Official WWE UK Championship Tournament Discussion Thread

ZEF

I like the look of the belt...and I love hearing about more tournaments. But, I'm not really sure that this one is necessary. An extreme rules belt would have been more logical...

Id say its kinda necessary. Not in a biased way, but British Strong Style and Brit Wrestling is very hot and important right now and doing something like this allows WWE to expand their product, their image and style in the ring. It's about growth as a company and shines a spotlight on this big aspect of the wrestling world for casual viewers. I don't think an Extreme Rules title necessarily does any of that, we had ECW and we had a Hardcore title. That being said I'm certainly not opposed to the idea, I do like hardcore wrasslin.

No one said he was making them up.

You're saying it like it's a forgone conclusion that WWE is scared of and wants fight World of Sport, but like this tournament (logistically) would have taken months to prepare. So why not just open your mind a bit and recognise that WWE may just want to put on a British tournament despite whether they have some competition over here or not. Stop writing things off as fact when you're reading second hand information on the internet.

You keep saying this like WoS reboot hasn't been in the works for months. What do you think takes more time to prepare a tournament on the WWE Network or a reboot of something like WoS on national TV?

For *censored*s sake people stfu and just enjoy the fact that we are getting a new title & tournament. Idk why some of yall need a reason for shit to happen all the time...

I'm thinking bigger picture. WWE is getting a new title & tournament at the expense of growing english promotions, I think the latter is better for Wrestling as a whole than the first. That's all I'm saying, this is just another step in WWE trying to monopolize the wrestling game even more.

also something interesting that was pointed out is that the WWE contracts (the 'mark') ones are basically zero hour contracts (those are unpopular here and were supposedly gonna be made illegal at one point) and that working for ITV, WCPW or whoever would allow NHS, whilst a WWE shit contract wouldn't etc.

Was about to mention guaranteed health care as well. Groundbreaking for wrestling, if WoS is a success despite WWE I wonder if it could ever lead to a union of professional wrestlers.

Tf are you even talking about? Point out where I said rebooting World of Sport wouldn't take time to prepare ... They would have been planning it long before WWE heard of it. WWE would have also been planning this tournament before they heard the news about WoS too. My point is, it's not so black and white to assume that WWE are just doing this out of spite. That's a huge gamble to produce an entire TV show on the basis of spite. So stop saying it like it's a forgone conclusion. They might just be doing it out of spite, however you do not know that, I do not know that and we will never know that. The likelihood is, they aren't.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're obviously doing it to capitalize on British Wrestling being hot atm, thats a pure fact. Is it a bad thing? No its not for the WWE and the talents. It may be bad for other companies that are trying to grow but it is what it is. Yeah the WWE killed territories but Business is business.

Now lets move on from it. Also don't know why dirtsheets are so heavily discredited nowadays. They basically called this tournament when they mentioned WWE sniping talents with contracts to keep them from performing at certain places. Well now two companies have champs in this tournament.

No one said he was making them up.

You're saying it like it's a forgone conclusion that WWE is scared of and wants fight World of Sport, but like this tournament (logistically) would have taken months to prepare. So why not just open your mind a bit and recognise that WWE may just want to put on a British tournament despite whether they have some competition over here or not. Stop writing things off as fact when you're reading second hand information on the internet.

You keep saying this like WoS reboot hasn't been in the works for months. What do you think takes more time to prepare a tournament on the WWE Network or a reboot of something like WoS on national TV?

Tf are you even talking about? Point out where I said rebooting World of Sport wouldn't take time to prepare ... They would have been planning it long before WWE heard of it. WWE would have also been planning this tournament before they heard the news about WoS too. My point is, it's not so black and white to assume that WWE are just doing this out of spite. That's a huge gamble to produce an entire TV show on the basis of spite. So stop saying it like it's a forgone conclusion. They might just be doing it out of spite, however you do not know that, I do not know that and we will never know that. The likelihood is, they aren't.

You're saying WWE has been working on this before it was known WoS reboot is coming, I'm saying that's unlikely. WWE is a multi million dollar company with a huge amount of people working for them in every continent, I don't think it would take that long of a time to prepare a simple network exclusive 2 day tournament.

Just going by the dirtsheet reports.

If reality went by dirtsheet reports, then CM Punk would've returned a hundred times, Eddie Guerrero would've come back from the dead, Dixie Carter would've been revealed to be working for vince, and NJPW would've gone to war with WWE. Dirt sheets are shit most of the time.

They're obviously doing it to capitalize on British Wrestling being hot atm, thats a pure fact. Is it a bad thing? No its not for the WWE and the talents. It may be bad for other companies that are trying to grow but it is what it is. Yeah the WWE killed territories but Business is business.

Now lets move on from it. Also don't know why dirtsheets are so heavily discredited nowadays. They basically called this tournament when they mentioned WWE sniping talents with contracts to keep them from performing at certain places. Well now two companies have champs in this tournament.

Nobody heavily discredited them. However, you can't just believe everything they say. Or else WWE would currently own TNA's video library and shit like that.

If reality went by dirtsheet reports, then CM Punk would've returned a hundred times, Eddie Guerrero would've come back from the dead, Dixie Carter would've been revealed to be working for vince, and NJPW would've gone to war with WWE. Dirt sheets are shit most of the time.

Hyperbole

Nobody heavily discredited them. However, you can't just believe everything they say. Or else WWE would currently own TNA's video library and shit like that.

WWE tried

There's dirtsheets and dirtsheets. That's the same thing as saying newspapers aren't trustworthy most of the time.

I'm not sure what the point of another title/division is tbh...if this were a yearly thing, that'd be pretty sweet though.

Regardless, tournament should be good. Admittedly I'm not really familiar with any of these guys, but I'm sure they'll win me over. Shame Galloway and Grado aren't in this, but they are working for TNA, so...

McGuiness finally being in WWE is crazy. I just wish it was under a different role, but it's dope af nonetheless.

I'm not sure how I like the pairing of McGuiness and Cole, though.

Cole showed that he can be a good commentator when orders aren't being barked at him, during the Beast in The East event. Hopefully this is the same way

1. Why not the European Championship?

2. Where does this fit with the four other men's singles championships on Raw and Smackdown?

1. Because the UK is the central hub for wrestling in Europe. Plus it's so hot right now. The tournament features solely British wrestlers, which can be anyone from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. However nobody says after the tournament is done only British wrestlers can hold the belt. That might only be a tournament thing.

2. Nobody knows yet.

Triple H definitely made it sound like they're getting their own show too. Not sure if he means it's gonna be like 205 live where they travel with the roster too or if it's gonna be in the UK every week for the Network.

Triple H definitely made it sound like they're getting their own show too. Not sure if he means it's gonna be like 205 live where they travel with the roster too or if it's gonna be in the UK every week for the Network.

It would be sweet if they filmed it in the UK every week. Could be a good business adventure for WWE. Hiring British cameramen and production crews so they don't have to send people over every week. Plus they could tour.

Archived