match they (AAA) inactivated the titles.

What happened on that occasion? You were resting. Did you communicate with AAA to inform them that you were not going to show up?

“Yes. Well, their stories and matches that are made a long time before they happen, but things happen that can change the direction they go in. I was hurt. I could not go and be part of that match. I have said it man times that I would not be able to be there. Maybe it would have been best for the promoter or promoters that were in charge of that show to make the announcement. Because the person that is going to end up looking bad is the wrestler.

In this case there were people who started attacking me, not many really, but they came to say things like 'oh yes, you are full of yourself because you are an international star’ and all those things. I was just watching what was going on. I never said those things. I said I could not go to that event and they carried on. That’s not my fault. I was open to go and deliver it (the championship) but, it could not be done. It was the same when I had the Queen of Queens Championship. I never lost that championship. I had to retire because I was pregnant. I would have loved to be there to hand it over when the tournament was made. But it was not possible either and it was not my fault. It’s already circumstances that are not up to me and they do not correspond to me. With the mixed tag championships, I think the same thing happened”.

Now that you mention that you defended the Queen of Queens championship with your daughter present. Should we consider her the youngest champion? Maybe you were cheating because you were fighting two against one.

“Of course! [Laughs] I like that my effort for this sport is seen in things like being the first to do something. To the extent that when I was pregnant I went to defend the championship (Queen of Queens AAA) in Japan. I went to fulfill the commitment. It was the first time that the championship left the country. I was the champion at that moment and I was pregnant. I left with my hand up. I returned with the belt and imagine, for me it was the greatest satisfaction because it is an anecdote that I can tell my daughter when she grows up, 'You helped me win!’ [Laughs] ”.

Your trajectory has not only been through AAA, but Lucha Underground as well. Where you are one of the primary characters. How did you arrive to form part of this project?

“Yes, the truth is that it’s a project that I had been talking about for a long time with Dorian Roldán. It was something he had in mind for a long time and I think he did not take his finger off the line. He succeeded. Everything settled down in it’s time because it was months after I had my daughter. So it was at the perfect time for me. Opportunities come because they have to arrive. When it’s for you, it’s for you. I was already in the best shape and had recovered my body, strength, everything. When the project was taking shape Dorian talked it over with me.

I thank him because he trusted me and my talent. I think he with his US partners and producers put his elements and pushed for us. For me it was an honor and a pride to be a part of it, because I was one of the first five people who were in the project. Fenix, Pentagon (Jr.), Hijo del Fantasma, Drago and I. It seems to me that we were the first ones called. Also I consider that my life story was interesting to them. How I started to wrestle and other things that caught their attention. That they could do something great with that story and that’s what I think happened. ”

You can not talk about Lucha Underground without mentioning their mixed wrestling. Which are novel for their audience but, not for the Mexican. Even some have been scandalized like the one you had, the No Mas Match or some between men and women.

Do you think that part of that controversy was because the public was not accustomed? What could change their perception?

“I think it’s something that’s partly that but it’s also a way of showing people that they do not have to be closed off to that. Because the audience of Lucha Underground is who it is. Here in Mexico, not because it is where these fights, mixed, with minis, exotico, I won, for example, the hair from an exotico. The best in Mexico and it was frowned upon. But as you say, people who are not accustomed to seeing such wrestling are surprised. As if they question that a woman is fighting a man and I think they are surprised because they always saw women as the weak sex. Literally as the weak sex.

Not as delicate or feminine but weak. It is very marked by machismo that we are really weak and we have to be commanded by a man. I remember that the woman there were always used for matches only to slap them. To grab them from the hair. To humiliate them. That is the word. I love the idea of ??being one of the first, pioneers to break with that line of thinking. Because for that reason, I am in wrestling. For that anger and hatred at that moment because I no longer feel hatred towards a Man. For the psychological abuse he put me through. So I think that today there are still many women physically abused who remain silent. For me it is a way of saying 'I’m going to button my boots, I’m going to climb into the ring for all of you who are tired and want it to end this’.

So it’s not like I get in there for them to make fun of me, but they give me an important place where I can prove that the woman can be as strong or more than a man. So much so that I can achieve and prove that I can win And dominate the opposite sex. It also has to do with the fact that when we get into a ring we become superheroes, and superheroes can end up with the biggest monster you get, regardless of whether you’re a woman. ”

Now with the topic of contracts and what many ask themselves about. Will you continue with the show for it’s forth season?

“The truth is that the recordings of the fourth season have not yet begun. I finished recording the third one. It does not start yet. I do not know what is going to happen. I am focused on what is my boxing fight. I am totally ready and if tomorrow they make me an invitation for me to continue on the show, I’m there. I have the cards on the table and ready to take any option or offer that I can get in wrestling. As long as it plays into my favor. We will see what happens. I do not want to think so far ahead about what is going to happen. Right now I’m focused on my fight and we will see what happens.”

Not that long ago you were able to attain more experience in the United States. Thanks to the fact that you participated with the company SHIMMER. One of the most recognized companies dedicated to women’s wrestling. How was the experience of working there in such a different environment?

“Extremely different. To what I understand I was the first Mexican to be in that company too. One that is dedicated to purely to feminine talent. Sometimes we think that women are more complicated and therefore imagine the first impression I had when I arrived. To enter and to see that there are like 50 wrestlers and me as well as, 'oh my god, what’s going to happen here’. But I really was wrong. Because I thought there was going to be a lot of conflict for because we were so many, but no. It was a very nice atmosphere and I loved it. Although I did not know anyone and although almost all of them speak English and nobody spoke Spanish. I understand it more than I speak. Despite all that I felt calm and very good to have participated in that company. They made the invitation and I will be with them on April 1. In fact it is my last match before my fight, and as I comment, I will do it because it is a commitment I already had. I do not know what will happen later. But it was very gratifying and satisfying to have been in that company. ”

It has now been commented that the company WWE is advancing in the launch of an exclusive women’s tournament, where some of your colleagues in Mexico have been invited. You already got to take part in a try out with WWE so you can comment. Do you think this tournament can work?

“It is something very interesting and I think they are doing it because they saw that the Mexican wrestling style is working. That it is tougher and more committed, with stronger techniques and dives. A completely different style. I think maybe at first it’s going to be a bit complicated because, I say again, they are very different styles and that can make things a little complicated and can not give the desired performance at the beginning. But over time I think, which is like anything, can offer the desired results. So I think it can work very well. But regarding that I had a try out. I did not have a tryout as such. Through a friend who many people know that is there. I managed to take part in some training, but I never took part in a tryout as such. I think there is confusion because to take part in training and a tryout and it is a totally different thing. I say, I do not know where they got that but OK [laughs] ”.

Now that you start boxing one of the biggest doubts lies in your age, since you are starting over the age of 30, and although one way or another it was part of your life we ??have to ask you. What motivated you to do it now?

“Well I think I like to paddle against tide [laughs], like breaking all that kind of 'you can not’ stuff, because if I can and I’ll prove it to you. When I think of wrestling, the reason was for the depression that was happening in my life that I am attracted to a contact sport. But in this case it was a very short time because the wrestling pulled me in. The whole situation I lived and the feeling I felt being in a ring, letting myself be carried away by the people, by the screams, well … that’s another story. So, it was something that I already had. It had already caught my attention. Maybe I had not done so much in it, but it caught my attention. I tried to fight at the amateur level but the opponents did not appear. Then as not wanting to, years pass. I meet Johnny my husband. I have my daughter and I start to be around him more and more. To go to his fights and I start to get out of wrestling little by little. The spectacle that dawned on me when I would go to wrestling was waining. I begin going to the boxing matches as a fan and I like it. I see it and I say 'I can do it’. I had to wait and let a few years go by because I was involved with the project of Lucha Underground and that prevented me from achieving that. Because you need to dedicate yourself and not travel so much. Train twice a day, three times a day and dedicate yourself to boxing. I did not have the opportunity before and now it’s happening. I know I’m not 30, nor 31, nor 32, I’m 34. Some people do mention 'hey, but you’re not a girl anymore, your reflexes, your speed’ … ”.

I imagine that you knockout who ever tells you that.

“Well, more or less [laughs]. I’ll do it the day I debut. But the truth is that as long as you are a person who is really dedicated and hard-working, you can do it. No matter if you are 40 or 50 years old. Here in Mexico maybe the boxers are younger, but I have noticed and I have begun to investigate and document that there are fighters who pass the age of 38 and are champions. Then there you question if age matters. I think it matters. Plus how your body is. How you feel and train. I am not a woman that has been training for two years. My whole life I have exercised and that has facilitated me to have ease in transitioning to other sports like the box or the MMA that also I love. I think that is more important than age. A part from being a mother. They say that when you are that you want, you reach the maximum strength of your body. So let’s see what happens. To knock out that saying!”

And now that you mention the MMA, have you not thought about practicing that too?

“Yes, I like that very much. In fact, late last year I went to take a test class to see how I felt. I had that curiosity. I saw UFC fighters who manage boxing perfectly and that’s why they have won their fights. There are people who manage the ground work and have won their fights. It is difficult to find a person that masters everything perfectly. So I said 'if I dominate wrestling and I dominate boxing a bit, maybe I can do something in MMA’. I took a class and the teacher told me that if I wanted, I would prepare myself so that in 5 months I would have my MMA fight. I was happy and I do not know if I’m a little crazy, but I’m open to opportunities that can be presented to me and that suit me. So anything can happen.”

So now that we have Alberto El Patrón as president of Combate Americas, it may be that if Paige decides to get into the octagon, we can see you fighting against her, who knows?

“[Laughs] Right on, but of course. For me I could say that it would be an honor because Paige is not just anyone. It is known that she is a world-renowned wrestler and the fact that she was in WWE adds quite the embellishment, and of course. Yes, hopefully she also gets into the cage and says 'orale Alberto, take me because I want to get into the octagon’. There I will be. I am the first that is going to be there. To have a fight with her. Even better, where do I sign? [Laughs]”.

During the interview we have been calling you “Sexy” because that’s what I am used to calling you and that although you have fought without the mask. The character became part of your lifestyle. You never considered keeping the mask to practice boxing as well? Some of your colleagues have done it when practicing MMA.

“Yes. That is a subject that was touched many times. That if we could take care of that part in order to continue the mysticism, but what I was telling you is that goes on in MMA is totally different to boxing. That is, yes there are blows and everything, but boxing goes straight to the face and body. In MMA you can tie up and do not concentrate on the face. It would be more complicated to use a mask for visibility and everything. I do not think it can work. The truth is, with the mask when you’re doing sparring it makes you uncomfortable. With the mask it would be worse because, it is not designed for that. Apart from that they could be out-of-program fighting or not counted. I do not know, it would be something different. It was difficult to make that decision. It was super difficult. I think that in the history of wrestling nobody has ever decided to remove the mask as I did, or reveal the identity rather. Not so much to take it away because it was not that I took it and changed my name. Of course not. I always tried to respect that part. Besides that I did not lose the mask. It was for an extraordinary situation that I had to do it and that would not cause me trouble If one day they offer me to continue giving life to that character. Because I never lost the mask, so everything would be legal.”

Now that your career is expanding, and because Mexico is Mexico, we have to ask you, would you also like to venture into acting?

“I would love to! I graduated in communication science. I finished my degree and in fact when I started to wrestle I had 2 years of having finished my degree. My sister is in the media. She has been a TV host for many years so I think we have it in the blood. The cameras love me so I am open to any proposal.”

Sexy Dulce interviewed by solowrestling.com editor Walter Rosales

follow Walter on twitter @WalterRosalesII

click link below for original interview in Spanish

https://www.solowrestling.com/new/60068-sexy-stardulce-garcia-en-exclusiva-voy-a-noquear-a-las-criticas-el-dia-que-debute

Just barely read the article on LU that was posted in the last page. Most horrible news when I thought LU had such a bright future.

No matter what happens, the rest of Season 3 better air then get put on netflix soon after. All 3 season better remain on there for a long time damn it!

So very sad right now

Pro Wrestling Sheet posted an article the very next day talking about how El Rey officials are supposedly very happy with the show and optimistic about making more seasons.

I know dirtsheets are always garbage, but it seems like their coverage of LU is even worse. Ever since the show came out there's been tons of stuff posted about how it's supposedly a big failure and going away soon. We know the show is expensive and I'm sure it could be doing better, but we haven't seen any real evidence to suggest that it's over. On the contrary, everything that we've heard from El Rey has been optimistic and now they're in more homes than ever with the Netflix deal.

Whenever it does end, I just hope they can wrap up all of the stories. It'd be a shame if they have to rush to a finale where the whole temple blows up and everyone dies or something. But even that would be better than it ending in the middle of a story. In a perfect world, they'll go out on their terms and this thing will have a clear beginning, middle, and end.

Lucha Underground star Sexy Star who now competes under the name Dulce Garcia sans her mask was victorious in her boxing debut last night in Metepec against Yaneli Hernandez.

The former masked star won in four rounds via unanimous decision.

Dulce has been training for several years and full-time for over a year under the command of her husband, former WBC featherweight champion Johny Gonzalez.

https://twitter.com/tdn_twit/status/855985066610221056

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/sexy-star-victorious-in-boxing-debut/

I really dig LU's ability to make unique matches. Catching up on Netflix and I recently watched the casket match between Fenix and Mil Muertes. So much more than a casket match. The presentation of it...with the Dia de Muertos introduction...the use of the actual casket as a weapon, the placement of flowers around the ring. Whole thing was just above and beyond being a standard casket match. It was a work of art.

Archived