Aquarium's

FulGore

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have like maybe 10 of all different sizes. I'll post pics soon. Will that one come with everything inside it? They rarely do so make sure.

Yep, it is a kit, comes with everything I need. After I get the tank I plan on starting out with 5-6 Neon Tetra's. Would you have any suggestions on what else I could stock with those? I would at least like to have a showcase fish, then have fish that swim around the surface, fish that swim mid tank, and then a bottomfeeder.

OK, first off, I've never heard of a 13-gallon aquarium. I thought they always came in rounded out numbers like 2.5, 5,10, 20, 30 gallons etc? My biggest one is a 50 gallon I found on the street but it is only 1/4th full and it has a pair of turtles. Not sure how much that aquarium will cost you but the actual aquarium on it's own shouldn't be more than $20-30, the decorations like the rocks might be $10 each, ditto for the plants and the filter and light might be another $30-40 combined. I would try the local second hand stores as sometimes for $35 or so you can get a fairly large aquarium with a lot of decorations and the filter way cheaper.

Once you have the whole thing set up in your house my biggest piece of advice is don't buy a ton of really pricey fish right away, the water has to be conditioned just right. You can achieve this by putting in special drops to get rid of the chlorine and other harmful chemicals in tap water, OR fill the aquarium up with bottled water. Some fish will die off within days of being put in a new tank. You might want to see if the water is ready by buying cheap/inexpensive but pretty looking feeder gold fish that cost like 15-25 cents each. You can get like 10 or 15 of these guys for a dollar to start off your aquarium.

I could go on about this as there's a lot of stuff that happens in a little fish tank. Weird algae and fungus will grow, some so sticky that if you touch it you won't be able to get it off with just soap and water. Also, frequent water changes are NOT recommended, I haven't changed all of my tanks water in over a year, simply just add more water as it lowers in the tank because it will evaporate slowly.

I'll put up some pics of my tanks later just to show off. Aquariums are a really fun hobby to take your mind off of things.

It is called a widescreen tank. http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/13-led-widescreen-aquarium-kit.htm

I plan on having a planted tank. I want it to be as low tech as possible. I don't want a large tank, due to just starting. I pwan on cycling the tank for a couple of weeks. I am in no rush. The kit floats around 100 or so bucks, but my local Petco has it for half that.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not... the larger the tank is, the easier it is to keep your water parameters under control. The little 29 gallon biocube saltwater display that I started off with would give me fits keeping all of those numbers in check... but when I upgraded to a 90 gallon saltwater tank, it seemed like the same water parameters would give me less of a headache. *shrug*

Word to the wise: let your tank cycle itself before you go spending hard earned money on livestock/plants/coral/invertebrates. You'll save yourself a lot of time & money by being extra patient.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php

I plan to cycle my tank. It will give me enough time to add/adjust decorations. My girlfriend bought me a filter for it today for my birthday. I went with the Marineland Biowheel Penguin 350. I plan to have a lot of plants, so the dual action Biowheel will be nice.

fylvlk.jpg

So here's three of my tanks, I found all three of them. The one in front has a toad in it, I would guess it's about 100 gallons in capacity, it's my biggest one but as you can see it has a crack on the left lower side so putting water in it is out of the question. The big one behind it is probably a 80 gallon or so with two red ear sliders, filled up to maybe one fifth, and the smaller one I use to feed the turtles in it. They are all outside so the water is green as you can see but in the winter time or colder months, like now, that water turns from green to clear all by itself.

I'm trying to upload a pic of my 20 gallon indoor aquarium with fish in it but it won't work atm, I will post it when I get it to work. As you can see these tanks aren't just for aquatic animals and they can be quite fun to put other things in it, toads in particular are great as they are super easy to care for.

4giIEQF.jpg

OFqdG1t.jpg

ZRuh7q6.jpg

zda33lf.jpg

Very nice setup! :cool:

I love salt water tanks, definitely want to do one in the future.

What do you all have in that tank? Is that Oranage fish with the black stripes some sort of cichlid?

http://i67.tinypic.com/fylvlk.jpg

So here's three of my tanks, I found all three of them. The one in front has a toad in it, I would guess it's about 100 gallons in capacity, it's my biggest one but as you can see it has a crack on the left lower side so putting water in it is out of the question. The big one behind it is probably a 80 gallon or so with two red ear sliders, filled up to maybe one fifth, and the smaller one I use to feed the turtles in it. They are all outside so the water is green as you can see but in the winter time or colder months, like now, that water turns from green to clear all by itself.

I'm trying to upload a pic of my 20 gallon indoor aquarium with fish in it but it won't work atm, I will post it when I get it to work. As you can see these tanks aren't just for aquatic animals and they can be quite fun to put other things in it, toads in particular are great as they are super easy to care for.

It is a shame about that 100 gallon. There are tricks you can do to patch cracks, but it wouldn't look as good.

Three anthias

Three blue-green reef chromis

Two percula clownfish

One yellow tang

One flame angelfish (the red/orange one with black stripes you asked about)

One royal gramma

One peppermint shrimp (cleanup crew)

Several different snail types, as well as hermit crabs (cleanup crew, very important)

That is a nice list you have there.

For my clean up crew, I have 4 Julii Cory Catfish in mind. I thought about some Ghost Shrimp as well, but I read that they can bully smaller fish when they get more mature, and I plan on having a school of Neon Tetra's, and they're pretty small.

I used to hear the same thing about peppermint shrimp being bullies, but the one I have is a model citizen. That little bastich cleaned up all of the bubble algae problem that I had in the tank, so he gets a pass. lol

How did you clean it? I've been told to use bleach by some, vinegar by others, and soap by some, but I prefer the natural water and hard scrubbing. Some vinegar is good as well and really hot water but I try not to use anything too harsh that will stick to the glass and will be hard to get out.

Archived