Defiant (Formerly WCPW)

Twisted...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's a shitty thing to do but it's not like it's a crime or anything. Huge overreaction. And that chick that came out with the news acting like he raped her or forced her to send nudes or something. Don't get this at all.

Sounds like a typical modern day feminist. Crying about exploitation as if there weren't multiple chances for her to say no. He's a dirtbag, but he's not a criminal.

Agreed what he did was morally wrong but from an employment law point of view he's not done anything to warrant being let go or "jumping before he's pushed" from his job. Unless he used works e-mail/mobile and/or can be proved he did it on works time.

It's not even a story or has any relevence outside of his now ex-partner who is the victim here and not an adult women who made an adult decision to send the nudes, how can you be "pressured" into taking a nude of yourself and actively uploading and sending it, just simply ignore the message or delete it.

That's the sad thing about all this BS. Real smucks are getting booked and that's great. BUT now things like nudes are an issue if the guy is famous...like WHAT...

If fame manipulates a person's decision to sleep with somebody who is famous, that's not the famous person's fault. That's a choice. Whether male or female.

I don't think it's so much about asking for nudes as it is about lying to them about being in a open relationship and about his girlfriend being at all okay with any of this lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back in a year or so, or even in a couple months. They just don't wanna look bad right now as Cultaholic/Defiant is still very new.

I don't think it's so much about asking for nudes as it is about lying to them about being in a open relationship and about his girlfriend being at all okay with any of this lol.

From the prints the girl put out it actually didn't seem to be the case, iirc. And still, we're all acknowledging he's a douche, that's not in question.

Just felt like a case of a girl with a guilty conscience and not enough attention from him.

Yeah but who cares. Like I dont mean to be insensitive but thats still not something that should warrant vilifying him to the point where he cant find work.

Cheating isnt good. But its not illegal lol.

• 1 year later...

It'll be down to a profitability, or lack thereof. While they have lost a number of wrestlers that have signed to NXT UK, there are still plenty of talented independent wrestlers in the UK for them to be able to put on good shows.

If they'd had the sense to not call it WCPW from the start, I think it could have done considerably better. Re-branding as Defiant was a good move, but it was too little too late. People associated 'What Culture' with cringy internet buzzfeed-culture and top ten lists. They never should have presented a wrestling product under that umbrella. Regardless of the big names they got to perform, it was always going to be easy to make jokes about the shitty name and the origins of the brand. I 100% think that was the main factor in the product failing to catch on.

Similarly, I think AEW has a shit name...but they won't have the same problems...for obvious reasons.

But WCPW was realllly popular and only really started declining when the What Culture people who were associated left the company.

Is "really popular" truly accurate?

It had a good following because they were booking high profile people like Del Rio, Cody Rhodes, and Kurt Angle at a time when indy feds weren't really doing that. I don't think it was the company itself that had a fanbase or a following...and more that they kept having marquee names appear. As soon as those names were gone, it wasn't like WCPW had a loyal fanbase that was going to stick around. Compare it to a place like MLW. Major League Wrestling is great at booking big names. But at the same time, MLW definitely has a loyal following with or without those names. People come and people go...and MLW actually does have homegrown talent that people care about.

WCPW was less of a wrestling company, and more of brand that promoted big matches from time to time. I couldn't begin to list any names of people who "cut their teeth" in WCPW...it was just a promotion that went "we spent a lot of money on bringing in these top guys...so here's a match you never thought you would see outside of the WWE". They were like a circus. Roll through town with one big attraction, then disappear from memory until they did it again.

Depends how closely you followed the product (I didn't either). They had that weekly TV show that showcased a lot of UK talent at a time when WWE was only rumored to possibly be interested in the idea of maybe expanding into a new area, possibly the UK. They had their own storylines and whatnot but a large part of their fanbase was only following to a level you mentioned.

They were a money mark fed for the most part tbh. I think what really killed them was the signing away of several of the top UK guys by WWE and then the YouTube ad revenue thing shortly afterwards. They probably lost a lot of fans once they could no longer put Cody Rhodes vs. Drew Galloway in a throwaway match in the middle of a card.

Archived